Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

Sometimes I'm happy to rent. Of course, you have to have a good landlord and mine is. Not all the workers are expert but at least somewhat capable and our current super is a gem.

Paulette

• Love 1

On 03/07/2023 at 09:03, gvallee said:

Try again! I remember seeing a documentary in Africa. A 'hidden' trail camera was installed on a post by a drinking pool. It had previously been copiously covered in elephant s**t so it would have the right smell. The footage was hilarious. Here came a herd of elephants. One didn't get fooled, walked straight to the 'hidden' camera and destroyed it by kicking it with his foot. They must have managed to retrieve the footage. There's no fooling them!

Trail Cam worked last night. Is this evidence there were no elephants in the garden?

• Love 1

11 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

Trail Cam worked last night. Is this evidence there were no elephants in the garden?

🤣🤣🤣 What did you get?

8 hours ago, gvallee said:

🤣🤣🤣 What did you get?

🦔's

Enough of them to clean the plate in the feeding station.

Edited by Mr Standfast
Techically a good thing. Sorry Edo.
  • Thanks 1

The second a7 original model has died so far.  And I bought it new. I tried all four batteries in my a6000 and they all worked in it, but only thing in the a7 were flashes of light on the display, and not many of those.   I think the a7 I bought used didn't die as thoroughly as Luis can still use it as a video camera.  My brother may be coming in November so I can hand him the camera and he can see if it's worth repairing back in the US.   Luis priced parts for his a7 and it was beyond him in terms of cost.  I think his is more clearly a shutter failure.   What this is I don't know.   Shutter isn't working; I can't access menus; display is dark.

And the other thing that happened is my dog, now around 12 or 13 years old, is panting more than seems normal.  She's going to the best local ```````vet soon. 

I still have the a6000 so not without a camera, but no backup. 

Went online with Sony US chat and was referred to Sony Latin America for further discussions.  

Have three rather pricey lenses for full frame.  Sigh.   I have taken more photos with the Sony a6000 than with the a7 cameras.  I can use the Sony/Zeiss 55mm with the a6000.   Maybe give the full frame 35mm lens to Luis to go with the a7 that can be coaxed into shooting single photos and which Luis said this past week will still work for videos.   I don't think I'll get another a7*** anytime soon.  I saw that people were reporting shutter failures on later models and that there's a Facebook group for that model's shutter failures and talk of a class action lawsuit.   The Zeiss 18mm -- shrug.   Anyone coming down to Nicaragua who wants to buy a Batis 18mm, let me know. 

My new TV is now installed and I hate it. The guys who did the installation did not inspire confidence and I'm sure could have done better but I'm not surprised that I hate the picture. My old TV had a glorious picture. Kind of like Kodachrome. Well, I will get used to it. A lot of the problem with the installation experience is that nobody is old enough to know the analog TVs and the young guy who sold me the TV didn't know he should also sell me the HDMI cable so I ended up buying an expensive one that happened to be in the truck because I didn't want to have to go back to BestBuy to get one and then install it myself????? I'm sure I should have called the store and insisted on help but I felt like spending money to get it over. Well it is over and not as well set up as my friend's system. I have to use two remotes to turn on both TV and Cable. Finally, one of the guys had used my bathroom and left the seat up! Of course. That was the perfect ending. I will get used to the system and can maybe make it better at some point. Sigh.

Paulette

I think I'd have to lynch myself. I was fooling around with my cable remote to see if I could get it to turn on both the tv and the cable box at the same time and I seem to have lost the cable signal I need on my tv to watch live tv. I've just started the long process of rebooting the box to see if I can go back in time. Who knows????

Paulette

Now I have another appointment on Friday for a tech to help me sort everything. I hope it is somebody good. I don't trust the whole issue of the HDMI cable so tomorrow I will go to BestBuy and get one that I know is the right one for my TV. I had asked that the tech who is coming on Friday bring one but that seemed uncertain. The woman kept telling me to get one from Vizio. I don't think so. This is such a mess and I'm still not sure if I've just caused this by doing something with the cable remote.

Paulette

17 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

The second a7 original model has died so far.  And I bought it new. I tried all four batteries in my a6000 and they all worked in it, but only thing in the a7 were flashes of light on the display, and not many of those.   I think the a7 I bought used didn't die as thoroughly as Luis can still use it as a video camera.  My brother may be coming in November so I can hand him the camera and he can see if it's worth repairing back in the US.   Luis priced parts for his a7 and it was beyond him in terms of cost.  I think his is more clearly a shutter failure.   What this is I don't know.   Shutter isn't working; I can't access menus; display is dark.

And the other thing that happened is my dog, now around 12 or 13 years old, is panting more than seems normal.  She's going to the best local ```````vet soon. 

I still have the a6000 so not without a camera, but no backup. 

Went online with Sony US chat and was referred to Sony Latin America for further discussions.  

Have three rather pricey lenses for full frame.  Sigh.   I have taken more photos with the Sony a6000 than with the a7 cameras.  I can use the Sony/Zeiss 55mm with the a6000.   Maybe give the full frame 35mm lens to Luis to go with the a7 that can be coaxed into shooting single photos and which Luis said this past week will still work for videos.   I don't think I'll get another a7*** anytime soon.  I saw that people were reporting shutter failures on later models and that there's a Facebook group for that model's shutter failures and talk of a class action lawsuit.   The Zeiss 18mm -- shrug.   Anyone coming down to Nicaragua who wants to buy a Batis 18mm, let me know. 

Sorry to hear that. My main camera is still the a6000, and things will probably stay that way as it does everything I need. I'm glad that I kept my NEX-6, which is also a very nice camera, as a backup. It's still as good as new. Funny the a7's aren't as dependable.

Sorry to hear this Paulette.  Technology can be so frustrating but it is all around us and here to stay.  Maybe the tech can show you the different "Picture Modes" the TV offers and you might find a more pleasing color and tone setup.  All modern TVs have that where you can toggle thru various color and tone calibrations.   On the Vizio website they talk about having these options:

Standard mode sets the picture settings to the default settings.
Calibrated mode sets the picture settings to values ideal for watching Display in a brightly-lit room.
Calibrated Dark mode sets the picture settings to values ideal for watching Display in a dark room.
Vivid mode sets the picture settings to values that produce a brighter, more vivid picture.
Game mode reduces throughput delays and optimizes the picture settings for displaying game console output.
Computer mode optimizes the picture settings for displaying computer output.

My two smart TVs are Samsung & the colors are beautiful. I bought the second one for downstairs because I liked the first so well. I would say the colors are similar to the old TV, just a clearer picture. It’s the skin tones that’s most important to me.

I’m lucky I have a son-in-law & off & on grown grandsons who are very tech savvy who bail me out when something goes whacky & I can’t figure it out. Sometimes I’ve had to unplug for a few minutes then plug in & reboot. That's a downside to smart TVs.

Paulette, here’s hoping they get you fixed up to your satisfaction. I do have a Samsung remote but also a universal one, & the latter is all I use unless I want to go deep into some particular settings. Then I use the Samsung remote.

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

Sorry to hear that. My main camera is still the a6000, and things will probably stay that way as it does everything I need. I'm glad that I kept my NEX-6, which is also a very nice camera, as a backup. It's still as good as new. Funny the a7's aren't as dependable.

I just went through all my a7 photos and picked around 80 that I hadn't uploaded to Alamy yet.  Two a7 Sony cameras developing shutter or electrical faults, one bought used, one bought new, going does not inspire confidence in what should be their best cameras.   I'll see if my friend at the hotel still has the a3000, which took nice photos for me.  I'm going to give the FE 35mm to Luis and tell him what he should ask for it if he ever decides to sell it.  I've got a 24mm for the a6000 which is a really good Sony/Zeiss lens.  The Batis 18mm is handy on full frame for small shops, but I'd rather have had a bit narrower, like 20 to 24mm.

The a6000 also is a better street camera and I have a macro lens for it (the 30mm f/3.5).  Shrug.  I'll ask Luis to give me back the Yashinon 50mm f/1.7 since that's a fiercely sharp lens but not auto focus.    I think I've seen a6000s for sale in Radio Shacks. 

Nicaragua is not allowing tourists to bring in professional cameras, or so I've heard (haven't checked so it may be Opposition FUD). 

Edited by Rebecca Ore
opposite intended

1 hour ago, Rebecca Ore said:

I just went through all my a7 photos and picked around 80 that I hadn't uploaded to Alamy yet.  Two a7 Sony cameras developing shutter or electrical faults, one bought used, one bought new, going does not inspire confidence in what should be their best cameras.   I'll see if my friend at the hotel still has the a3000, which took nice photos for me.  I'm going to give the FE 35mm to Luis and tell him what he should ask for it if he ever decides to sell it.  I've got a 24mm for the a6000 which is a really good Sony/Zeiss lens.  The Batis 18mm is handy on full frame for small shops, but I'd rather have had a bit narrower, like 20 to 24mm.

The a6000 also is a better street camera and I have a macro lens for it (the 30mm f/3.5).  Shrug.  I'll ask Luis to give me back the Yashinon 50mm f/1.7 since that's a fiercely sharp lens but not auto focus.    I think I've seen a6000s for sale in Radio Shacks. 

Nicaragua is not allowing tourists to bring in professional cameras, or so I've heard (haven't checked so it may be Opposition FUD). 

The equipment rule is now cancelado by the sounds of it.

11 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

The equipment rule is now cancelado by the sounds of it.

I'd heard it was.  Tourism is being courted at the moment.  I even miss it :)

Luis found a box for the other 35mm crop lens but not for the FE 35mm f/2.8 lens.  I looked up the going new price for it and told him that if he wanted to sell it, he should ask at least $300, or start at $400 and negotiate down.  He's going to bring my Yashinon lens back on a lens cap.   I think I paid $3 US for that, and it's wicked sharp, but totally manual.   The a7 he has probably can be repaired with some Alibaba parts and one of the Managua repair guys.  If the problem with my a7 is electrical shorts of some kind, it may be possible to see if it has any good parts like the shutter assembly.  Since Luis's a7 still takes videos, I kinda doubt it's the motherboard, and it also can be tricked into shooting one single shot before going into its shutter sulk again.  I have to think about this.  If he's on FB, he can ask the Nicaraguan photo group about someone who might do the fix or see if he can find the guy who was buying broken digital point and shoots and adding new sensors.  Instructions for replacing the shutter assembly are on line.

Oh, well.  The Batis 18mm  would be available for $700 (somewhat negotiable).  I've got close enough lenses for the a6000 and it' kinda bulky on that camera.   Can't ship, have to meet up in Nicaragua or I have to send it to the US if/when my brother shows up. 

2 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Sorry to hear this Paulette.  Technology can be so frustrating but it is all around us and here to stay.  Maybe the tech can show you the different "Picture Modes" the TV offers and you might find a more pleasing color and tone setup.  All modern TVs have that where you can toggle thru various color and tone calibrations.   On the Vizio website they talk about having these options:

Standard mode sets the picture settings to the default settings.
Calibrated mode sets the picture settings to values ideal for watching Display in a brightly-lit room.
Calibrated Dark mode sets the picture settings to values ideal for watching Display in a dark room.
Vivid mode sets the picture settings to values that produce a brighter, more vivid picture.
Game mode reduces throughput delays and optimizes the picture settings for displaying game console output.
Computer mode optimizes the picture settings for displaying computer output.

Thank you, Michael. The guy did go through settings and I immediately rejected VIVID. Awful. I'm feeling better tonight though I still can't watch cable TV. I got a nature movie streaming and the colors looked beautiful. There were commercials and the color balance for skin was good. Hooray. So I think probably the broadcast stations will drive me crazy but I will adjust. Everything was very rushed today and now I will learn things bit by bit. I had to turn off the nature film because the animals started killing each other. Somehow I didn't get as upset when I saw it in real life. Funny how that is. Mother Nature is cruel.

Paulette

• Love 1

45 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Thank you, Michael. The guy did go through settings and I immediately rejected VIVID. Awful. I'm feeling better tonight though I still can't watch cable TV. I got a nature movie streaming and the colors looked beautiful. There were commercials and the color balance for skin was good. Hooray. So I think probably the broadcast stations will drive me crazy but I will adjust. Everything was very rushed today and now I will learn things bit by bit. I had to turn off the nature film because the animals started killing each other. Somehow I didn't get as upset when I saw it in real life. Funny how that is. Mother Nature is cruel.

Paulette

Paulette, I felt exactly the same way when I got my first hi-def flat screen TV.  I was so upset, that I called a friend of mine complaining about everything looked over sharpened and just awful, compared to my old Sony CRT TV.  Well, now I am totally used to it and probably would hate seeing programs on my old TV.  Nature shows really do look great on these new TVs

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

Paulette

Glad you're enjoying your new TV. Ours is a bit of an antique now, and I basically need a telescope to read subtitles, etc.

Human beings kill each other as well. At least the animals have a good excuse -- i.e. they really don't have any choice in the matter.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

When we got out first flat screen, I was blown away watching my love, college football. It seemed almost like I was there, it wa so clear. We had just given up our season tickets after 10 years, & in some ways, it was nicer seeing my game on my big screen than live. Instant replay is great!

Although being in the stands had perks, too. Toby Keith, the country singer star, is an avid Oklahoma University fan & it was fun watching him roam the sidelines. Lots of other stuff goes on that a broadcast doesn’t show, too.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiG17jQrfv_AhU0mWoFHe9SDZQQyCl6BAgqEAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D3umaLe37-LE&usg=AOvVaw2mVZeUz11tdBzEC7IQ9Ygc&opi=89978449

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NYCat said:

Love Toby Keith.

Paulette

He’s been fighting stomach cancer for a year or two. He’s just now having a few local shows to see if he has enough strength to go on tour. We know how he feels, don’t we? I think his is worse than ours was, though.

• Alamy locked this topic