Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

Sorry Cal but your post sounds like the camera shop was stored in a freezer.

I know I am not the best at grammar or spelling but it does sometimes make me laugh when I see others errors.

Allan

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Sorry Cal but your post sounds like the camera shop was stored in a freezer.

I know I am not the best at grammar or spelling but it does sometimes make me laugh when I see others errors.

Allan

I catch myself quite often doing as Cal. And then, sometimes I don’t try to catch myself since my English class teacher isn’t grading me. Usually people get what I’m trying to say. Although I made straight As in English composition, I can’t say I’m overly fussed with it these days, and I’m many years past those classes.

The temperature soared to around 15 deg C today and my max min thermometer recorded an uncomfortably hot 40 deg C in the greenhouse.

This prompted me to leave the greenhouse door open and sow a load of brassica seeds, hopefully not too early.

It's a tricky time of year, one day warm the next possibly freezing. 

My wife is due back this evening. The peace will be shattered, but absence makes the heart grow even fonder, so looking forward to picking her up from her flight.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

The temperature soared to around 15 deg C today and my max min thermometer recorded an uncomfortably hot 40 deg C in the greenhouse.

This prompted me to leave the greenhouse door open and sow a load of brassica seeds, hopefully not too early.

It's a tricky time of year, one day warm the next possibly freezing. 

My wife is due back this evening. The peace will be shattered, but absence makes the heart grow even fonder, so looking forward to picking her up from her flight.

I used to look forward to days on my own. Me time, no meals to cook if I didn’t want to. At the end of it, I was back to enjoying a twosome. Sometimes we just need to get in touch with ourselves in the Great Alone.

• Love 1

7 hours ago, Cal said:

Scored a roll of Provia 400 from a local camera shop today that was supposedly freezer stored all its life. Expired 2015 which is often much later than I see on ebay. Nice surprise as I only went in for some Ektar and came out with a big smile!

I used to shoot with that. A good one. Now you can clench up over what you’ll shoot with it! :)

The forum is back! And I discovered that life could begin in the morning without it though not without some extra effort to focus my mind and something else to read while I had my juice.

Paulette

• Love 2

I have to admit, I was going through some withdrawal symptoms without the forum these last couple of days.  Good to have it back.  Too much of my morning routine, to check the forum while having my first cuppa coffee and newspaper. 😃  

• Love 1
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

What's a newspaper?😉

Ha. Since the majority of my income comes from the print media, I try to support it.  I still get The Washington Post and The New York Times (Sunday only) delivered to my door in the morning.  I also get a number of magazines in the mail, some of them are free since I am a regular contributor.  But I am very well aware that print is a dying breed, hopefully I can run out the clock with them.

• Love 1
  • Like 3

My favorite grocery store had anjou pears this morning for the first time in a while. I've been having to pick them up at Trader Joe's in Soho when I'm visiting a friend. They are soooo juicy. Also avocados at $1.99 each. I grew up in San Diego where we usually had a neighbor with a tree. They were impossible to get out of season though. In New York now we get them all year and, sadly, $2 each is a bargain. Tuesday morning seems to be a good day for grocery shopping. It wasn't crowded and my cashier had a big smile (no mask). Happy.

Paulette

• Love 2

I’m going to make a simple fudge recipe later today. 1 package chocolate chips, 1 can eagle brand sweetened milk. Melt on high in microwave for a minute…wait a minute & stir. If not melted completely, a few more microwave seconds. Add 1 tsp vanilla, stir and put in 9x9 inch buttered dish, or line dish with parchment paper then pour in fudge. Easy to lift out. I’ll add nuts to it before pouring. Allow to set up. Doesn’t need refrigerated unless initially to set up quickly.

Then I’ll photograph it! 😊

• Love 1

An old friend came to visit on his way back from a work trip to Chile.  Other friends took us out to eat at Selva Negra Sunday.  Today, my helper took my friend to the local coffee and cacao growers outlet and the friend came back with coffee and chocolate bars for his friend in Houston.  The friend will be going with my helper to the cross at Pena de la Cruz tomorrow if it's not raining.  Thursday, they'll be going to Matagalpa for the day.   I'm not going because getting on and off buses isn't easy for me.  Then Friday, we will be going to Managua to renew my residency and check my friend into Las Mercedes across the street from the airport, where he has an early morning flight to the US via Mexico City (AeroMexico, changing planes for an LA bound AeroMexico plane, then another airline to Tuscon.

He's enjoyed Jinotega.   I've enjoyed having him visit.   He's staying at my friend's hotel and we have breakfast and then figure out the day. 

• Like 1

21st March comes around and we Spring into action for three feasting days of 'Girthday' celebration for hubby’s 70th birthday.

Why three? Hubby’s two sisters each gave him a bottle of very good red wine. So one meal cooked by me with each bottle, and a treat from me to the top French restaurant in Cairns.

Round one is a bottle of Jarraman Cabernet Sauvignon, Coonawarra, South Australia, vintage year 15, ranked world number 1 winery in 2017. With that goes my delectable meal of smoked trout and dill frittata with bacon-wrapped asparagus. The taste is sublime, especially as I cooked it while camping without an oven!

Round two on the 21st, we beat the massive downpours in the late afternoon by taking a taxi to French ecstasies at C'est Bon, a restaurant topped with a mini Tour Eiffel in central Cairns. 

Two Kir Royals lead the charge into warm, soft, crusty baguette, followed by starters of delicately sauced scallops and Brie and leek mini tartelettes complete with glazed walnuts.

A wonderful bottle of Barossa Shiraz paves the way for the next course of tender, goat casserole in rich sauce, with garlic confit (of course 😁) and toasted brioche.

Not being a sweet tooth, I passed on dessert, but hubby plumped for the house specialty, soufflé du jour with its berry coulis, touch of cream and crumble. Heavenly! 

By now we are tipsy, giggling like teenagers as we attempt selfies (for the first time!) and chortle at our purple lined lips.

Right now we’re in a food coma, delaying round three for a few days.

Edited by gvallee
  • Like 2

Alongside all of this gastronomic excellence my efforts are paltry, but being home alone again ( wonderfully peaceful) I made and enjoyed a veggie pizza with salad yesterday evening.  For some reason my wife isn't keen on my home made pizzas, always a favourite with our sons and me, so whenever she is away out comes the pizza stone. What's more there is some left for lunch today !

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Alongside all of this gastronomic excellence my efforts are paltry, but being home alone again ( wonderfully peaceful) I made and enjoyed a veggie pizza with salad yesterday evening.  For some reason my wife isn't keen on my home made pizzas, always a favourite with our sons and me, so whenever she is away out comes the pizza stone. What's more there is some left for lunch today !

Nothing to be humble about Bryan, I love stone baked pizzas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

Thank you Paulette. It was taken last night.

Hello Bubbles.

Sorry I could not resist it.

Love the new image just as much as the old one.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’m going to make a simple fudge recipe later today. 1 package chocolate chips, 1 can eagle brand sweetened milk. Melt on high in microwave for a minute…wait a minute & stir. If not melted completely, a few more microwave seconds. Add 1 tsp vanilla, stir and put in 9x9 inch buttered dish, or line dish with parchment paper then pour in fudge. Easy to lift out. I’ll add nuts to it before pouring. Allow to set up. Doesn’t need refrigerated unless initially to set up quickly.

Then I’ll photograph it! 😊

Thanks for the recipe. I love fudge so will try it myself.  You say "Sweetened milk".  Over here I think it would be the same as our "Condensed milk". I prefer plain vanilla fudge so will leave the choc chips out. What is quantity of your Sweetened milk please?

Allan

30 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Thanks for the recipe. I love fudge so will try it myself.  You say "Sweetened milk".  Over here I think it would be the same as our "Condensed milk". I prefer plain vanilla fudge so will leave the choc chips out. What is quantity of your Sweetened milk please?

Allan

We have two kinds of condensed milk. One kind is sweetened and is very sweet. Good for candy. I have only made the fudge you make from Philadelphia cream cheese. I wonder if you have something like that. I think it is easier and very rich.

Paulette

55 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

Allan, without the chocolate chips, the fudge won’t set. The sweetened milk is goopy. The chocolate chips are hard, melt to mix, then set the fudge up after mixing. I ‘m not sure, but condensed milk, I think, isn’t the same as the Eagle brand milk which is thicker & very sweet. Condensed milk, like you say, is different.

Eagle brand milk comes in a can of 14 ounces. I think your condensed milk is probably like our brands of Milnot, Pet milk, or Carnation (brands), which is the consistency more similar to cream.

3 hours ago, NYCat said:

We have two kinds of condensed milk. One kind is sweetened and is very sweet. Good for candy. I have only made the fudge you make from Philadelphia cream cheese. I wonder if you have something like that. I think it is easier and very rich.

Paulette

Yes we have philli but I cannot eat that on my cholesterol diet.

Allan

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Allan, without the chocolate chips, the fudge won’t set. The sweetened milk is goopy. The chocolate chips are hard, melt to mix, then set the fudge up after mixing. I ‘m not sure, but condensed milk, I think, isn’t the same as the Eagle brand milk which is thicker & very sweet. Condensed milk, like you say, is different.

Eagle brand milk comes in a can of 14 ounces. I think your condensed milk is probably like our brands of Milnot, Pet milk, or Carnation (brands), which is the consistency more similar to cream.

Ah yes I should have said sweetened condensed milk which is thick and very sweet.  Condensed milk is not sweetened.

Is there something else other than chocolate that can be added to help it set? 

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

• Alamy locked this topic