Need a new iMac

1 minute ago, MDM said:

I'm afraid I don't do mechanical Allan. Not one of my talents. 

I do mechanical but would have to dismount the screen to get to it. I'd rather let it be or I will make something up to hold it in the vertical position.

Allan

It's hard to visualise what is wrong without seeing it but maybe contact MacUpgrades on Monday as they might be able to help. They keep secondhand parts. I got a screen for my MacBook Pro a few years ago, fitted as well for less than half the price of a new one from Apple. 

40 minutes ago, MDM said:

It's hard to visualise what is wrong without seeing it but maybe contact MacUpgrades on Monday as they might be able to help. They keep secondhand parts. I got a screen for my MacBook Pro a few years ago, fitted as well for less than half the price of a new one from Apple. 

Thanks Mick.

Allan

Just looked up repair for broken clutch mechanism on 27" iMac. It is very simple to repair and I do not even need the repair kit. The major part of the job is removing the screen without breaking it and remembering to buy the new adhesive strips fo  fixing the screen back on the body.

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell
Added repair statement.

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Sorry to butt in but my 27" iMac has developed a fault and wondered if you could help?

It seems that the braking mechanism in the tilting system has failed and the screen is sitting at a peculiar angle. (Top out towards me and bottom in away from me. Had to lower height of my chair to see the screen full on.

Allan

Unlike the older 27" iMac's, the newer thin models use plastic in the stand mechanism. Black plastic supports the end of each of the 2 tensioned springs, the plastic breaks. Ideally the mechanism requires replacement. Once the mechanism is removed (display, hard drive, power supply, stand, chin and logic board have to be removed first) you'll be able to see if one or both the plastic pieces are broken. You might be able to fit a wide M6 washer to replace the plastic using the existing screws, but retentioning the spring is likely to be difficult. Unless you are sure you can undertake the repair, don't attempt it yourself. You can cause very expensive damage. Additional to the VHB strip cutter and strips, you'll need a selection of torx drivers, a small philips screw driver for the chin screws, an anti static mat and ESD wrist band and lead. Also some 50mm wide masking tape to equally overlap bottom of the display and the aluminium below it. This acts as a hinge for when the VHB strips are cut through, the display is then carefully lowered from the top, 2 cables from the display are then disconnected from the logic board. Then the display is lowered further, keeping pressure pushing it towards the iMac. This allows access to tabs on the outer edges of the 2 bottom VHB strips. These are each pulled to the centre to remove the strips. Then the display can carefully be removed and placed somewhere safe. I've replaced plenty, pity you weren't local.

Edited by sb photos
  • Love 1

41 minutes ago, sb photos said:

Unlike the older 27" iMac's, the newer thin models use plastic in the stand mechanism. Black plastic supports the end of each of the 2 tensioned springs, the plastic breaks. Ideally the mechanism requires replacement. Once the mechanism is removed (display, hard drive, power supply, stand, chin and logic board have to be removed first) you'll be able to see if one or both the plastic pieces are broken. You might be able to fit a wide M6 washer to replace the plastic using the existing screws, but retentioning the spring is likely to be difficult. Unless you are sure you can undertake the repair, don't attempt it yourself. You can cause very expensive damage. Additional to the VHB strip cutter and strips, you'll need a selection of torx drivers, a small philips screw driver for the chin screws, an anti static mat and ESD wrist band and lead. Also some 50mm wide masking tape to equally overlap bottom of the display and the aluminium below it. This acts as a hinge for when the VHB strips are cut through, the display is then carefully lowered from the top, 2 cables from the display are then disconnected from the logic board. Then the display is lowered further, keeping pressure pushing it towards the iMac. This allows access to tabs on the outer edges of the 2 bottom VHB strips. These are each pulled to the centre to remove the strips. Then the display can carefully be removed and placed somewhere safe. I've replaced plenty, pity you weren't local.

That sounds like a very difficult job. I recall that Allan's iMac is 2013 so I presume that counts as an older model as he seems to think is simple?

3 minutes ago, MDM said:

That sounds like a very difficult job. I recall that Allan's iMac is 2013 so I presume that counts as an older model as he seems to think is simple?

Allan's is the skinny iMac with no optical drive. The older models were 2009 - 2011, heavier and even with their 3 fans the top would run very hot. The only reason the mechanism failed in those was shipping with the base on the bottom of its box and heavy handed couriers. That would damage the mechanism and bend the stand in line with the large round hole.

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, sb photos said:

Allan's is the skinny iMac with no optical drive. The older models were 2009 - 2011, heavier and even with their 3 fans the top would run very hot. The only reason the mechanism failed in those was shipping with the base on the bottom of its box and heavy handed couriers. That would damage the mechanism and bend the stand in line with the large round hole.

So not as easy as he thinks then. Taking the screen off would be daunting enough if one had never done it. We shall see. 

3 hours ago, sb photos said:

2 hours ago, MDM said:

So not as easy as he thinks then. Taking the screen off would be daunting enough if one had never done it. We shall see. 

Hi gents, I did look at a youtube video on how it was done. I am not phased by the work but just to be on the safe side I will wedge the bottom of the screen unit so it is in the vertical position for now. I would hate to be without the machine for any length of time should anything go wrong at this sensitive time. (you know what I mean)

Allan

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Just an update. It seems all is well with my Mac. I’ve been processing images without getting the low RAM message.

It’s a wrap, folks, and thanks for the brain power you’ve offered.

Excellent news Betty 😁

Carol

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Just an update. It seems all is well with my Mac. I’ve been processing images without getting the low RAM message.

It’s a wrap, folks, and thanks for the brain power you’ve offered.

Glad you're up and running. Not sure if you have a USB hub and/or separate SD card reader, or if you keep plugging stuff into the back. If so you might find one of these useful.

https://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Aluminum-Type-C-Clamp-Reader/dp/B078859974 (silver)

or

https://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Aluminum-Type-C-Clamp-Reader/dp/B078853NCS?th=1 (grey)

I've got the second one on my 2017 iMac and it works really well. It's also compatible with the 2019 iMac (which I think you now have?).

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

8 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Glad you're up and running. Not sure if you have a USB hub and/or separate SD card reader, or if you keep plugging stuff into the back. If so you might find one of these useful.

https://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Aluminum-Type-C-Clamp-Reader/dp/B078859974 (silver)

or

https://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Aluminum-Type-C-Clamp-Reader/dp/B078853NCS?th=1 (grey)

I've got the second one on my 2017 iMac and it works really well. It's also compatible with the 2019 iMac (which I think you now have?).

Mark

My computer is the 2020 Mac. I do have a hub and a card reader that works great. It has ports for two sizes. Wow, those are cool readers!

Edited by Betty LaRue