2020 January Favourity Uploads

Alan Beastall

3 hours ago, gvallee said:

<>

(to top it off, one had a tinnie on the roof!! so far from any water).

<>

Moral of the story: always expect the unexpected.

Said Noah to his neighbors..

😁

wim

9 hours ago, spacecadet said:

This is how they empty the toilets in Tongariro National Park in New Zealand. With a helicopter.

Mt Ruapehu volcano behind.

2APH6WJ.jpg

Here's said convenience.

nice capture... 

over $100,000 per year just to remove excrement.  one of the major issue that over tourism is bringing to the area...    

7 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

nice capture... 

over $100,000 per year just to remove excrement.  one of the major issue that over tourism is bringing to the area...    

I don't know about that.

We talked to the chap at the visitor centre- he was on the helicopter crew earlier!- that particular loo only needs emptying about 4 times a year and the job takes about 20 minutes. They don't want people burying waste- it doesn't decompose in the arid environment- so there are a comparatively large number of loos. The DOC consider it a small price to pay to keep the national parks pristine.

It certainly wasn't crowded even in midsummer; even our short "hike" takes a few hours so no-one does it casually.

Edited by spacecadet

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

I don't know about that.

We talked to the chap at the visitor centre- he was on the helicopter crew earlier!- that particular loo only needs emptying about 4 times a year and the job takes about 20 minutes. They don't want people burying waste- it doesn't decompose in the arid environment- so there are a comparatively large number of loos. The DOC consider it a small price to pay to keep the national parks pristine.

It certainly wasn't crowded even in midsummer; even our short "hike" takes a few hours so no-one does it casually.

i've seen the Crossing with over 4000 people in one day. Looking down from Ngauruhoe it looked like ants (and i saw lot's of people who were unprepared).  And yes the evacuation is the price to pay, but it is still a burden on tax payer.   

Not spamming but catching up with my uploads. I'll be hitting the road again after this post and won't have Internet for a few days (heading to a bush pub in the middle of nowhere, love those).

Sunrise at Arkaroola, South Australia

2ANMGKJ.jpg

The Goanna, Flinders Ranges, S.A.

2AP8KT4.jpg

The Old Ghan Railway, Parachilna, South Australia

2AP8KKX.jpg

Red-capped Robin

2AP8KX3.jpg

• Like 1

shinrin-yoku-hikers-walking-in-winter-in

Winter hikers in Rouge National Urban Park in Toronto.

When shooting I overexposed by 2/3 stops over the camera meter reading to place the snow in the upper quarter tones.

When shooting groups of people if they overlap with a sharp confusing background or overlap each other, their outlines become less readily readable. 3 people start to look like two people with 3 legs each or two heads. So I waited, and also changed shooting position, until people outlines separated visually.

In Adobe Camera Raw I remapped the sensor information to add a cold blue cast to the mid-tones. Applied vignette slight over correction to lighten corners more than usual. Raised the luminance and saturation of the yellows only. Cloned out a few soft dark bare spots on the snowy road that looked like so many out of focus birds. Left the footprints in.

Submitted 3 horizontals and 3 verticals, 2 of which had lots of sky/snow  to give room for type top and bottom.

Came back the next day for a second try, but the city ruined the location by plowing the road.

10 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Quite a few of these still left in New Zealand- they don't rot!

2APJK6W.jpg2AMBHHG.jpg

Nice !

That top one looks to be in fine fettle. Bottom one looks great too.

I wonder how they last so well over there ?  mild wet climate like GB, the old cars soon turn in to rust buckets !

There's a couple of these for sale on a classic car website at present, one for £8k, the other for £12,000.

It'll take a while to get one with Alamy sales tho..

• Love 1

14 hours ago, AlbertSnapper said:

Nice !

I wonder how they last so well over there ?  mild wet climate like GB, the old cars soon turn in to rust buckets !

You're right about the rainfall- I was surprised. Maybe because they don't have to salt the roads?

2 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

looks like the Wairarapa... google business... it is the Wairapapa  (then i thought, should have just gone to image, SC probably KWed it...)

Yes, Martinborough.

Sorry, you can't mouseover to see my captions because I copy the image from AIM. You can do that as soon as they upload- you don't have to wait for the update.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Yes, Martinborough.

Sorry, you can't mouseover to see my captions because I copy the image from AIM. You can do that as soon as they upload- you don't have to wait for the update.

you know i love the country,  so it's fun to play guessing games.   

• Love 1