Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

5 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I generally enjoyed driving in France Gen, away from the cities the roads are, or were, relatively quiet. I can only recall one incidence of road rage, when a truck driver clearly thought we were going too slowly and he hooted as he overtook and pulled in in front of us far too quickly, but generally I found the French drivers understanding towards a foreigner. We sold our caravan last year for a couple of reasons, one being the 300 mile trek to the south coast to catch a ferry on the UK's crowded motorways, and the second that we were both finding it more difficult to sleep in it. Weirdly I never found myself driving on the wrong side of the road in continental Europe, but once set off on the right side a week after returning to England - fortunately no harm done. We had ten great years towing around Europe, I remain grateful that I was able to take early retirement and do it out of season. My wife never towed the van, I tried to persuade her to take a towing course, but she wasn't interested. 

When I lived in the UK, I used to cross over to Normandy every other week. Sticking to the correct side of the road wasn't so much of a problem but overtaking was. The only way I could see if a car was coming in the other direction was if I was following a tractor. I could see in between its wheels 😃

• Like 1

I found when I was young, I could be stressed out or have a bad night, & bounce right back quickly. As years went by, it took me longer to bounce back. One's body gets tired quicker, and you start weighing the fun against the hassles. When the hassles begin to outweigh the fun, it’s time to hang it up.

When my husband & I were young & newlywed, then while our children were young, we didn’t have the money to travel. We did camping vacations not that far from home, a lot of fun things at home.

After the kids flew the coop, we were still relatively young, my husband had a higher salary, I was working & we could afford to do some of the things we couldn’t do before, & did them. Both of us into photography but a few trips before I was into stock, shooting film.

There is a time for everything.
We do have our memories, don’t we? Gen is still making them.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I found when I was young, I could be stressed out or have a bad night, & bounce right back quickly. As years went by, it took me longer to bounce back. One's body gets tired quicker, and you start weighing the fun against the hassles. When the hassles begin to outweigh the fun, it’s time to hang it up.

When my husband & I were young & newlywed, then while our children were young, we didn’t have the money to travel. We did camping vacations not that far from home, a lot of fun things at home.

After the kids flew the coop, we were still relatively young, my husband had a higher salary, I was working & we could afford to do some of the things we couldn’t do before, & did them. Both of us into photography but a few trips before I was into stock, shooting film.

There is a time for everything.
We do have our memories, don’t we? Gen is still making them.

I hope both you and I plus other goldens on here are still making memories.😃

Allan

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

We used a company called canvas holidays, they appear to be still in business. They provided tents with a person on site who sorted things and organised activities for the kids at various locations in France. It wasn't expensive and you could visit more than one site. We had some great family trips. Our elder son had an aptitude for languages and I'm sure these trips helped steer him towards a degree course in French with business. His first job after graduating saw him working as a salesman for a UK company in France. I had hoped that he might meet a nice French girl whose father owned a vineyard that I could visit, but it wasn't to be. He became involved with an American girl and I recall that we were with the two of them in France when the 911 attacks  occured. She was naturally very concerned, but fortunately her relatives were ok. The relationship sadly didn't last, she returned to the USA and our lad married a Yorkshire lass.

• Love 1

7 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I hope both you and I plus other goldens on here are still making memories.😃

Allan

At this stage, I'm not sure if I'm still making memories or losing my memory.

10 hours ago, gvallee said:

At this stage, I'm not sure if I'm still making memories or losing my memory.

😟

Allan

1 hour ago, Mr Standfast said:

Can we put "memory" on the same shelf as football, politics and religion?

ERrrr!  Where is the shelf?

Allan

A few good things happened today. Last month was pitiful for zooms but I still made sales. So far many zooms, all related to images shot around 5 years ago.  

Last year I let my public liability insurance lapse. It was for £3M, but for some events was insufficient. Searched around and obtained insurance for £5M for less than I was previously paying for £3M, although my excess has increased. That suits me and I now have piece of mind.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bryan said:

We used a company called canvas holidays, they appear to be still in business. They provided tents with a person on site who sorted things and organised activities for the kids at various locations in France. It wasn't expensive and you could visit more than one site. We had some great family trips. Our elder son had an aptitude for languages and I'm sure these trips helped steer him towards a degree course in French with business. His first job after graduating saw him working as a salesman for a UK company in France. I had hoped that he might meet a nice French girl whose father owned a vineyard that I could visit, but it wasn't to be. He became involved with an American girl and I recall that we were with the two of them in France when the 911 attacks  occured. She was naturally very concerned, but fortunately her relatives were ok. The relationship sadly didn't last, she returned to the USA and our lad married a Yorkshire lass.

After the kids were gone, we took a trip to Jackson Hole, Teton mountains, Wyoming. We rented a tent that had 2 log sides & 2 canvas sides in a campground. There was a wood-burning Ben Franklin stove inside, with wall-mounted cots. This was July & we froze our nether parts off that night. Bob built a fire in the stove, only to realize the venting stovepipe had come apart. The tent filled up with smoke. With streaming eyes, we huddled in our coats on the patio until the smoke cleared & Bob could fix the pipes.

The next morning was a wonderland, with frozen fog/frost on every tree, pine needle, leaf, blade of grass. The sun was up & we were sitting on the patio in our coats, earmuffs & gloves, drinking hot coffee I’d brewed in our camp coffee pot. We soaked in the sight of the sun glinting off the ice, turning everything into sparkling diamonds, while birds flitted around singing their morning songs.
It was heavenly wonderful.

• Love 1

On 05/03/2023 at 23:25, Bryan said:

There seem to be quite a few vineyards in Yorkshire...

wim

• Love 1

10 hours ago, NYCat said:

I rode with the singing bus driver again. He also greets everyone who gets on his bus so we had a bus full of smiles. So nice.

Paulette

In my part of the country people tend to greet the bus drivers with a "Good morning/afternoon" and "How are you today?" when getting on the bus. when leaving the bus at their stop they Thank the driver.

I often have a short conversation with the drivers,

Allan

28 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

If that image is of a Yorkshire vineyard I'll eat my hat.........probably tastes better than Yorkshire wine.

Haha! Now how can that be not an honest image from Yorkshire? It's from Unsplash. And Unsplash is an honorable ehhh..

wim

edit: Downloads 8,889 it says underneath the image on Unsplash. According to TinEye it has been available in purple on Alamy, but here the links end up at the nice young boy with the binoculars.

Edited by wiskerke
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

In my part of the country people tend to greet the bus drivers with a "Good morning/afternoon" and "How are you today?" when getting on the bus. when leaving the bus at their stop they Thank the driver.

Allan

That is done here too but the volume of people getting on and off every 60 seconds or so usually has the drivers being pretty silent. Not to mention the tight squeeze between cars and trucks on the route on my street. I'm amazed at their skill sometimes with only a couple of inches on each side. And between the wretched violence here and Covid we have a plastic partition to talk through. Our singer is a blessing. He maintains his good cheer through everything. I had a very busy telephone job for a while and the folks from out of New York who wanted to chat could be really annoying when I had several people on hold. I probably sounded mean many times as i tried to move them along and get other people out of the holding hell. 

Paulette

• Love 1

This is going into the Good Things thread because it made me laugh a lot.

The temperature has been in the 30C/86F for weeks and weeks. Today was 33C/91.4F. What is the local store selling? Woolly hats and woolly scarves!! Perhaps they feel they need to show solidarity with Europe or something??

I'm talking about Cairns. In the Tropics.

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Do the Salties wear wool hats in Cairns?

Some very weird things happen in Oz in the wildlife world Edo. Today was an article. with photos, of a dead baby snake coming out of a frog's bum. No-one is too sure what happened. End of story. Too disgusting.

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

This is going into the Good Things thread because it made me laugh a lot.

The temperature has been in the 30C/86F for weeks and weeks. Today was 33C/91.4F. What is the local store selling? Woolly hats and woolly scarves!! Perhaps they feel they need to show solidarity with Europe or something??

I'm talking about Cairns. In the Tropics.

😀

• Love 1

22 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

I normally speak to the drivers, but not all respond. I guess those that interact with the public get more out of the job. 

However, whilst on the subject, I've taken a number of photos from the top deck of buses You get a different view of the world from up there and some have sold. Conditions need to be good, clean windows, best with bus in shade subject lit etc, but worth thinking about. 

2P8CJ24.jpg

Earlier this week in Leeds before the snow came!

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 2

• Alamy locked this topic