Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

25 minutes ago, Cecile Marion said:

I’m guessing you could add white chocolate, which is usually made with cocoa butter, mixed with sugar, and occasionally vanilla. It might taste overly sweet though. 

Thank you Cecile. Will check out cocoa butter for saturated fats.

Allan

8 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Hello Bubbles.

Sorry I could not resist it.

Love the new image just as much as the old one.

Allan

Thank you Allan. I do not have many photos of myself at all, it's forbidden. The old one was a bit stuck up. This one was taken after a couple of glasses of wine, so it helped going over the dislike.

6 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Yes we have philli but I cannot eat that on my cholesterol diet.

Allan

Ah yes I should have said sweetened condensed milk which is thick and very sweet.  Condensed milk is not sweetened.

Is there something else other than chocolate that can be added to help it set? 

Allan

There are butterscotch chips, and I actually think there are white chips, may be vanilla? There are peanut butter chips, here also.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

Hi Alan, check out the Carnation web site if you can’t make Betty’s recipe work. It’s a good source for recipes using condensed milk. This link is for their Ultimate Fudge. We’ve tried a few recipes from the site and they’ve all been good. My wife tells me Lidl now sell their own branded Condensed Milk for just under a quid.

https://www.carnation.co.uk/recipes/ultimate-fudge-recipe

Edited by Steve Hyde
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

Just checked and cocoa butter is 60% saturated fat.  I thought I had something at the back of my mind telling me to avoid.

Allan

9 hours ago, Steve Hyde said:

Hi Alan, check out the Carnation web site if you can’t make Betty’s recipe work. It’s a good source for recipes using condensed milk. This link is for their Ultimate Fudge. We’ve tried a few recipes from the site and they’ve all been good. My wife tells me Lidl now sell their own branded Condensed Milk for just under a quid.

https://www.carnation.co.uk/recipes/ultimate-fudge-recipe

Yes there are many fudge recipes. My favorite chocolate fudge recipe is one I’ve used for years & one needs to be a good candy-maker to make it. I have another one for peanut butter fudge that I love. I make it with crunchy peanut butter.

The only reason I posted the recipe I did is because it’s so fast, & while not my favorite recipe, still good.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Yes there are many fudge recipes. My favorite chocolate fudge recipe is one I’ve used for years & one needs to be a good candy-maker to make it. I have another one for peanut butter fudge that I love. I make it with crunchy peanut butter.

The only reason I posted the recipe I did is because it’s so fast, & while not my favorite recipe, still good.

Excellent. I've not tried making fudge so I might give the recipe you posted a try :)

• Love 1

So.... Round 3 of hubby's 'Girthday' took place last night.

The dinner was al fresco at the campsite along the palm trees fringed beach facing the Coral Sea in Palm Cove, Cairns Northern Beaches. Our ambient music was the joyful chirruping of dozens of colourful lorikeets in the trees  above. 

Pride of place goes to the bottle of Pepperjack, 'specially crafted to drink with red meat premium cuts'. 

So of course obeying the wine, I cooked a tender Porterhouse steak with pepper steak gravy, served with gratin dauphinois, i.e. layered finely sliced potatoes with a bechamel sauce including cheese, onions and mushrooms, topped with coriander.

Absolutely delicious combination. Can't wait for hubby's 71st birthday!!

• Like 4

On 24/03/2023 at 18:15, gvallee said:

So.... Round 3 of hubby's 'Girthday' took place last night.

The dinner was al fresco at the campsite along the palm trees fringed beach facing the Coral Sea in Palm Cove, Cairns Northern Beaches. Our ambient music was the joyful chirruping of dozens of colourful lorikeets in the trees  above. 

Pride of place goes to the bottle of Pepperjack, 'specially crafted to drink with red meat premium cuts'. 

So of course obeying the wine, I cooked a tender Porterhouse steak with pepper steak gravy, served with gratin dauphinois, i.e. layered finely sliced potatoes with a bechamel sauce including cheese, onions and mushrooms, topped with coriander.

Absolutely delicious combination. Can't wait for hubby's 71st birthday!!

Sounds delicious. I made beef stew from half of a large roast & ate on it for 3 days. Son ate some, took some home with him. I finished it off for Sunday lunch today. What’s nice about stew (or soup, mine had green beans & some cabbage in it) is that it is better the 2nd day after making…when the flavors blend & the salt & tomato flavor sinks into the potatoes, onion & carrots & whatever else I throw in. Yum.

• Love 1

46 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Sounds delicious. I made beef stew from half of a large roast & ate on it for 3 days. Son ate some, took some home with him. I finished it off for Sunday lunch today. What’s nice about stew (or soup, mine had green beans & some cabbage in it) is that it is better the 2nd day after making…when the flavors blend & the salt & tomato flavor sinks into the potatoes, onion & carrots & whatever else I throw in. Yum.

I miss making a good beef stew.  Hard to make for one person.  My daughter is a vegan and my son is not a fan (I know, crazy).  Such a great cold weather meal!

Sounds good, Betty. As a result of a bite from a Lone Star tick in early February, I’ve developed an allergy to all red meat, including beef, pork, lamb, goat, etc, and any kind of broth or grease derived from the meat. I never ate all that much red meat anyway but, now that I definitely can’t have any, it all sounds good to me. 

18 hours ago, Cecile Marion said:

Sounds good, Betty. As a result of a bite from a Lone Star tick in early February, I’ve developed an allergy to all red meat, including beef, pork, lamb, goat, etc, and any kind of broth or grease derived from the meat. I never ate all that much red meat anyway but, now that I definitely can’t have any, it all sounds good to me. 

Good grief, Cecile! I had read about tick bites causing that but haven’t known anyone it had happened to. I’m so sorry that happened to you. I hate ticks.

That reminds me of a trip we took to the east coast. Me, hubs, my mother. The first night after leaving Oklahoma, we stopped in Arkansas for the night & camped. The trail to the bathrooms was very narrow & vegetation brushed against our legs. My husband picked up a tick that embedded just at the top part of his knee. It was there all night. He found it the next morning when he showered.

it caused a wide red circle around the bite, about the size of a golf ball, that itched a lot. We’d be driving down the road & I’d see him rubbing the area. I asked, “Are you stroking your pet?” He did chuckle. Kind of. It bothered him for weeks.

• Love 1

18 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I miss making a good beef stew.  Hard to make for one person.  My daughter is a vegan and my son is not a fan (I know, crazy).  Such a great cold weather meal!

Yes it’s hard to make stew for one. I try, but it just seems to grow out of my starter pot & I end up with it in my big pot. But I love making something I can eat on for multiple days. Stew is something that I enjoy just as much (or more) the third day as the first meal.

I enjoy leftovers. Some people don’t. So a meatloaf, a pot roast, stew or whatever that I can cook that lasts for multiple days with just reheating is right up my alley. Really cuts down on cooking.
I don’t like to freeze stew because it makes the potatoes mushy, but many things, like meatloaf, freeze well.

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Good grief, Cecile! I had read about tick bites causing that but haven’t known anyone it had happened to. I’m so sorry that happened to you. I hate ticks.

That reminds me of a trip we took to the east coast. Me, hubs, my mother. The first night after leaving Oklahoma, we stopped in Arkansas for the night & camped. The trail to the bathrooms was very narrow & vegetation brushed against our legs. My husband picked up a tick that embedded just at the top part of his knee. It was there all night. He found it the next morning when he showered.

it caused a wide red circle around the bite, about the size of a golf ball, that itched a lot. We’d be driving down the road & I’d see him rubbing the area. I asked, “Are you stroking your pet?” He did chuckle. Kind of. It bothered him for weeks.

Sorry to hear that, Betty. Sounds awful! Yes, ticks are disgusting.

Edited by Cecile Marion

On 11/03/2023 at 18:39, Michael Ventura said:

And now Amazon has introduced new brick and mortar grocery stores where there is no check out needed.  As you put items in your cart (trolly), the cart scans the items and you just bag your things and leave.  Your card associated with Amazon will get charged.  There are two of those stores near me but have not tried them yet.

https://www.amazon.com/fmc/m/30003067?almBrandId=QW1hem9uIEZyZXNo&ref

Today I was passing by one of these new Amazon grocery stores and decided to stop and check it out.  I guess the future is here.  All you need is an Amazon app on your phone, which I have, and it will generate a unique QR code for that day's shopping.   You just toss items in your trolly and leave.  You get a receipt emailed to you.  I thought the cart (trolly) somehow scans and or weighs the items but the ceiling is covered with cameras and somehow they scan everything going into the cart.  Not sure how I feel about it all but I am sure the young people love it and they are the future too.  I guess I need to go back with my camera and get some shots, all I had was my phone/camera.

We suffered our first shopping technology failure yesterday. I was happily self scanning items as we wandered around the store when I tried to scan a pack of cheese. The gadget accepted the code, but it came up as a bottle of expensive shampoo !  I guess the problem was that there was a fold of the wrapping paper partially covering the bar code.  However when I tried to delete the item by rescanning it wouldn't reproduce the code. I eventually successfully scanned the cheese, but had to ask a shop assistant to delete the shampoo from our grocery purchases. You need to be just a tad wary of these gismos.

I don't have an Amazon app, and try to find other ways of buying stuff,   I guess I might have to concede when all of the alternatives have gone out of business.  🙃

Some better shopping news, I have just made an Ebay purchase of a battery testing gadget, to replace one that I have had for years.  It cost something like £4.50 delivered and it appears to work just fine.  How do they do it ?

The NY Yankees won their opening game for the 2023 season and Judge hit his first home run. When the Yankees win, all is right with the world (unless you're a Red Sox fan). 🙂

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 1

51 minutes ago, gvallee said:

1st April is always a fabulous anniversary for me. 38 years to the day I left France. 🍾 🎈🤩

Félicitations Gen! Tu peux être contente que je sois un peu plus vieux que 38 ans. Un peu... 😉

It's the start of the spaghetti season:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Félicitations Gen! Tu peux être contente que je sois un peu plus vieux que 38 ans. Un peu... 😉

It's the start of the spaghetti season:

Very good Steve. Dans ma  tête toujours 20 ans bien sûr. 

• Love 1

Interest Free Finance       -       Price Match Promise       -       Trade In Your Old Equipment

Interest Free Finance  -  Price Match Promise  -  Trade In Your Old Equipment

814422_jessopslogo.png

Free delivery over £50 or collect at store

814422_jessopslogo.png

CAMERAS   |    LENSES   |    DRONES   |    HOME TECH   |    ACCESSORIES   |    OPTICS   |    PHOTO

1420618_header.png

Introducing the first ever genuine smell capturing camera!

The Jessops Scratch & Sniff Instant Camera can capture up to 8 billion scents. 

Just point, click, print and scratch, and our superscent1000TM technology will get to work accurately reproducing the smell of the beautiful meadow you've just photographed, or the delicious apple pie.

Lasts up to 100 years.

Available April 1st 2023

• Love 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Interest Free Finance       -       Price Match Promise       -       Trade In Your Old Equipment

Interest Free Finance  -  Price Match Promise  -  Trade In Your Old Equipment

814422_jessopslogo.png

814422_jessopslogo.png

CAMERAS   |    LENSES   |    DRONES   |    HOME TECH   |    ACCESSORIES   |    OPTICS   |    PHOTO

1420618_header.png

Introducing the first ever genuine smell capturing camera!

The Jessops Scratch & Sniff Instant Camera can capture up to 8 billion scents. 

Just point, click, print and scratch, and our superscent1000TM technology will get to work accurately reproducing the smell of the beautiful meadow you've just photographed, or the delicious apple pie.

Lasts up to 100 years.

Available April 1st 2023

Haha🤪

On 23/03/2023 at 17:36, Betty LaRue said:

Hi Betty I have sent you an email.

Allan

• Love 1

• Alamy locked this topic