Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

Saturday night here in Australia. We had the most wonderful evening in the Bush around a campfire.

Setting: a remote campsite located on a private property, 50 hectares of glorious bushland. Rough tracks have been built criss-crossing steep hills leading to two dams. We're camped at the bottom of the hills in isolated splendour, by the smaller dam covered in water lilies. Our days are spent watching kingfishers dive, cormorants catching red claws.

Tonight, there were enough campers in the upper section to have a shindig. And what a sight! 100 year old fence posts had been cut to produce a cracking campfire with a background of fiery sunset. Travel stories are exchanged, wine flows, stars appear.

Time to walk back to our bus in the dark on the track that warns 'tighten bra straps and remove dentures'. We choose not to turn our torches/flashlights on but to walk guided by the stars. Loud crickets fill the night along with a woken kookaburra protesting loudy. Pure magic.

• Love 2
  • Like 4

Got both my new Mac Mini Pro 2 and my new EIZO  ColorEdge CS2731 monitor. Will probably spend the rest of today setting them up.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 3
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Got both my new Mac Mini Pro 2 and my new EIZO  ColorEdge CS2731 monitor. Will probably spend the rest of today setting them up.

Allan

A nice setup Allan, should be a pleasure to use. How did you spec the Mac mini Pro 2?

21 hours ago, sb photos said:

A nice setup Allan, should be a pleasure to use. How did you spec the Mac mini Pro 2?

Hi Steve, I have the best I think at 10C CPU/16C GPU/ 32GB RAM/ 512GB SSD Memory storage.  I believe you can get 1 TB memory storage but for me that would be overkill as most of my folders and files are held on separate desktop drives.

I am still on my old iMac as I answer your post but so far on the mini I have only used about 60GB of memory storage and as my iMac is using about 115GB out of 512GB SSD memory storage thats's not bad.

Incidentally my old iMac also has 32GB memory which I installed myself.  Ahhh! The good old days.

The reason I got a new combo was Apple does not supply new OS updates for the late 2013 iMac. (Running on Catalina and cannot go to the next update.

Because of that I cannot update LrC. My fav image processor.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

Took photos of MCFC fans getting drunk, Parklife fans hoping to get to the music festival, pro Imran Khan protest in central Manchester, and Romanian Rugul Aprins Oldham Church members singing in central Manchester. Sunshine here brings everybody out. And Man City won tonight.  

There are activities I enjoy more than making pictures....

Just finished building another old TREK bicycle and had a nice ride.

I've been riding the same TREK 770 pro for longer than I've been on Alamy

and I just finished building a 2300 pro, all Dura-Ace 74xx with Mavic COSMIC wheels.

Guess I should make some pictures of it?

Chuck

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

There are activities I enjoy more than making pictures....

Just finished building another old TREK bicycle and had a nice ride.

I've been riding the same TREK 770 pro for longer than I've been on Alamy

and I just finished building a 2300 pro, all Dura-Ace 74xx with Mavic COSMIC wheels.

Guess I should make some pictures of it?

Chuck

Go for it Chuck.

Allan

I’ve continued cleaning out boxes of stuff in my basement. Besides the earrings I found, I’ve come across a few other gems. My trash man doesn’t enjoy picking up all the empty boxes, though.

And I just saved myself at least $40.00 by cutting my own hair. Plus being very happy with my hairdresser & the cut that’s just right.  The best thing is if I want to, I can verbally abuse her & she doesn’t fight back.

I’ve cut my own hair 95% of the time since I was 16.

Have I made goofs? Yep, in the first 8-10 years maybe 3 times. See ⬆️ Verbal abuse.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 1

Am relaxing spending a week with my wife around the bottom end of Cornwall based at St Just. Weather very good, though not the best for photography. Only brought a D500 body and 3 lenses, left the heavier gear behind. Just back from an early morning walk through Cot Valley to Porth Nanven. My wife tells me I shouldn't be photographing, just relaxing and site seeing as we haven't been in this area for over 7 years. Spending today on the Lizard. Tomorrow I might sneak away to photograph the forecast heavy rain, thunder and lightning early afternoon.

• Love 1
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, sb photos said:

Am relaxing spending a week with my wife around the bottom end of Cornwall based at St Just. Weather very good, though not the best for photography. Only brought a D500 body and 3 lenses, left the heavier gear behind. Just back from an early morning walk through Cot Valley to Porth Nanven. My wife tells me I shouldn't be photographing, just relaxing and site seeing as we haven't been in this area for over 7 years. Spending today on the Lizard. Tomorrow I might sneak away to photograph the forecast heavy rain, thunder and lightning early afternoon.

I look forward to seeing your atmospheric pictures. Just be careful with lightning, no tripod or you'll need a Faraday cage! 

Exciting! We are in the process of installing Starlink in our motorhome. Bearing in mind that plans can change at the drop of a hat due to unforseen circumstances, we are planning to stay in the desert for several weeks. Starlink would give us unlimited Internet access. Just point the dish to the south.  We would also be able to get rid of our expensive heavy satellite phone (1$ a minute). 

At the moment, my head is swimming with 12V, invertor, router, cigarette plug, connecting it to cranking battery, hole in the side of the bus, etc etc. I'm comfortable understanding our solar set up (400amp, 1,000W, inverting, shore power, input/output, etc) but Starlink is a new connection to me. Every tecchie we speak to has different suggestions. All valid I'm sure, except also having UPS between the dish and the router which is over-kill. Can't wait to use it in the sand dunes.

Edited by gvallee
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, gvallee said:

Exciting! We are in the process of installing Starlink in our motorhome. Bearing in mind that plans can change at the drop of a hat due to unforseen circumstances, we are planning to stay in the desert for several weeks. Starlink would give us unlimited Internet access. Just point the dish to the south.  We would also be able to get rid of our expensive heavy satellite phone (1$ a minute). 

At the moment, my head is swimming with 12V, invertor, router, cigarette plug, connecting it to cranking battery, hole in the side of the bus, etc etc. I'm comfortable understanding our solar set up (400amp, 1,000W, inverting, shore power, input/output, etc) but Starlink is a new connection to me. Every tecchie we speak to has different suggestions. All valid I'm sure, except also having UPS between the dish and the router which is over-kill. Can't wait to use it in the sand dunes.

Careful that sand get into everything.😉

Allan

6 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Careful that sand get into everything.😉

Allan

Good point. And red dust. Takes weeks to get rid of it.

11 hours ago, sb photos said:

Am relaxing spending a week with my wife around the bottom end of Cornwall based at St Just. Weather very good, though not the best for photography. Only brought a D500 body and 3 lenses, left the heavier gear behind. Just back from an early morning walk through Cot Valley to Porth Nanven. My wife tells me I shouldn't be photographing, just relaxing and site seeing as we haven't been in this area for over 7 years. Spending today on the Lizard. Tomorrow I might sneak away to photograph the forecast heavy rain, thunder and lightning early afternoon.we

We're in Cornwall as well. Glorious weather. Always something to point a Fujifilm at. Have a good one!

Found out yesterday my Electricity bills are going down.

Found out today my Gas bill are going down.

HURRAY!

Allan

• Love 2
  • Like 1

We just had 5 fabulous days of unmitigated fun in the Outback where we attended the famous Brunette Downs ABC Bush Races in the Northern Territory. The event was established in 1910. I’ve never seen so many happy laughing people having the time of their life. Lots and lots of young jackaroos and jillaroos full of life and stamina, with amazing riding skills.

What we really liked is that this event is primarily for cattle stations entertainment, not for visitors. The real thing. The real Australia. The visitors’ vehicles were vastly outnumbered by cattle trucks, pickups and horses. The camp was a heave of activity from before sun up to sundown. Riders jog past, cattle trains arrive with the campdraft cattle. Dust and woodsmoke mingle in the air as a fiery sunset enthrals groups of cheery drinkers.

The beauty continues as dawn breaks in a blaze of red and orange for the 6.30am campdraft. The sun rises in splendour on fabulous, backlit spurts of dust from hatted jack- and jillaroos cutting out and chasing frisky heifers with twitchy tails held high. This is the way the Territory rolls! Photos to follow some time...

• Love 5
  • Like 1

good news...
just booked October 22-night Spain itinerary!
MIA-MAD (2-nights to "recover" & shoot -- been there)
Cordoba, Malaga, Seville, Granada, ~4-nights each, all first time;
Madrid final 2 nights, MAD-MIA (Iberia rt prem econ using Avios points)
if anyone has South-of-Spain other city suggestion worth
2-3 nights, details please !!
💃🏽__ 💃🏽__ 💃🏽
  • Love 1

I bought my TV. It is a Vizio. The Samsungs I saw at Bestbuy seemed to not have accurate color… One of them had a strong color cast that would have driven me crazy. The Vizio looked good. Thank you, Michael, for telling me you were satisfied with yours. Trying to check the color is so annoying because they keep showing bright lollipops to impress but I wanted to see skin tones. Anyway, I think it is good. I have delivery scheduled for Thursday but I may need to change that. They didn’t have the stand I want so I’ve had to order it from Amazon. When I ordered it they said it would come on Weds. but now saying Friday. I’ll wait and see what they say when they ship it. I have found some things come super fast if you are only ordering one thing. We shall see.

Paulette

• Love 1

20 hours ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
good news...
💃🏽__ 💃🏽__ 💃🏽

Do drive west and spend a night or two in Marbella, Jeff. It used to be the hippest place on the coast.

21 hours ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
good news...
💃🏽__ 💃🏽__ 💃🏽

Jeff, 

we’re in Estepona at the moment, it’s about an hour west of Malaga. It’s lovely and well worth a couple of nights stop over. We’ve been to Gibraltar, for a day, whilst we are here. I enjoyed that as well. We parked on the Spanish side and walked over the border. Cadiz is meant to be nice but it’s too far for a day trip from where we’re staying as we’re getting around by bus. I’ll be coming back with plenty of stock images. I’ve found anyone I’ve asked for an image very friendly and cooperative. The fishermen mending their nets, in the image below, let my wife have a go at mending the net. I think they might lose a few fish as a result! The fisherman asked for an Instagram link so they could get copies of the images. I had a few old business cards I could give them which went down well.

That’s the great thing about photography, we wander into areas and get to do things we never would if I wasn’t there to try and get a pic 🙂

Estepona

53003158661_ec4cc7b845_b.jpg

53003158721_26f6211254_b.jpg

53002641767_a3ddd788fd_b.jpg

53003714178_8603671a96_b.jpg

53003611900_bb9f199a43_b.jpg

53003236726_7b50189f54_b.jpg

Edited by Steve Hyde
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Steve Hyde said:

we’re in Estepona...well worth a couple of nights stop over.

SteveH

Thanks for tip.  You're a chum of a mate, you are !!

😄HE'S A GREAT BLOKE  😄HE IS THAT, HE IS  😄HE DID YOU A SOLID

Will pass tip on to the Itinerary Planner -- the wifey...

Your bakery image should license well, IMO.

Forgot to mention, our ground transportation limited to trains, uber, taxi, bus.
Ta!  regards jg

Edited by Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg

3 minutes ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:

SteveH

Thanks for tip.  You're a chum of a mate, you are !!

😄HE'S A GREAT BLOKE  😄HE IS THAT, HE IS  😄HE DID YOU A SOLID

Will pass tip on to the Itinerary Planner -- the wifey...

Your bakery image should license well, IMO.

Forgot to mention, our ground transportation limited to trains, uber, taxi, bus.
Ta!  regards jg

The girl in the bakery was lovely. She offered me a cake as a thank you for taking her picture! She’s already emailed me asking for copies so I’m going to see if she’s happy signing a model release.

I’ve been using an app called Moovit for the buses. It’s worked really well. It’s free with ads, free for 7 days or a small monthly fee to get rid of the ads. It picks up on the local bus timetable, directs you to the bus stop with the bus number. Once you’re on the bus the app tracks the journey, showing all the stops along the way so you know when to get off. It will also show any bus changes needed etc. 

You’ll love it here. We plan to come back and do exactly the same as you, visit the same places spending a few days in each 

18 minutes ago, Steve Hyde said:

The girl in the bakery was lovely. She offered me a cake as a thank you for taking her picture! She’s already emailed me asking for copies so I’m going to see if she’s happy signing a model release.

I’ve been using an app called Moovit for the buses. It’s worked really well. It’s free with ads, free for 7 days or a small monthly fee to get rid of the ads. It picks up on the local bus timetable, directs you to the bus stop with the bus number. Once you’re on the bus the app tracks the journey, showing all the stops along the way so you know when to get off. It will also show any bus changes needed etc. 

You’ll love it here. We plan to come back and do exactly the same as you, visit the same places spending a few days in each 

Have you tried Google Maps, putting destination and setting directions? It does the same trick - gives you routes, transport available, and timetables. I'm currently in an unfamiliar big city and the app is just of great help!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ognyan Yosifov said:

Have you tried Google Maps, putting destination and setting directions? It does the same trick - gives you routes, transport available, and timetables. I'm currently in an unfamiliar big city and the app is just of great help!

No I haven’t tried Google maps but I will. Thanks for the info 👍

• Like 1

• Alamy locked this topic