Alan Beastall

2020 January Favourity Uploads

This one is from my winter project (scanning film from the 80's and 90's)

Writing on Stone Rodeo, Alberta Canada circa 1980. 

behind-the-chutes-at-the-writing-on-stone-rodeo-alberta-canada-vintage-monochrome-1980-2AJR920.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Like Rico above, scanning (well, someone else is for me) old stuff, from the 90s into the 00s.

Always wanted to have a photograph that was high contrast showing a jazz musician, and managed to find one in my archive !

pete-judge-of-the-drum-trumpet-duo-eyebrow-who-produce-an-electronic-ambient-jazz-style-of-minimalist-music-photographed-in-the-prince-albert-pub-stroud-in-the-uk-in-november-2010-2AKYAB6.jpg

Pete Judge, of the drum & trumpet duo Eyebrow, who produce an electronic ambient jazz style of minimalist music. Photographed in the Prince Albert pub, Stroud in the UK in November 2010.
  • Upvote 1

During the gloomy winter months, I often go back through my old files in search of any "hidden gems" that I might have overlooked. Last week, I came across this shot of a deserted beach on Big Corn Island in Nicaragua that for some reason I had never processed. Kinda wish I was there now...

pristine-white-sand-caribbean-beach-on-b

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2AKDGCN.jpg
my Christmas decor

2AM7TC4.jpg
I love owls
2AM7TCE.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue

On 11/01/2020 at 10:12, The Blinking Eye said:

woweeee I'm tempted to buy that!

Thank you Kristin!

I'm glad you like this picture.

• Like 1

Martinborough Hotel, Wairarapa, New Zealand

2AMB214.jpg

Moy Hall vineyard

2AMBHHK.jpg

2AMBHEM.jpg

2AMBHDA.jpg

Edited by spacecadet

2AKFERK.jpg

When I had foolish aspirations that my personal site may somehow make some money, I had some images I kept exclusive to my site, including this one, which have always been quite fond of.

Still making my way through those images, and down to the last 250.

Now using a much cheaper solution for my site, which has the benefit of having it's own online market place. Not that sold anything there - or much of anything anywhere currently :D

I'm probably going to have to change all my exclusive RM content here to non-exclusive RF so that I can list some here as well as my own site.

18 minutes ago, chris_rabe said:

I'm probably going to have to change all my exclusive RM content here to non-exclusive RF so that I can list some here as well as my own site.

As I understand, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, you can have Alamy exclusive images as long as they are not placed with another Agency. Selling from your own website is permitted as it is not another Agency.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, sb photos said:

As I understand, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, you can have Alamy exclusive images as long as they are not placed with another Agency. Selling from your own website is permitted as it is not another Agency.

It's kind of an agency that I use as my site now. All images are available on their market place, but you still get the option to have your own store with your own prices, hosted on your own domain.

Hence, any images I put there cannot be marked exclusive here. 

Older ones from the Made in Jinotega (Nicaragua) series, but just uploaded recently:

interior-of-a-kitchen-used-for-small-sca

Tortilla makers in a traditional Nicaraguan kitchen.   Yes, the younger woman wears that make-up every day.  They have both wood-fired and gas cook tops. 

dressmaker-looking-for-patterns-2AJ65E6.

Dressmaker looking for patterns.

ngo-workers-in-the-coffee-shop-run-by-uc

NGO volunteers in the coffee shop run by UCA Soppexcca, a coffee growers's coop.  The shop sells whole and ground beans as well as cups of espresso, cappuchino, and pastries.  Processing was done on premises when I took photos there.  They also process cacao and have coffee tastings.   

• Upvote 1

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 09:26, Rico said:

This one is from my winter project (scanning film from the 80's and 90's)

Writing on Stone Rodeo, Alberta Canada circa 1980. 

behind-the-chutes-at-the-writing-on-stone-rodeo-alberta-canada-vintage-monochrome-1980-2AJR920.jpg

Nice scan Rick,

I'm jealous,  I can't get a nice flat scan like yours from my CanoScan FS 4000.

Like your images.

Check out http://chucknacke.com/cowboy2.html really old site but Adam's MF scans were and are great.

Chuck

Edited by Chuck Nacke
addition
  • Upvote 1

Taken from the roof of my apartment building a couple weeks ago.

Rainbow over Emeryville from south of the Sherwin-Williams construction site; former Novartis building or "Emeryville Center of Innovation" behind it. Stock Photo

Rainbow over Emeryville above the Sherwin-Williams warehouse and former Novartis building or "Emeryville Center of Innovation". Berkeley Hills behind. Stock Photo

• Upvote 1

Cape Palliser, North Island New Zealand.

Cook Strait

2AMX929.jpg

2AMX8Y6.jpg

......and just around the Cape, the South Pacific......

2AMX960.jpg

The lighthouse.....252 steps

2AMX92G.jpg

Red-billed gull with attitude

2AMX938.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Nice scan Rick,

I'm jealous,  I can't get a nice flat scan like yours from my CanoScan FS 4000.

Like your images.

Check out http://chucknacke.com/cowboy2.html really old site but Adam's MF scans were and are great.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck😀!

Right now I'm using a CanoScan 9000F MkII for my new scans but for this image I used a professional scanning firm. It cost me about $80 for it. As I consider it my "masterpiece" and it hangs on my office wall, I think it was well worth it. Plus it was shot with a Hasselblad, so that made a difference too.

Rick

(edit) I just checked out your photo😊. Coincidentally, I named my photograph "The Last Rodeo"  Great minds think alike. right?

Edited by Rico

I enjoy repurposing things like these two glass pillar candle holders, filled with other Christmas decor.
2AN3B9D.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Red-billed gull with attitude

2AMX938.jpg

Awww, how cute!

11 hours ago, Rico said:

Thanks Chuck😀!

Right now I'm using a CanoScan 9000F MkII for my new scans but for this image I used a professional scanning firm. It cost me about $80 for it. As I consider it my "masterpiece" and it hangs on my office wall, I think it was well worth it. Plus it was shot with a Hasselblad, so that made a difference too.

Rick

(edit) I just checked out your photo😊. Coincidentally, I named my photograph "The Last Rodeo"  Great minds think alike. right?

Rick,

Thanks, but the cowboys are not "my photos"  That was back in the day that I featured a photographer every month.  That was so long ago that 760 X was

the web format  Adam did shoot all those cowboy photos with  MF's

Best,

Chuck

13 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Awww, how cute!

Yes, I don't think it was nesting- looked at me as I got a bit nearer then did that. Unbeatable pic, if not very ornithological.

I do have an ordinary one, though.

2AMX962.jpg

We stopped for a coffee near Cape Palliser (see above) and by the time we'd been served, two dozen of these chaps had arrived, all facing into the wind, like avian weather-vanes. They though we had chips (fries to you). Apparently they're very partial to chips.

Edited by spacecadet

6 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Yes, I don't think it was nesting- looked at me as I got a bit nearer then did that. Unbeatable pic, if not very ornithological.

I do have an ordinary one, though.

2AMX962.jpg

We stopped for a coffee near Cape Palliser (see above) and by the time we'd been served, two dozen of these chaps had arrived, all facing into the wind, like avian weather-vanes. They though we had chips (fries to you). Apparently they're very partial to chips.

When I first saw it, it looked like it was possibly sitting on eggs, too. Then I thought it was too early to have nests. Then I realized I have no clue when birds nest in that part of the world.

I love chips (fries) too, so I’m in tune with the birds. I like tater tots, too. And mashed potatoes (covered in gravy) and baked potatoes. I support Ireland! 😊

51 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

When I first saw it, it looked like it was possibly sitting on eggs, too. Then I thought it was too early to have nests. Then I realized I have no clue when birds nest in that part of the world.

I love chips (fries) too, so I’m in tune with the birds. I like tater tots, too. And mashed potatoes (covered in gravy) and baked potatoes. I support Ireland! 😊

Right- not too early- too late! 20th December- virtually midsummer's day in New Zealand.

You have to adjust more than your watch down there.

54 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

tater tots

I had to look those up. Mmm.

• Like 1

Two beautiful creatures most people would probably try to avoid when hiking in Central or South America…

Polistes carnifex, a very large vespid wasp sometimes referred to as the executioner wasp for its extremely painful sting
polistes-carnifex-and-nest-in-mexico-ves

Bothrops asper (juvenile) known as fer-de-lance, Nauyaca Real pit viper, Terciopelo or Barba Amarilla (depending on the country), a highly venomous pit viper species considered one of the most dangerous snakes because of its proximity to human habitations and its defensive temperament

bothrops-asper-juvenile-known-as-fer-de-

One would not want to disturb any of these two…

Edited by Olivier Parent
  • Like 2

Art Deco Daily Telegraph building, Napier, New Zealand.

2ANBADT.jpg

You're going to be seeing a few of these.

• Like 1

Napier was destroyed in an earthquake in 1931.

So, when they rebuilt, they did this......everywhere.

2ANBA04.jpg

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Napier was destroyed in an earthquake in 1931.

So, when they rebuilt, they did this......everywhere.

2ANBA04.jpg

You're bringing back memories of my visit in 2014/15... visited a lot of the same places.

If I was 30 years younger I'd emigrate there, but they won't have me now as I'm too old/not rich enough!

Phil