Lack of USA sales for UK contributor

5 hours ago, wiskerke said:

At $19,999.99 a day. Boy did we choose the wrong profession.

I'm not sure what populates that region column. I'm guessing it's where the payment comes from.

wim

Well, not really. Better to be poor (but not too poor) in the long run. 

My understanding of "Region" in RM licensing is that it refers to where the work will be distributed and sold -- e.g. UK in the Region column means that the work will be published (maybe) and distributed in the UK. Of course, the Web has made just about everything "Worldwide", so it's all a bit muddled up now.

Edited by John Mitchell

5 hours ago, Marianne said:

I've sold some face masks (elsewhere obviously) to folks in red states, so maybe they're coming around. 

Was on the phone with one of my cousins just now and he was bemoaning the fact that many of our younger relatives are looking to get dual Italian or Irish citizenship and leave these shores for the countries our or there (we're both of Italian descent) came from. My husband is looking into Irish citizenship as our daughter is among those considering saner shores. One of my grandparents was born here and the others apparently became citizens early enough in the 20th century that they were deemed to have given up their Italian citizenship, so I'd need to visit as a tourist though I was looking into how to become an Irish citizen if my husband becomes one. The nuns who taught me would be so proud...

Scary stuff going on in this country I love so much. I have to take news blackout days or I lose too much sleep. Praying saner voices will prevail but if my daughter moves abroad, I may get to meet some of you fine folks across the pond. My husband's grandmother was from Sligo Ed. The Irony is that she died before he was born so he'd get citizenship through a relative he never even met. Weird world we live in. 

The internet has brought all of us here together from around the world, yet it is tearing nations and even families apart. So very sad but I don't know what the answer is.

Sales do seem to be picking up all over. Perhaps the promise of a vaccine is giving people hope? 

My grandfather, a bricklayer and stone mason from Cumbria, was among those "huddled masses" lining up on Ellis Island during the early years of the 20th century. I can't help wondering what he would think of what is going on now.

I see that Noel has sent you the Irish government link. Great.

In the ‘80s, after leaving American Airlines in Texas, I had a few important clients in England. I ended up living there, but as an American, I couldn’t be a legal resident.  In Rome, a friend of a friend at the Irish embassy explained to me that because I had Irish grandparents, I was considered an Irish citizen. He also told me how to make that happen and get a passport.

Back in London (and Oxford), I phoned the records office in Sligo and asked for my father’s father’s birth certificate. In those days records were held locally. Now you contact:

“A certificate of an entry in any register, regardless of the year involved, can be purchased from the General Register Office by fax or post by completing the relevant application form which can be downloaded at Apply for Certificates.”

I also needed my father’s birth certificate and my own. I presented all this stuff at the Irish embassy in London and got my Irish citizenship paper, took that to the next window and got my Irish passport.

That’s the way I now remember it. That memory is probably faulty.

Good luck, Marianne.

Edited by Ed Rooney

I went through the process Edo describes. There are two stages first get all the paperwork and apply for citizenship. Then once you have citizenship you can apply for an Irish passport the same as any other citizen. You need to have one grandparent born in Ireland, copies of their birth certificate, your mother's birth certificate, your birth certificate, and probably one or two other bits and pieces such as parents marriage certificate. You get the status of a foreign registered birth (or similar terminology).

It took some time to assemble all the paperwork, then for the Irish authorities to process it all ( Brexit related increase in applications) and there is an application cost. 

I have done my DNA tests and it comes out largely Irish ( Cork on paternal side, Carlow/Wexford on maternal) so I was planning to do this all along but Brexit certainly got me going on it. I am proud of that heritage so actually getting citizenship and the passport was important to me. Unfortunately that is the end of the road - I can't pass that on to my children.  

Just wondering how we got onto this.......??

Edited by geogphotos

Going back to Ian's question

631 sales so far in 2020

2 to the United States; an advertising sale in June for my highest fee ever, and a reasonable $$ sale for TV use in November.

Thats that for the USA (and I do have about 2000+ images taken in the USA)

Kumar

19 minutes ago, Doc said:

Going back to Ian's question

631 sales so far in 2020

2 to the United States; an advertising sale in June for my highest fee ever, and a reasonable $$ sale for TV use in November.

Thats that for the USA (and I do have about 2000+ images taken in the USA)

Kumar

Only 2! That does raise questions. You might find more s I did if you look in the Regions category from the downloaded spreadsheet. 

• Love 1

Continuing the side conversation......

I was adopted as an infant. Until three years ago, I had no idea three of my biological grandparents were born in Italy. I’ve submitted my documentation and am hoping to have recognition of my Italian citizenship completed within the next year. 

• Love 3

1 hour ago, Cecile Marion said:

Continuing the side conversation......

I was adopted as an infant. Until three years ago, I had no idea three of my biological grandparents were born in Italy. I’ve submitted my documentation and am hoping to have recognition of my Italian citizenship completed within the next year. 

Wonderful!

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

"You need to have one grandparent born in Ireland."

All 4 of mine were, but my father's father was the only one I had a location and a year for. I thought Ian was a Scottish name?

I have Scot and Irish, but farther back than grandparents. My grandfather on the maternal side had Scotch lineage.

Scotch is the whiskey; the people are Scotts or Scottish. There were a lot of us Celts in the early days of America. My son in Canada is married to a descendent of the original French fur traders. It takes guts to go off to a place you don't know. 

5 hours ago, Normspics said:

I have not download the spreadsheet but I appear to be mr worldwide.

Check the "Region" column in the downloaded sales report. As far as I know, that will tell you where the image was published -- UK, EU, US, or ROW (Rest of World). An image can be published in the UK, US, etc, and then the work distributed "Worldwide". This is the way I interpret it, anyway.

Edited by John Mitchell

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Scotch is the whiskey; the people are Scotts or Scottish. There were a lot of us Celts in the early days of America. My son in Canada is married to a descendent of the original French fur traders. It takes guts to go off to a place you don't know. 

"the people are Scotts" - Scots.

On 18/11/2020 at 22:17, John Mitchell said:

My grandfather, a bricklayer and stone mason from Cumbria, was among those "huddled masses" lining up on Ellis Island during the early years of the 20th century. I can't help wondering what he would think of what is going on now.

And mine as well. Two of my grandparents came over as orphaned teenagers, and the other at age 2 when her father and grandfather, who came here not long after she was born, had saved up enough to send for her and my great-grandmother. They were all so grateful for the chance to improve their lives and would be appalled at those who would deny that opportunity to others. My daughter visited Ellis Island on a 3rd grade field trip. I'd never been but when she was 10 we had a girl from Belfast staying with us for the summer as part of a program called the Northern Irish Children's Exchange (to help show that people of varied faiths can live together so well here, ironic, huh?) Anyway, Sam and Lizzy wanted to see the Statue of Liberty so we took them on a tour around NY harbor that also stopped at Ellis Island and our ten-year-old proceeded to educate us about it. My husband and I got goosebumps thinking of our grandmothers who had come through there (my grandfather arrived in Boston and made his way to his family in NY without knowing a word of English - a few decades later he owned his own business in Manhattan and was designing jewelry for clients such as Greta Garbo - that's the promise and I hate to see it change. 

• Love 1

10 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

"You need to have one grandparent born in Ireland."

All 4 of mine were, but my father's father was the only one I had a location and a year for. I thought Ian was a Scottish name?

I very nearly had my birth registered as David Ian Murray - until somebody twigged that would make me DIM.

No further comments needed 😁