Lack of USA sales for UK contributor

I'm too bone idle to do the stats, but my gut feeling is that my small collection of photos taken in the USA far outperforms my general portfolio, both in terms of numbers sold per image available and income per sale, and of these most sales are to the US.  

On the other hand my pictures taken on the continent of Europe, of which I have many, considerably underperform my UK collection, and this is more of an issue in my view.

6 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Scotch is the whiskey; the people are Scotts or Scottish.

Being pedantic (and a Scot) Scotch is the Whisky (no e), the people are Scots or Scottish (Scott is a surname, Scott’s is a brand of porage oats).

Edited by Malcolm Park
additional info

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

I'm too bone idle to do the stats, but my gut feeling is that my small collection of photos taken in the USA far outperforms my general portfolio, both in terms of numbers sold per image available and income per sale, and of these most sales are to the US.  

On the other hand my pictures taken on the continent of Europe, of which I have many, considerably underperform my UK collection, and this is more of an issue in my view.

My NYC pics show more sales and higher prices than all other locales. But Liverpool has moved into the second position.

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Marianne said:

And mine as well. Two of my grandparents came over as orphaned teenagers, and the other at age 2 when her father and grandfather, who came here not long after she was born, had saved up enough to send for her and my great-grandmother. They were all so grateful for the chance to improve their lives and would be appalled at those who would deny that opportunity to others. My daughter visited Ellis Island on a 3rd grade field trip. I'd never been but when she was 10 we had a girl from Belfast staying with us for the summer as part of a program called the Northern Irish Children's Exchange (to help show that people of varied faiths can live together so well here, ironic, huh?) Anyway, Sam and Lizzy wanted to see the Statue of Liberty so we took them on a tour around NY harbor that also stopped at Ellis Island and our ten-year-old proceeded to educate us about it. My husband and I got goosebumps thinking of our grandmothers who had come through there (my grandfather arrived in Boston and made his way to his family in NY without knowing a word of English - a few decades later he owned his own business in Manhattan and was designing jewelry for clients such as Greta Garbo - that's the promise and I hate to see it change. 

Thanks for sharing your heartwarming story. Hopefully "Lady Liberty will be able to withstand the current onslaught by you-know-who. Fortunately, the US has very strong democratic institutions and a persistent free press. Without those, it would have become a tinpot dictatorship during the past four years. I'll zip-up now. 🤐

• Love 1
  • Like 3

Thanks John.

My favorite quote from Thomas Jefferson about freedom of the press: "...were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter."

It's been good to see the actual press here (both in print, online and on TV) honestly reacting to what has been going on and calling out the untruths. It's hard to zip-up when democracy is on the line. I'd venture to say that it is wrong. As the Irish philosopher and statesman Edmund Burke said, "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Good to know our neighbors to the north are pulling for us. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Marianne said:

Thanks John.

My favorite quote from Thomas Jefferson about freedom of the press: "...were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter."

It's been good to see the actual press here (both in print, online and on TV) honestly reacting to what has been going on and calling out the untruths. It's hard to zip-up when democracy is on the line. I'd venture to say that it is wrong. As the Irish philosopher and statesman Edmund Burke said, "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Good to know our neighbors to the north are pulling for us. 

We all have to pull together or we'll get pulled apart. I was listening to Carl Bernstein (of Watergate fame) speak today. He has been trying to warn Americans for the past five years about what is happening to their democracy. It seems that many have listened to sane voices like his, so perhaps there is still some hope. That said, I fear that DT has managed to change the US forever. A dangerous road lies ahead.

• Love 2

On 20/11/2020 at 05:13, Ed Rooney said:

My NYC pics show more sales and higher prices than all other locales. But Liverpool has moved into the second position.

If you search the word "Scotch" in the Alamy search field, you also get:

Scotch tape (a popular brand in the USA)

Scotch bonnet pepper

Scotch eggs

Scotch pie

Scotch beef

Scotch Argus

in addition to Scotch Whisky (or Whiskey)

28 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Scotch bonnet pepper

Scotch eggs

Scotch pie

Scotch beef

Scotch Argus

Also there is:

wheel scotch

hop scotch

33 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Are you talking USA sales or sales in general?

Lack of sales in general.  Since you are doing much better John, maybe there is something to the idea that micro stock cannibalizes sales here.  Or this is just the result of pandemic fallout.

37 minutes ago, Reimar said:

Lack of sales in general.  Since you are doing much better John, maybe there is something to the idea that micro stock cannibalizes sales here.  Or this is just the result of pandemic fallout.

Well, not so good this month, well below average so far. The pandemic is definitely having an effect, especially on "travel" images. I'd love to see more sales in Canada, but I guess it's a small market in the scheme of things, especially compared to our populous southern neighbour.

2 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Scotch bonnet pepper

Scotch eggs

Scotch pie

Scotch beef

Scotch Argus

I deliberately add Scotch whiskey as well as Scotch whisky (correct) as tags since so many people don’t know the difference. If you are in Ireland it’s whiskey.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Reimar said:

MAYBE????

https://global.oup.com/education/content/tech_support/credits/?region=uk

Try searching the credits for these textbooks. Work down the list one at a time. 

Whatever happened to the micro stockers argument that it was all about serving a new market and would not affect traditional stock?

Still, plenty of you people feel that you 'have no choice'. 

Then why not go and see how much each of those textbooks costs? 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

MAYBE????

Try searching the credits for these textbooks. Work down the list one at a time. 

Whatever happened to the micro stockers argument that it was all about serving a new market and would not affect traditional stock?

Yup, microstock has devastated textbook markets. Textbooks cost a fortune these days. Most schools here have stopped buying them whenever possible, preferring cheaper workbooks (with few or no photos), which they usually get students to purchase themselves. This is a real bummer for us. Remember when $150-$250 textbook sales were common on Alamy?

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

MAYBE????

Looks like Oxford has a SS subscription and is getting a good deal.  Not such a good deal for photographers, I agree.

On 21/11/2020 at 14:17, John Mitchell said:

We all have to pull together or we'll get pulled apart. I was listening to Carl Bernstein (of Watergate fame) speak today. He has been trying to warn Americans for the past five years about what is happening to their democracy. It seems that many have listened to sane voices like his, so perhaps there is still some hope. That said, I fear that DT has managed to change the US forever. A dangerous road lies ahead.

yes we all have to pull together, and this doesn't only apply to our neighbour country.  The ways they have set have a risk to affect many more countries, as he has now developed a road map for others to derive from.  The world's democracies in these challenging times will be greatly challenged I fear

note: this is not a comment on the side of the politics but on the delivery message.  in Canada we now how multiple sides using the no content, no solution, conspiracy methodology of politics

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Well, not so good this month, well below average so far. The pandemic is definitely having an effect, especially on "travel" images. I'd love to see more sales in Canada, but I guess it's a small market in the scheme of things, especially compared to our populous southern neighbour.

we also seem to have well established models for current event images distribution which means little incentive for Alamy to developed that side.  

have you ever had a Canadian distributor sale? 

4 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

we also seem to have well established models for current event images distribution which means little incentive for Alamy to developed that side.  

have you ever had a Canadian distributor sale? 

Yes, I've had Canadian distributor sales. There seems to be one one major Canadian distributor, which I guess I'm not supposed to name.

• Thanks 1