Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

2 hours ago, NYCat said:

This sounds totally different from our system. Do you mean you can somehow scan right at the shelf? We have to go to a spot with no space to put anything and juggle produce, wallet, gizmo that gives discounts and maybe umbrella or anything else we are carrying. I usually need help because the machine doesn't like me. All this is after having to get help to unlock shelves to reach items because shoplifting has become a way of life here and it is seldom punished. Walmart is closing all of its outlets in one city out west. Craziness here. No wonder people turn to Amazon.

Hi Paulette

At our larger supermarkets you can either scan items off the shelf using an app on your phone, or, in some instances, use a hand scanner that the store provides. The trolleys come with a little bracket to hold the scanner. The most tedious part of the operation is digging your membership card out of your wallet/purse and scanning the barcode on that. The only time that help is normally required is if you purchase alcohol or non alcoholic beer, when a member of staff has to certify that you are over 18. Very occasionally they do a check to ensure that you are not pinching stuff.  The smaller stores don't have these facilities. At these you have to self scan at checkout or take your purchases to a manned till. 

Edited by Bryan

54 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Hi Paulette

At our larger supermarkets you can either scan items off the shelf using an app on your phone, or, in some instances, use a hand scanner that the store provides. The trolleys come with a little bracket to hold the scanner. The most tedious part of the operation is digging your membership card out of your wallet/purse and scanning the barcode on that. The only time that help is normally required is if you purchase alcohol or non alcoholic beer, when a member of staff has to certify that you are over 18. Very occasionally they do a check to ensure that you are not pinching stuff.  The smaller stores don't have these facilities. At these you have to self scan at checkout or take your purchases to a manned till. 

Wow. We are definitely behind the times. Though maybe in other parts of the US we have that. This country is not only big it is varied with a lot decided locally. 

Paulette

2 hours ago, NYCat said:

Wow. We are definitely behind the times. Though maybe in other parts of the US we have that. This country is not only big it is varied with a lot decided locally. 

Paulette

I saw portable scanners available at a Giant supermarket in Philly.

The newesr thing now is using tracking and ai. In Seattle, I visited one of their first Amazon Fresh supermarkets that was a large scale version of their Amazon Go stores, i.e., walk in, put it in your bag, and walk out. The Go stores you scan your Amazon code on your app prior to walking in, in the Fresh stores, they additionally have  computerized carts/trolleys, and regular checkout for those paying cash as required by many cities for equity reasons (non discriminatory toward those without the means to use cashless services). Cameras, ai, and sensors on the shelves determine what you picked up and kept. They are now opening a few new amazon fresh supermarkets in the DMV (Washington DC area) in addition to the one whole foods market equipped with the tech.

Btw, DC has the highest income divide by race in the country, these cashless amazon fresh stores remind me of a time a few decades ago when mobile phones were on the rise, and public payphones were in still in use, yet in DC it was difficult to find a public payphone anywhere; itdidnt seem like a welcoming place for people of lesser means.

scan-bag-scan-and-go-shopping-technology

Edited by sooth

27 minutes ago, sooth said:

I saw portable scanners available at a Giant supermarket in Philly. The newer thing now is using tracking and ai. In Seattle, I visited one of their first Amazon Fresh supermarkets that was a large scale version of their Amazon Go stores, i.e., walk in, put it in your bag, and walk out. The Go stores you scan your Amazon code on your app prior to walking in, in the Fresh stores, they additionally have  computerized carts/trolleys, and regular checkout for those paying cash as required by many cities for equity reasons (non discriminatory toward those without the means to use cashless services). Cameras, ai, and sensors on the shelves determine what you picked up and kept. They are now opening a few new amazon fresh supermarkets in the DMV (Washington DC area) in addition to the one whole foods market equipped with the tech.

scan-bag-scan-and-go-shopping-technology

Thanks for this information. I don't know if I'm thrilled or terrified. Something ominous about it. Does it help with the shoplifting? I guess it would be as long as there were consequences.

Paulette

And now Amazon has introduced new brick and mortar grocery stores where there is no check out needed.  As you put items in your cart (trolly), the cart scans the items and you just bag your things and leave.  Your card associated with Amazon will get charged.  There are two of those stores near me but have not tried them yet.

https://www.amazon.com/fmc/m/30003067?almBrandId=QW1hem9uIEZyZXNo&ref

It looks like the weather is improving, after days of frost and some snow we have a predicted 10 deg C for today. Yesterday I sowed broad beans and parsnips in the greenhouse and sweet peppers in a propagator. The soil is still far too cold for sowing outdoors. The gardening year is getting under way. However, as in the poem, April is the cruelest month, vigilance still required ! It's probably a bit early to be starting tomatoes.

• Love 1

9 hours ago, Bryan said:

It looks like the weather is improving, after days of frost and some snow we have a predicted 10 deg C for today. Yesterday I sowed broad beans and parsnips in the greenhouse and sweet peppers in a propagator. The soil is still far too cold for sowing outdoors. The gardening year is getting under way. However, as in the poem, April is the cruelest month, vigilance still required ! It's probably a bit early to be starting tomatoes.

Someone in the Government will be composing a reply saying there is no need to grow your own Tomatoes.😉i

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Hedgehogs have returned! We also have a fox! 🦔😉🦊

Sadly I haven't seen hedgehogs in the garden for a few years, and much the same for foxes. We used to have a family of foxes sunbathing at the bottom of the garden, they originated from the overgrown garden of a nearby house that had been empty for years. I still see foxes in the area wandering about night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sb photos said:

Sadly I haven't seen hedgehogs in the garden for a few years, and much the same for foxes. We used to have a family of foxes sunbathing at the bottom of the garden, they originated from the overgrown garden of a nearby house that had been empty for years. I still see foxes in the area wandering about night.

We're fox city. We reckon they like it here because, to us, garden is a noun, not a verb..

We've had 5 cubs and their sitter on the lawn. It's  720p as I only have the free version of Lightworks.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

We're fox city. We reckon they like it here because, to us, garden is a noun, not a verb..

We've had 5 cubs and their sitter on the lawn. It's  720p as I only have the free version of Lightworks.

Love it. Thanks.

I've just been offered a free membership in the Walmart Rewards Program. They will give me a free 170 piece Stanley Tool Set. From the looks of it I'd have to devote my entire bedroom closet to storing it. I wonder what I ordered that had them thinking I needed a few tools.

Paulette

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, spacecadet said:

What a wonderful sight. My daughter in Bristol has had foxes every spring for some time taking over an old shed at the bottom of the garden. She was going to get it taken down, but not while the foxes are still using it. I've only seen the foxes there once on a trip down, they certainly weren't as energetic as yours.

• Thanks 1

On 11/03/2023 at 11:48, NYCat said:

Thanks for this information. I don't know if I'm thrilled or terrified. Something ominous about it. Does it help with the shoplifting? I guess it would be as long as there were consequences.

Paulette

Maybe old dinosaurs like us just as well head for the tar pits, Paulette, and let technology push us under. :D

• Love 1

48 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Maybe old dinosaurs like us just as well head for the tar pits, Paulette, and let technology push us under. :D

Goodness me what a depressing thought, better to head to the shops and buy a bottle of wine. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Another is it a good or bad thing post. My wife is about to head off to see her brother and his family, flying down to the south coast for a few days. She normally goes once a year. Neither of us can stand the thought of that long drive, and the airfare is less than the cost of the train.

So I'm going to be home alone this coming week. Clearly a bad thing in that I'm going to be a bit lonely, but a good thing in that I get to choose what to cook and eat. So no animals will be dying on my behalf, while I'll certainly be making a pizza and enjoying apple pie. 

• Love 1

On 12/03/2023 at 02:21, Bryan said:

I guess it depends what you consider an improvement - I was starting to get sick of freezing every time I went out, but today it's done nothing but p1ss down despite being much warmer. It definitely isn't photography weather!

1 hour ago, Cal said:

I guess it depends what you consider an improvement - I was starting to get sick of freezing every time I went out, but today it's done nothing but p1ss down despite being much warmer. It definitely isn't photography weather!

You ain't a wet weather photographer then?

lady-carrying-open-multi-coloured-umbrel

Allan

• Like 1

I've taken the subway a few times lately. Usually, of course, everyone is on their phone but I've seen a few people reading actual BOOKS. Those things made of paper. Today it was a teen-age girl reading "Pride and Prejudice." I love having that connection with young people reading the classics I have read.

Paulette

• Love 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

I've taken the subway a few times lately. Usually, of course, everyone is on their phone but I've seen a few people reading actual BOOKS. Those things made of paper. Today it was a teen-age girl reading "Pride and Prejudice." I love having that connection with young people reading the classics I have read.

Paulette

I used to be an avid reader, but no longer I fear. I start a novel then decide the story/characters are too far fetched and put the book down. Old age grumpiness I guess, combined with the lures of the IT age.  However, one summer holiday many years ago my wife took a copy of Pride and Prejudice with her, and, in a moment of boredom, I picked it up, then enjoyed reading all of it.  Happy days. I'm pleased to say that our grandchildren read more than I would have expected, much encouraged by my wife who buys them books at every opportunity.

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 1

I’ve been a big reader since 7 years old, reading above my age. That's because the more you read, the better you get at it.
Like the girl on the subway, I take my kindle with me everywhere for those bits of waiting or idle time. It used to be paper books, but the kindle is easier on arthritic hands & takes up less room in my handbag. The pressure one uses to hold a paperback open hurts joints.

On 14/03/2023 at 22:09, Betty LaRue said:

I’ve been a big reader since 7 years old, reading above my age. That's because the more you read, the better you get at it.
Like the girl on the subway, I take my kindle with me everywhere for those bits of waiting or idle time. It used to be paper books, but the kindle is easier on arthritic hands & takes up less room in my handbag. The pressure one uses to hold a paperback open hurts joints.

My daughter was thinking of getting me a Kindle or trying to persuade me to get one but I prefer the printed item especially for reading in bed before lights out.

I still consider it might be a useful thing to have when travelling though. Only problem is the cost of buying one.

Allan

I use two e-readers these days -- an Apple iPad 6 mini and a Kindle Fire. It took me no more than one page to get used to using an e-reader. The one I was most comfortable with in NYC was the Kindle Paperwhite. They sell them here, of course. 

https://www.johnlewis.com/amazon-kindle-paperwhite-11th-generation-waterproof-ereader-6-8-inch-high-resolution-illuminated-touch-screen-with-adjustable-warm-light-built-in-audible-8gb-with-special-offers-black/p5867794?s_ppc=2dx92700070984466785_mixed_technology_BAU&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=CjwKCAjw_MqgBhAGEiwAnYOAesEWMYUZgU8V4-garw3MCaoZdVLpjsc4cJh833xB9aORCQrQbCQ0-hoCwVAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you in a waiting area, you can read e-books on an iPhone.

Edited by Ed Rooney

I do use a Kindle Paperwhite. Since buying a Kindle, I’ve saved enough money to buy who knows how many Kindles. Before buying it, I was buying about 8-10 novels a month (I read fast) that were costing around $8 each, give or take. I have no idea what they cost right now. That’s $64 a month not including tax. That ended 10 years ago. I figured that's well over $1,000. I joined Bookbub which offers a lot of ebooks in my genres for free. Once in awhile, maybe once a month, i’ll buy one for 99 cents or $1.99. A few times a year, one more expensive, but never at the price I’d pay from a shop.

I tried used bookstores at one time but found I spent 2 hours trying to find one I hadn’t already read in my genres. I’d leave exhausted & disgruntled, often empty-handed. And they still cost well over what I pay now on an e-reader. You can’t beat mostly free.

Used to when we went on vacation, I’d buy up 6-7 novels to take with me, which took up a lot of room in luggage. Now I have a slender device that right now, I have at least 600 books waiting for me to read. I never run out of reading material, which used to send me into a mild panic. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

When reading in bed it is nice to use a Kindle or iPhone because you don't need to have a light on. When I was traveling with a friend she could go to sleep and I could keep reading. I have been getting ebooks from the library lately. Free. They magically return themselves after 3 weeks. You can even highlight and make notes.

Paulette

• Like 2

Scored a roll of Provia 400 from a local camera shop today that was supposedly freezer stored all its life. Expired 2015 which is often much later than I see on ebay. Nice surprise as I only went in for some Ektar and came out with a big smile!

• Like 2

• Alamy locked this topic