Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

Lola doesn't have heart problems, but does have liver problems and trim, so needs to go on a diet, no more table scraps at random or cleaning up the cat's packet moist food.   She was quite annoyed about not being given the cat's leftovers and was banging her water bowls (two different rooms) around and barking at me.

Luis's camera continues with the shutter hangup; my a7 continues dead.    May send it North when my brother comes.   There's no official Sony camera repair in Nicaragua.  I did get the Yashinon back, but without its friction grip lens cap..  I found pinch grim cap that works well enough.  Luis took my a7 which appears to have a major electrical fault or a dead motherboard, but not a jammed shutter, and knows someone who may be able to make one a7 out of the two of them.   If not, Luis should sell the cameras for parts and the lens to one of the local Sony pro shooters.

Luis has a new puppy for his daughter. 

I have over 80 pictures from the a7 cameras to go over and fix and upload.  

Twenty dollars paid for five days of dog shots and meds.  Need to pay another twenty Monday.  

• Like 1

We've been camping in a small town in the desert, waiting for the Camel Races to start tomorrow.

Most caravans/motorhomes have been here like us for a week in the best sites, close to amenities and the racecourse. While there is tons of space in the field opposite, this campervan arrived and parked about just one metre away from another caravan. They are nose to nose in their chairs. HUGE ROW! He won't budge.

So far, as retaliation, the caravan has turned its grey water hose towards the campervan camp, started its very noisy generator, is playing the radio with windows open. Lastly they played the guitar under the awning. All this happened before Happy Hour which is about to start. I can anticipate the campfire smoking in their direction, the dog made to bark, more insults and God knows what.

Someone send us popcorn please!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not a really bad thing, but our car started to make some ominous clanking sounds on a journey back from Leeds on Thursday. I took it to my favourite local independent garage yesterday and they diagnosed a broken spring and advised against using the car.  They're very busy but nevertheless found a slot to have a replacement fitted Monday afternoon or Tuesday. 

Oh, and did I mention the weather, only 14 degC and rain today and all of tomorrow - and we have family staying. 

One of my grandsons wrecked his motorcycle yesterday & broke 7 ribs. Has some pretty bad road rash, also. He nicked a lung & leaked air, so they kept him in the hospital for about 30 hours all told. Breathing is not fun & won’t be for awhile. It was scary because somebody called his wife & said he was being helicoptered (didn’t use the usual term, Life Flighted) to the hospital. For awhile we didn’t know how bad his injuries were.

The first motorist that came upon him was a nurse who saw him have enough presence of mind to crawl on hands & knees off the highway before he became road kill. She had her nursing equipment with her & began taking his BP & pulse oxygen until emergency help came. Two farmers stopped from different directions, and put their trucks sideways across the road on both sides to stop traffic. When the Highway Patrol got there, he said, “Hey, you guys did my job!”

Adam is a missionary in Mexico. He & his family came home to await the birth of their 4th child. They are staying with his parents, my daughter & her hubby.

He wore a helmet, jacket, boots & riding pants made out of a thick reinforced material. The road still ground through the pants & jacket & some skin. He was on his way from Kansas to Missouri to pick up his pastor who visited a friend & needed a ride back to Wichita.

4 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

One of my grandsons wrecked his motorcycle yesterday & broke 7 ribs. Has some pretty bad road rash, also. He nicked a lung & leaked air, so they kept him in the hospital for about 30 hours all told. Breathing is not fun & won’t be for awhile. It was scary because somebody called his wife & said he was being helicoptered (didn’t use the usual term, Life Flighted) to the hospital. For awhile we didn’t know how bad his injuries were.

The first motorist that came upon him was a nurse who saw him have enough presence of mind to crawl on hands & knees off the highway before he became road kill. She had her nursing equipment with her & began taking his BP & pulse oxygen until emergency help came. Two farmers stopped from different directions, and put their trucks sideways across the road on both sides to stop traffic. When the Highway Patrol got there, he said, “Hey, you guys did my job!”

Adam is a missionary in Mexico. He & his family came home to await the birth of their 4th child. They are staying with his parents, my daughter & her hubby.

He wore a helmet, jacket, boots & riding pants made out of a thick reinforced material. The road still ground through the pants & jacket & some skin. He was on his way from Kansas to Missouri to pick up his pastor who visited a friend & needed a ride back to Wichita.

Hope he recovers quickly. (Life flighted??? American Engish is odd1)

10 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

Hope he recovers quickly. (Life flighted??? American Engish is odd1)

Even odder in Australian English: medevaced or medevacked. As in I have been medevacked.

52 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

Hope he recovers quickly. (Life flighted??? American English is odd)

This being the US, it's not a generic term, it's a trademark (TM)(R)

https://www.lifeflight.org/

That'll be $25,000, please. Or maybe $6m.

https://www.airambulance1.com/how-much-does-an-air-ambulance-cost/

The National Association of Insurance Commissioners reports that the average air ambulance trip ................. between $12,000 and $25,000 per flight. ............. cost can reach up to $6 million ............

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

This being the US, it's not a generic term, it's a trademark (TM)(R)

https://www.lifeflight.org/

That'll be $25,000, please. Or maybe $6m.

https://www.airambulance1.com/how-much-does-an-air-ambulance-cost/

The National Association of Insurance Commissioners reports that the average air ambulance trip ................. between $12,000 and $25,000 per flight. ............. cost can reach up to $6 million ............

Ouch!

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Wow Betty, that is tough news! I hope he is young and healthy enough to make a full recovery.  So great a nurse was there so quickly!  My brother nearly lost his life after being hit by a car while riding his motorcycle....that was enough to keep me off of motorcycles.  My brother did make a full recovery.

Another term for those helicopters is "air ambulance" but medevac is used most often here.

Here is one I shot while working on a hospital story for a magazine, some years ago. (early digital shot)

A66XAH.jpg

Thanks for your concern, people. As it turns out, he could have been taken by ambulance. But the nurse evaluated him, also the EMTs on the helicopter knew he had broken ribs which could have punctured several organs. If that had been the case, he would have needed immediate surgery to survive. 
My biggest worry right now is it is so painful for him to use the spirometer, & we can’t get him to do it much at all. He is an asthmatic. Pneumonia s a very real threat since he won’t do deep breathing.

Oh…he was going 70 mph when he crashed.

Edited by Betty LaRue

5 minutes ago, NYCat said:

What a difficult situation. I hope your encouragement will help.

Paulette

Just trying to speak to us off the top of his voice, quietly, causes intense grabs of pain. How can one do deep breathing? One’s natural body reaction is to protect from that. I don’t know the answer. He knows the danger.
By the way, doctors don’t seem to tape up the ribs like they once did.

27 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Just trying to speak to us off the top of his voice, quietly, causes intense grabs of pain. How can one do deep breathing? One’s natural body reaction is to protect from that. I don’t know the answer. He knows the danger.
By the way, doctors don’t seem to tape up the ribs like they once did.

Just awful Betty.  I am sure the next bunch of days will be tough. 

• Love 1

15 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

The first motorist that came upon him was a nurse who saw him have enough presence of mind to crawl on hands & knees off the highway before he became road kill. She had her nursing equipment with her

The accident was very bad luck but having a nurse show up was good luck indeed. 

• Love 1

16 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Wow Betty, that is tough news! I hope he is young and healthy enough to make a full recovery.  So great a nurse was there so quickly!  My brother nearly lost his life after being hit by a car while riding his motorcycle....that was enough to keep me off of motorcycles.  My brother did make a full recovery.

Another term for those helicopters is "air ambulance" but medevac is used most often here.

Here is one I shot while working on a hospital story for a magazine, some years ago. (early digital shot)

A66XAH.jpg

Did your brother get back on the horse that threw him? I’m hoping Adam gives it up. One has nothing around the body to protect one. Motorcycles have always scared me. I understand the appeal, I guess, but always worry about family who rides them. A lot of automobile drivers just don’t see them.

5 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Did your brother get back on the horse that threw him? I’m hoping Adam gives it up. One has nothing around the body to protect one. Motorcycles have always scared me. I understand the appeal, I guess, but always worry about family who rides them. A lot of automobile drivers just don’t see them.

My step brother had an accident on his motor bike many years ago and was in hospital for a month.

My mother and step farther would not let me have a motor bike after that and I went straight to cars.

Allan

On 24/07/2023 at 04:51, Betty LaRue said:

Lucky I guess that help was at hand. How did it happen?

I briefly owned a motorbike, but fortunately it was very unreliable and I quickly transitioned to a beat up old van !

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

No, he gave up motorcycles. He was engaged at the time and his fiance convinced him to not ride again (he switched to a Pontiac TransAm....late 1970s).  With the money he got in a legal settlement with the car driver, they were able to buy their first home!  Forty some years later, they are now both retired and living in Florida.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bryan said:

Lucky I guess that help was at hand. How did it happen?

I briefly owned a motorbike, but fortunately it was very unreliable and I quickly transitioned to a beat up old van !

Bryan, he doesn’t quite know how it happened. He was going 70mph which is 112.6 km? He thinks the front end became unstable & when he hit a crack in the road he lost control. He doesn’t remember a lot. He said when he came to, he knew he had to get off the road, so he crawled on his hands & knees. That’s what the nurse who came upon him first saw…him crawling. He has a lot of road rash on his right side, but to a lesser amount on his left. Shoulder pretty bad & a large hip/rear abrasion. His pants were ground through with a hole the size of a dessert plate.
Of course, the rib pain drowns out the lesser pain. His helmet didn’t crack but I think his brain sloshed enough that he briefly lost consciousness.

Somebody loaned him a lift chair yesterday which is a blessing. Before, it took two people to get him out of the recliner, & he’s not overweight.

15 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

No, he gave up motorcycles. He was engaged at the time and his fiance convinced him to not ride again (he switched to a Pontiac TransAm....late 1970s).  With the money he got in a legal settlement with the car driver, they were able to buy their first home!  Forty some years later, they are now both retired and living in Florida.

I’m glad for him having the sense to give it up. I hope Adam does.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

My step brother had an accident on his motor bike many years ago and was in hospital for a month.

My mother and step farther would not let me have a motor bike after that and I went straight to cars.

Allan

That makes a point & your parents were wise.
My son bought one on the sneak even though I had told him as long as he lived at home, he couldn’t have one. His dad stayed out of it. I think he probably encouraged our son behind the scenes. When I saw him ride up the driveway, we went nose to nose, toes to toes. He took it back but didn’t speak to me for 2 weeks.

I threw myself on the bed and cried intensely at the terrible row, but as a parent, once you lay down the law, you have to stick to your guns or you lose complete control of your children.
When kids finally get their driver’s licenses, it takes a few years to learn how to drive defensively, always watching for the person running a stop sign or pulling out in front of you. One needs a sturdy car while this learning is going on, with seatbelts & now, air bags.

• Alamy locked this topic