Winter photography clothing

meanderingemu

Question

One item I wouldn't go without when out in serious cold is a fleece snood. Great warmth around the neck, and the option of rolling it up over mouth and nose to almost meet my fleece hat and keeps the head nice and snuggly.

• Love 1

13 minutes ago, Brian Yarvin said:

May I suggest that you visit a hunter's supply shop. They usually have a good assortment of insulated gloves and excellent layering garments too.

great idea, as they would have to handle gear also.  I have layers as a hiker, so that side should fine.  But today with my mittens i continuously had to take them off.  Fine in -2 (wind factor) but it might not be that good when it drops further. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

I spent two different visiting months in winter in Montreal. Unbelievable cold. Layers, wool, long johns, all the obvious. Some snappers use those fingerless gloves. Forget those for Canada. 

i used to have fingerless gloves with a flip over ending, may be an option.  still cold .  i wonder it i should get one of these bigger shutter buttons and see if i can handle with gloves.

2 hours ago, Avpics said:

One item I wouldn't go without when out in serious cold is a fleece snood. Great warmth around the neck, and the option of rolling it up over mouth and nose to almost meet my fleece hat and keeps the head nice and snuggly.

And if you take a black one it doubles as a hood when you take pictures through windows. Or to look at your screen in bright sunlight. I think mine was 1,59 from ebay and it lives in my bag cushioning my Sony.

Search for fleece neck warmer.

wim

• Love 1

Take something very warm in a pack and pack a a thermos of something hot if you're traveling by skis, snowmobile, or snowshoes.  Don't ski alone but cross country skiing is an amazing way to get around in the winter.   If you drive, keep a winter weight sleeping bag in the car along with flares.   If you've lived in cold parts, you know to stay with the car if anything goes wrong.

I've seen fingerless gloves with a mitten cap that swings out of the way when you want to work.  Silk liner gloves under mittens are another option.  Hand warmers are also useful if your fingers get really cold and you're at risk of frostbite.

I rode a bicycle to work in subzero weather in Albany New York and put my bike chain padlock in my mouth.  Not recommended.  I reacted fast enough not to lose skin.

Edited by MizBrown
clarifying.

17 hours ago, Avpics said:

And also counts as a protective face covering in these covid times

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alex Ramsay said:

And also counts as a protective face covering in these covid times

i was thinking about that, but not sure if it would be effective.  would have to check how porous the fabric is.  

i must say i have been using my mask as face protection from wind a few times already...

I just bought some battery operated heated gloves. I'm in southern Ohio USA - not Canada. But with very cold fingers and toes (Raynaud's Syndrome?) I'll give them a try this winter. They were found by a motorcycle riding buddy that takes trips in the cold. So check motorcycle accessories as well as hunting, hiking, skiing, fishing, and outdoors suppliers. Possible search terms: electric, battery, rechargeable, heated, gloves.

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, StanRohrer said:

I just bought some battery operated heated gloves. I'm in southern Ohio USA - not Canada. But with very cold fingers and toes (Raynaud's Syndrome?) I'll give them a try this winter. They were found by a motorcycle riding buddy that takes trips in the cold. So check motorcycle accessories as well as hunting, hiking, skiing, fishing, and outdoors suppliers. Possible search terms: electric, battery, rechargeable, heated, gloves.

I believe it is possible to buy a kit which fits on motor bike handle bars to keep riders hands warm. Runs on 6 volts.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

10 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

...and why not use the some of the rest of the camping/exercise mat to make protective dividers for camera bags and cases, works well.

On snow, closed cell foam is your best bet if in contact with snow or anything at over 0 C that has liquid water in it. 

3 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I believe it is possible to buy a kit which fits on motor bike handle bars to keep riders hands warm. Runs on 6 volts.

Allan

I think my motorcycle buddy has a system of gloves and socks that plugs into the bike battery and charging system. This is not so time limited on battery life as are gloves with integrated batteries. But I don't think photogs want to be plugged in and tied to a motorcycle. My buddy also has a story of heated socks that developed a short and overheated, burning his leg to a blister, before he could get off the highway and unplug the cord. On his current bike he has heated hand grips so the heated gloves are not so much a cold requirement. Hmmm.... I don't know of any cameras with a heated hand grip. Sounds like a needed invention.

If you can get a pair of those thinish winter gloves with a fingertip for your phone/touchscreen and wear them under a pair of fingerless gloves I find that works well. My wool fingerless gloves have a mitten top that goes over them and leather on the palms which works great. Got them one August in Iceland for a 4am trek out to a lighthouse. Cozy! 

Thin silk or polypropalene longjohns and a down coat. It was so cold here in NY yesterday that I needed my down coat (And I'm many hours south of the Canadian border). Polyproalene (sp?) is great because it wicks away sweat if yiu exert yourself while you're bundled up. 

I find a wool watchman's type cap keeps me the warmest and yes a good scarf you can wrap around your face for the wind or a snood works well. I like a scarf myself as I can get it over my chest at the top of my coat's zipper and my face when needed. 

When the weather is less than freezing, I find layers work best. A good fleece jacket over a wool sweater (jumper) with a down vest is a good combo. I like jackets I can unzip if I get too warm, though a solid fleece with just a tiny top zip will keep you warmer. Canada's a lot colder than southern NY but we have enough zero degree (F) days. My Sony dies if it dips below freezing , so I use my Olympus in the winter. If it's in the 40's I'm happy and then I take out the Sony.

Remember as the afternoon wears on the temperature can drop rapidly. The sun in winter makes a bigger difference than you might think. 

• Love 1

Men wearing ladies tights. Well jockeys do under their silks to keep warm so it goes for all.

I have not tried them myself but heard that they are effective.

Allan

3 hours ago, PAL Media said:

First layer; Silk glove liners

Second layer: something like these https://www.amazon.co.uk/FRDM-Gear-Midweight-Convertible-Gloves/dp/B07BLV7YDP

thank you.  And you find this efficient around -10, -15C?  (probably will not do much when we get into -25 and below)

54 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Men wearing ladies tights. Well jockeys do under their silks to keep warm so it goes for all.

I have not tried them myself but heard that they are effective.

Allan

i have silk tights first layer, what i found works best for chafing, and fact even fine merino wool is itchy to me .  probably unisex,