Winter photography clothing

meanderingemu

Question

8 hours ago, Jools Elliott said:

Try Vallerret Gloves. They are made by photographers for photographers. You can also buy an overmitt too should it really bite.

Where have mine been tested? Mongolia in March 2019 at -18°c so they've definitely been put through their paces ;)

I was checking them out - which style did you get and did you use the liners and a pair of gloves or just the gloves? They don't seem to have temperature ratings so it's hard to guess which style is best for the weather conditions. The setup I have now is okay but the gloves are a bit bulky especially with my smaller mirrorless cameras so I'm considering trying out gloves made for outdoor winter shooting like the Vallerret ones as winter will be here soon. They have a lot of different styles.  

Edited by Marianne

On 22/11/2020 at 16:57, Jools Elliott said:

Try Vallerret Gloves. They are made by photographers for photographers. You can also buy an overmitt too should it really bite.

Where have mine been tested? Mongolia in March 2019 at -18°c so they've definitely been put through their paces ;)

@Jools Elliottthanks for that tip.  They were on sale, so I got them...  Have now used them down to -7, and so far so good. The stickiness is an amazing feature that i didn't expect, was doing a street walk with small XT20 body and pancake lens, and the camera felt really safe in hand.

We are getting a cold spell midweek, so will be a good test.

For anyone looking at them, i bought XL, when L would have likely been fine for my hand, and it has been great, as it allows me on break in action from shooting birds to retract fingers from the finger part of glove and ball up fist to warm up the fingers that were exposed before quickly.....  i can also add a liner to my now shooting hand for extra warmth