Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

1 hour ago, StokeCreative said:

I handed my notice in yesterday (to retire)! Honest its good news! (I've worked at the same University since 1997).

Now more time to concentrate on not making money with Alamy.....🤣

2K04FPN.jpg

Wow that is a good stretch. Are you getting a clock?😄

Enjoy a long and happy retirement.

The longest I work at one place was 9 years. I was Project Engineer for a blue chip dairy and food company. Before that was 7 years during my apprenticeship and time served fitter at a marine engineering works building super large diesel engines for sea/ocean going ships.

Between those two I had five other jobs working about two years at each. Always moving for promotion. 

Had 9 years self employed and retired in 2002.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Like 3

Found a cheaper veggie guy  with cheaper broccoli, cheaper potatoes, and a couple of other things.  Yesterday, got a new bulb for my fish tank light and a round flattish disk LED light of over 1200 lumens that has made my sala (living room, saloon, etc) quite a bit brighter.  It screwed in.   Fish tank light is also LED with a plastic diffuser that is cool enough to unscrew without pain (switch corroded and the lamp is now straight wired in).   I have four surviving small juveniles who are big enough that the adults in the tank don't eat them and small enough that the juveniles aren't competition.  

Vegetables have been going up in price, so I was happy to find this guy.

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Wow that is a good stretch. Are you getting a clock?😄

Enjoy a long and happy retirement.

The longest I work at one place was 9 years. I was Project Engineer for a blue chip dairy and food company. Before that was 7 years during my apprenticeship and time served fitter at a marine engineering works building super large diesel engines for sea/ocean going ships.

Between those two I had five other jobs working about two years at each. Always moving for promotion. 

Had 9 years self employed and retired in 2002.

Allan

No clock lol, and the Uni scrapped 25 year service awards, but I did get one at 20 years! 

• Like 1

My longest employment was for four years as photo studio manager for a commercial photographer (in my early 20s) and then on my own since 1986.  I hope I can present myself with some sort of nice award when I retire.  I have been a dedicated employee and don't call out sick very often 😅

• Love 2
  • Like 3

All the many fans & dehumidifiers are gone as of mid-morning. The silence is deafening. I can hear the television again.

My plumber dropped by quickly and found what the damage to the toilet is…a cracked tank in the back where I couldn’t see it but he felt it. So I’ll need to buy a new one.

It’s good I have 3 bathrooms, so I still have two working toilets.

A wonderful discovery for me today. Wichita has a county park that covers a lot of acres. I have been there many times, & thought I knew the park.

My son goes there to walk, jog or bike. This morning he showed me a new place to enter I had no idea was there. It leads to a nature trail that is phenomenal. There are so many plants & trees, all identified with plaques. I only had my big birding lens on my camera but still got a few shots. I’ll go back with a wide angle lens to do the photo opportunities justice. I’m thrilled to find it, albeit through my son.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

On 30/06/2023 at 13:55, Michael Ventura said:

in the USA, we have the Churchill Downs, probably the best known horse racetrack in this country.  Now I am curious about the origin of the term, “downs”.

In the UK downs derives from the old English word dun, meaning hill.

34 minutes ago, Dave Richards said:

In the UK downs derives from the old English word dun, meaning hill.

I did some reading since I posted my curiosity and what I read was, in the earliest days of horse racing, in England, people would gather at what was called the downs, a large open and elevated grassy field.  I also read that it came from dun (or now dune).

4 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

people would gather at what was called the downs

They still do Michael, see Epsom Downs for example, a bit more there than a grassy field these days though, it can also be called downland. Lambourn is a big horse training centre, and is situated in the Lambourn Downs, part of the North Wessex Downs. The South Downs are particularly beautiful.

1 hour ago, Harry Harrison said:

They still do Michael, see Epsom Downs for example, a bit more there than a grassy field these days though, it can also be called downland. Lambourn is a big horse training centre, and is situated in the Lambourn Downs, part of the North Wessex Downs. The South Downs are particularly beautiful.

Yes, but is it now only used in reference to a horse racetrack or is it still used a geographical locale, such as a veld, savanna/savannah, prairie, pasture?

13 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Yes, but is it now only used in reference to a horse racetrack or is it still used a geographical locale, such as a veld, savanna/savannah, prairie, pasture?

Seems like I remember in some novels based in England that I’ve read based in the past, someone referenced going for a walk on the downs. I had to blow away some cobwebs, so unsure if what I remember is so.

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Seems like I remember in some novels based in England that I’ve read based in the past, someone referenced going for a walk on the downs. I had to blow away some cobwebs, so unsure if what I remember is so.

Downs in the UK were relatively low hills, mostly chalk formation.  Some of the off UK uses are simply borrowing what sounds cool.

8 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Yes, absolutely a geographic feature, nothing to do with horse racing at all but suitable for horses, a low range of mainly chalk land hills as has been said. It seems that the founder of your Churchill Downs racecourse and the Kentucky Derby was inspired by a visit to the Epsom Derby held on Epsom Downs so perhaps he was inspired to name his new course after it as well. 

The nearest 'downs' to me are the Berkshire Downs, now part of the afore-mentioned North Wessex Downs, the extensive South Downs aren't that far away either as they start at Winchester but extend right down to Eastbourne. They don't seem that low when you try and walk up them.

Edited by Harry Harrison

Had a very nice surprise call from an early photography mentor of mine, Eric Meola.  For those who are not familiar with his work, he was one of the great American commercial photographers of the 70s, 80s and 90s.  When I was 18, I desperately wanted to work for him and I traveled to NY, in the late 70s to interview for a job in his studio.  I didn't get the job but he was so kind to me and encouraging.  He had kept my contact info and soon he had a string shoots in Washington DC, during the early 1980s, and he would  hire me whenever he came into town. We became good friends but have not seen or talked to him all that much since the late 1980s.  I know our Edo knew him back when, I think he even interviewed him for book.  Anyway, it made my day to see his name come up on my caller i.d., so great to catch up.  He is living with his wife out past The Hamptons on Long Island and still enjoys shooting pics for fun and swims a mile a day in his heated pool.....heated so he can swim and many months as he can.  He mentioned that he his working on a retrospective book on his photography career, l am looking forward to seeing that!

He has beautiful website.  Take a look to see why I wanted to work for him.  

https://www.ericmeola.com/

Edited by Michael Ventura
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Had a very nice surprise call from an early photography mentor of mine, Eric Meola.  For those who are not familiar with his work, he was one of the great American commercial photographers of the 70s, 80s and 90s.  When I was 18, I desperately wanted to work for him and I traveled to NY, in the late 70s to interview for a job in his studio.  I didn't get the job but he was so kind to me and encouraging.  He had kept my contact info and soon he had a string shoots in Washington DC, during the early 1980s, and he would  hire me whenever he came into town. We became good friends but have not seen or talked to him all that much since the late 1980s.  I know our Edo knew him back when, I think he even interviewed him for book.  Anyway, it made my day to see his name come up on my caller i.d., so great to catch up.  He is living with his wife out past The Hamptons on Long Island and still enjoys shooting pics for fun and swims a mile a day in his heated pool.....heated so he can swim and many months as he can.  He mentioned that he his working on a retrospective book on his photography career, l am looking forward to seeing that!

Yes, a great photographer. He broke so many rules that I would imagine his work was recognizable for just that, and actually makes him stand out. I really like that boldness. He cut off faces, heads & allowed the subjects to leave the forward edge of the frame often times. Absolutely fascinating. And the bulk of his work had to be done with film. Did he ever go digital? He has outstanding work shooting people. Love his old buildings on the plains which is something I gravitate to when I can find them. I have one hung over my couch right now. Of course I did a little photoshop magic to it with a texture & another process.

An Oklahoma structure.

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/once-upon-a-time-betty-larue.html

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Thank you for posting this Michael. I’ve just had a quick look at Eric’s website. Great images, as you said. I’ve only looked in two of his folders and already seen a few pics and thought, ‘ooo I’ll try that’. I’ll be out looking for Rusted Car Doors (abstract folder) and some reflective buildings.

I’ve put the link to the website into my favourites. I have some downtime coming up as I’m having full knee replacement surgery next week. I’ll be glad to have something to look through. I’ll certainly look to buy his book once it’s published 🙂

Edited by Steve Hyde
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Did he ever go digital?

Yes, I am thinking around the early 2000's but I think by then he had stopped taking on commercial work and just shooting personal projects.  I have his book on India that was all shot on a early Canon DSLR and his most recent book "Fierce Beauty" was all digital....a stunning coffee table book on the wild storms of the American Plains.  We talked about the state of the stock industry now and he sadly laughed about how, back in the "glory days" of stock, he was making $10,000 to $15,000 a month from Getty, now he is lucky to see $300 a month.

Love your art prints of rural farm life Betty, very nicely done!

2 hours ago, Steve Hyde said:

I have some downtime coming up as I’m having full knee replacement surgery next week.

Oh wow Steve, I hope all goes well and you have a speedy recovery.  Nowadays, they have you up and walking around pretty quickly.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve Hyde said:

Thank you for posting this Michael. I’ve just had a quick look at Eric’s website. Great images, as you said. I’ve only looked in two of his folders and already seen a few pics and thought, ‘ooo I’ll try that’. I’ll be out looking for Rusted Car Doors (abstract folder) and some reflective buildings.

I’ve put the link to the website into my favourites. I have some downtime coming up as I’m having full knee replacement surgery next week. I’ll be glad to have something to look through. I’ll certainly look to buy his book once it’s published 🙂

Good luck with your op Steve. Write to us a lot!

• Love 1

I think I just heard a mockingbird in our city garden. Even if it wasn't one it is so nice to remember them. A medley of bird songs.

Paulette

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

Oh wow Steve, I hope all goes well and you have a speedy recovery.  Nowadays, they have you up and walking around pretty quickly.

Thanks Michael. Without sounding glib, I’m not as nervous about the surgery as I would have been as I’ve had both my hips replaced in the last two years. My joints have become very arthritic as I’ve got older. I’ve always been sporty and played non league soccer all my adult life which I think may well have caused the problems I’m having now (that’s my theory anyway). I made a good recovery from those ops so the surgeon is hopeful my recovery from the knee op should be the same, all be it a bit more painful. I hope so cause the other knee needs replacing as well. They had me walking on the hips the day after the operations and I was back cycling on Zwift (gingerly) within a month or two of the surgery. I’ll be sending the airport scanners crazy, I always get a pat down 😛 

Thanks Gen, I’ll be using my down time for some sort of photography I can do from home. 🙂

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

Good luck with your op Steve. Write to us a lot!

The second day I have awoken to rain. Yesterday I had 2.3” in my rain gauge. Very needed to an area in critical drought. Although my yard man wasn’t able to mow. This rain today is light & soon will stop, so I hope by late afternoon he can tackle the jungle.

Best wishes for your surgery, Steve. Once you heal, you’ll no longer have to compete in the “one-legged man in a butt kicking contest.”

You’ll have two good ‘uns again and everyone will have to watch out for Steve!

• Love 1

9 hours ago, Steve Hyde said:

Hope all goes well with the knee surgery. I've previously had a left hip replacement, that went very well, but now I'm dithering over when to go on the waiting list for knee replacements as I don't want to interrupt my various lines of work for another 2 years. Twice I've had a knee buckle under me, each time when attempting to stand up from a kneeling position photographing, and similar when attempting to run across a busy road. I don't attempt that any more, it was painful. I put up with day to day discomfort and take a break after driving after 2 hours.  After an x-ray back in 2014 or 15 I was advised my knees would need doing in the future. How long was your wait if you were on an NHS waiting list?

• Love 1

1 hour ago, sb photos said:

Hope all goes well with the knee surgery. I've previously had a left hip replacement, that went very well, but now I'm dithering over when to go on the waiting list for knee replacements as I don't want to interrupt my various lines of work for another 2 years. Twice I've had a knee buckle under me, each time when attempting to stand up from a kneeling position photographing, and similar when attempting to run across a busy road. I don't attempt that any more, it was painful. I put up with day to day discomfort and take a break after driving after 2 hours.  After an x-ray back in 2014 or 15 I was advised my knees would need doing in the future. How long was your wait if you were on an NHS waiting list?

It’s a bit of a story. Both hips followed the same symptoms, a year apart. In Jan 2020 I had what I thought was a groin strain. 5 months on It hadn’t  cleared up and by then I was struggling to lift that leg over gates etc or even put my own socks on. I spoke to my doctor in June and she suspected arthritis in my hip. She arranged x rays which were done in a week and I then went into a 3 month NHS bottleneck for a phone call from a musculoskeletal clinic to see if they could help or if I needed a referral to see a consultant. 

At that point I decided to take matters into my own hands so in August I paid to see a consultant at the private Spire hospital in Bristol. He told me that hip was severely arthritic and needed replacing. The consultant I saw also worked for the NHS in my health authority. He gave me two options. He would operate on me privately at the Spire in October that year or refer me to his list at Southmead Hospital, Bristol but I should expect at least a two year wait. As I had a severe limp by then and walking was becoming more difficult I paid for the op. 

Ditto for the other hip in Jan 2021, with the added complication of covid on waiting times. My right knee was also causing me problems by then so I paid to see the same consultant in Aug that year. The advice was the same for the hip and he told me my right knee was also beyond repair and needed replacing. This time the options were which to do first and again privately or on the NHS. As the hip was impacting my life more than the knee I paid for that to be replaced, again in October that year, and went on the consultants NHS waiting list at Southmead for the knee. 

So almost two years on I finally have my knee op next week. That wait has been ok for me as although the knee can be painful it doesn’t stop me doing anything I would normally do. In some ways I’m in the same position as you. I could live with the knee until it really does cause me issues. But I’m 63yrs now with an expected life of the new joint being 15yrs. I don’t want to pay another £13,000 for the op and I don’t want a two year wait once it does become a real problem. On top of that my left knee needs replacing and I’ll be on a two year wait for that one after this op.

Sorry it’s a long winded reply but my referral wasn’t straight forward. The private consultation was £225 and if I’d needed x rays that would have been another £150. For me that was money well spent, if just to get on the consultants NHS waiting list about six months quicker than I would have done. 

Edited by Steve Hyde
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Steve Hyde said:

It’s a bit of a story. Both hips followed the same symptoms, a year apart. In Jan 2020 I had what I thought was a groin strain. 5 months on It hadn’t  cleared up and by then I was struggling to lift that leg over gates etc or even put my own socks on. I spoke to my doctor in June and she suspected arthritis in my hip. She arranged x rays which were done in a week and I then went into a 3 month NHS bottleneck for a phone call from a musculoskeletal clinic to see if they could help or if I needed a referral to see a consultant. 

At that point I decided to take matters into my own hands so in August I paid to see a consultant at the private Spire hospital in Bristol. He told me that hip was severely arthritic and needed replacing. The consultant I saw also worked for the NHS in my health authority. He gave me two options. He would operate on me privately at the Spire in October that year or refer me to his list at Southmead Hospital, Bristol but I should expect at least a two year wait. As I had a severe limp by then and walking was becoming more difficult I paid for the op. 

Ditto for the other hip in Jan 2021, with the added complication of covid on waiting times. My right knee was also causing me problems by then so I paid to see the same consultant in Aug that year. The advice was the same for the hip and he told me my right knee was also beyond repair and needed replacing. This time the options were which to do first and again privately or on the NHS. As the hip was impacting my life more than the knee I paid for that to be replaced, again in October that year, and went on the consultants NHS waiting list at Southmead for the knee. 

So almost two years on I finally have my knee op next week. That wait has been ok for me as although the knee can be painful it doesn’t stop me doing anything I would normally do. In some ways I’m in the same position as you. I could live with the knee until it really does cause me issues. But I’m 63yrs now with an expected life of the new joint being 15yrs. I don’t want to pay another £13,000 for the op and I don’t want a two year wait once it does become a real problem. On top of that my left knee needs replacing and I’ll be on a two year wait for that one after this op.

Sorry it’s a long winded reply but my referral wasn’t straight forward. The private consultation was £225 and if I’d needed x rays that would have been another £150. For me that was money well spent, if just to get on the consultants NHS waiting list about six months quicker than I would have done. 

Very interesting and helpful, thanks. My wife has a knee issue as well and saw a physiotherapist. The physiotherapist could not make any improvement and an NHS x-ray was undertaken. Later she then recommended a trip into London for a private MRI scan to speed things up as it would be more detailed. The MRI result showed the knee was arthritic. She's holding out towards retirement in 2-3years. Although now 72 and receiving 2 pensions, I will do the same, as along with photography I work fairly flexibly contracting, which I would like to do for as long as possible. Hopefully my knees will last a few more years. Now back to editing my backlog.

• Love 1

• Alamy locked this topic