April 2019 favourite uploads

I had planned a trip to Alabama (USA) before I broke my arm but went ahead with it, in spite of the left arm in a cast. Didn't shoot as much as I had hoped but glad I went.

usa-alabama-montgomery-national-memorial-for-justice-and-peace-a-museum-for-racial-injustice-and-lynchings-in-america-T2EM18.jpg

Above is the new Memorial for Peace and Justice in Montgomery, Alabama....these hanging metal blocks symbolize the pervasive lynchings that went on in America up thru the 1960s!  A horrible part of American history.

usa-montgomery-alabama-gun-chute-island-the-town-of-spectre-movie-set-for-the-tim-burton-film-called-big-fish-T2EM0D.jpg

Anyone who has seen the movie "Big Fish" will recognize this fantasy town of Spectre, near Montgomery, Alabama.  The set was never torn down and is now a tourist site along the Alabama River

• Like 2

Sad I can’t submit Stockimo news anymore, but at least I still have regular Stockimo. Sold 82 iPhone photos so far!

Tourists posing for Social Media selfies at the top of Diamond Head Crater Trail in Honolulu, Hawaii.

tourists-posing-for-social-media-selfies

6 hours ago, NYCat said:

So ridiculous to stop you from doing news....  You are an inspiration to iPhone shooters!

Paulette

I'm over it. I'll just submit any news photos as stock. When they take away the S App, then I'll be sad.

I had some fun trying my hand at some sports photography on a wet weekend at the exciting River Tay canoe slalom at Grandtully.

grandtully-perthshire-scotland-united-ki

Edited by Sally

This drama happened just outside my house (Cairns, Queensland, Australia)

Australian Scrub Python (Simalia Kinghorni) coiled around a Sulphur-crested Cockatoo (Cacatua galerita)

T37BPX.jpg

Taken in my garden

Fruit-piercing Moth Caterpillar (Eudocima salaminia)

T37BRN.jpg

• Love 1

14 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Honestly, Gen, Australia is scary!

Paulette

To make a sad story worse, after all the struggle, screeching and commotion, the cockatoo proved too big to be eaten. The python abandonned it!!

He did try. Don't know how he thought he could swallow the beak.

T37BR1.jpg

4 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

Curses.  I only qualify on two of those - though I'm working on some of the others. 😄

Best of luck with that. So many sins, so little time...

It kinda makes you wonder who actually does get through them Pearly Gates these days. 😛

4 hours ago, Alan Beastall said:

Honey Bee flying towards flowering heather.

Would have been a good image for Live news yesterday here, because today is National bee counting day (or hour actually) in Holland.

Not many Alamy clients in Holland though.

wim

34 minutes ago, Bill Brooks said:

Fantastic shot. I have been trying to take this shot for the last 20 years without success.

Yes, I'd like to be able to take these kind of shots too!

I'm guessing it takes the right lens (which I personally don't have), the right light/weather, quite a lot of patience and a bit of luck!

Matt and Bill,

All you need to do is to observe the subject, look for a pattern in their behaviour and to anticipate their next move. Look for a flight pattern of the bee and where it may hover before landing on the flower. With a bit of practice you can do it. I only spent about 1/2 Hr on this image and the one below. Nikon D850 / D5 with 105mm 2.8f macro lens set on auto focus which locks onto the bee quite quick. The only problem is the narrow depth of field shooting with this lens, you are only talking of a few mm., leading to parts of the bee being  in focus others not. If the eyes are sharp you are nearly there.

All the best. Alan

R00KC7.jpg

• Love 1