I am in a hole, advice needed

Mark Baigent

Question

Hi all

I have had a bum few months, five operations on one of my eyes, which now does not work. Now I have heart trouble that could keep me off work for months (assuming I live that long), I can't walk far or lift much.  
My finances have taken a hammering, I would really appreciate some ideas of how to earn some pennies from home, a bit of stock obviously (but out of ideas) and maybe some photoshop work of some type. But happy to try anything..

Feeling a bit lost and picked on to be honest 😞

Mark

Edited by Mark Baigent
typo
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear that you are going through such tough times. The only half idea I have is to buy a cheap light tent off your favourite auction/river themed website and just take pictures of everyday items that you have in your home be it a can of baked beans, a watch, whatever. That way you can take product stock without having to venture far. I have sold a few images taken in my cheap light tents (I have a smaller one and a larger one).

• Like 2

Wow. Very sorry to hear about your recent challenges. I hope things start to improve. Spring has arrived, so that should help lift your spirits.

I hesitate to suggest this since I'm not really a fan of ms, but you could convert more of your images to RF and upload a few hundred of them to one or several of those big instant-gratification stock agencies. It might bring in a trickle of cash. Given your situation, I'm sure that Alamy would understand.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1

I'm really sorry to hear of your troubles and hope things take a turn for the better soon.

It's hard to offer advice when you don't know much about the person you are addressing. I can draw on my own experience of having pneumonia a few years ago which laid me low for several months. I used the opportunity to do computer and home studio (well, the dining room) based work, including having a go at stop motion animation. I don't have any ideas for making a quick income (or I would be using them myself) but if you want something to generate income over a longer period while not over-reaching yourself, see what might be possible with the equipment you have. Some possibilities you might want to consider...

1. If you don't already do video, give it a try. You can video a lot of the daily things you do around the home as a matter of course. You'll need a couple of continuous lights, but cheap compact fluorescent lamp soft box sets can be found on ebay for under £50.

2. Try overhead flat stop motion animation, which seems to be quite fashionable at the moment. It's not too difficult to set up and execute, the hard part is thinking of subjects which can be offered as stock. 

3. If you have any kind of artistic skill you can produce computer based animations with programmes like Blender.  I managed a few animated clips while laid low and I have no artistic skill - but it took me ages to do them.

I'm happy to chip in more detail if any of this is appealing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mark Baigent said:

Hi all

I have had a bum few months, five operations on one of my eyes, which now does not work. Now I have heart trouble that could keep me off work for months (assuming I live that long), I can't walk far or lift much.  
My finances have taken a hammering, I would really appreciate some ideas of how to earn some pennies from home, a bit of stock obviously (but out of ideas) and maybe some photoshop work of some type. But happy to try anything..

Feeling a bit lost and picked on to be honest 😞

Mark

Hey Mark.  I am new at this and have no advice, but I saw your post and I feel for you man.  Hang in there. You will get through this.

I have been through the wringer myself, so I can empathize with you.  Lost an eye to a nail. Got crushed by a 2000 pound beam and spent six years in a back brace.  Got a superinfection in my foot (stinking nail again) that almost most cost my leg and my life and spent a year learning to walk again. And these are not to mention nine bouts of Malaria and a near terminal case of Tuberculosis, among other serious diseases I have endured.  I am still here in the fight and you will be too.  

As I was writing my story, I thought of something that you might try.  Have you tried Print on Demand?  I do a little of this; but since I have the artistic skill of a rock, I don't do very well at it.  I have an account on Zazzle.com and I use my photos to design products that people can order.  It is definitely something you could do while you recover, and if you have an artistic skill you could do quite well at it.  Here is some of my stuff to give you an idea, but of course, any person with an ounce of talent could do a million times better than me.  It's an idea that might work for you.

Coffee Mug.  Background picture: Black Sands Beach of Jaco, Costa Rica.  Sappy Text: ME

54517337_10218400694878235_2988247603843

Outdoor Throw Pillow. Background Image: Wild Aspen Fleabane Daisy 

54519886_10218400694118216_7907014846107

Edited by Johnhoward28
  • Love 1

I am very sorry to hear of your problems and in particular the eye which does not work now. Worst thing that can happen to a photographer is to lose sight even in one eye.

Fully sympathise with you.

Sorry I do not have the answer to your financial problem but some of the suggestions above could be worth trying.

Best wishes.

Allan

• Like 1

To add to and expand on the suggestions above.

Have you ever tried playing with vector software - ie illustrator from Adobe or Inkscape is free. 

For all the photographers claiming they do not have an artistic bone in their body I say rubbish.  You have to have some artistic ability to take saleable photos.  I suspect what is meant is the issue I run into - I can get an idea in my head but do not have the talent with a pencil/paintbrush to get it out of my head.  

That is where vector comes in - I had fiddled with it on and off for years, seeing it could do cool stuff but not understanding how and so getting frustrated.  Then while perusing videos about photography on YouTube I tripped over some really basic explanations of getting started with vectors, and especially a suggestion to look up https://bezier.method.ac/ to practice with.   Since then I have found vectors to be a brilliant way to relax creatively when photography was either not possible or I needed a break.  I now actually have 2 vector repeating patterns for sale on another site.

If you have not tried them look up some stuff on YouTube - try that game I linked to - and have a go.  If it works for you great if it doesnt hopefully you will have spent some time interested in finding out.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Johnhoward28 said:

Hey Mark.  I am new at this and have no advice, but I saw your post and I feel for you man.  Hang in there. You will get through this.

I have been through the wringer myself, 

Blimey, well that puts things into perspective!!

I hope you are well now?
Thanks for the ideas

One route worth exploring if you haven't already done so is PIP - Personal Independence Payment - which is additional to any benefits or earnings and is designed for adults 16 - 64 with permanent or long term disabilities.  A heart condition that prevents you from many day to day activities may well qualify for at least the lower rate.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Johnhoward28 said:

Lost an eye to a nail. Got crushed by a 2000 pound beam and spent six years in a back brace.  Got a superinfection in my foot (stinking nail again) that almost most cost my leg and my life and spent a year learning to walk again

Blimey.. how are you still alive? You really need to stay away from nails. Maybe buy a lottery ticket?

• Like 1

Can't offer any better advice than you've already had Mark, but I can offer words of encouragement on the medical side.

In January I had a heart attack and died four times in the ambulance, I owe my life to three paramedics and an amazing team at the Royal Devon and Exeter, who got a stent in place in record time.

Two months on from that  and this morning I mowed the lawns before digging out and replanting several (large) hydrangeas. Hopefully, you'll get your treatment soon, and feel as well as I now do, which frankly, is better than pre-heart attack. They really can work wonders these days....

🙂

Edited by TeeCee
  • Love 4
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

I suspect what is meant is the issue I run into - I can get an idea in my head but do not have the talent with a pencil/paintbrush to get it out of my head.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeeCee said:

Can't offer any better advice than you've already had Mark, but I can offer words of encouragement on the medical side.

In January I had a heart attack and died four times in the ambulance, I owe my life to three paramedics and an amazing team at the Royal Devon and Exeter, who got a stent in place in record time.

Two months on from that  and this morning I mowed the lawns before digging out and replanting several (large) hydrangeas. Hopefully, you'll get your treatment soon, and feel as well as I now do, which frankly, is better than pre-heart attack. They really can work wonders these days....

🙂

Thanks Tracey 🙂

I currently have ten stents and I am going for the record 🙂

• Love 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

Blimey.. how are you still alive? You really need to stay away from nails. Maybe buy a lottery ticket?

How am I alive?  I would have to say that God is not done with me yet, because I should not be here.  As far as staying away from nails, why do you think I got out of construction and trying things like Stock photography. LOL!

• Like 1

A word of encouragement about your heart. A friend of mine had a massive heart attack when he was in his 50s. His wife was told to put their affairs together because he wasn't going to make it. He is now 90 years old. Much life lies ahead...

Paulette

• Love 2
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Mark Baigent said:

Thanks Tracey 🙂

I currently have ten stents and I am going for the record 🙂

Good luck with the plumbing, but have you actually still got any of your own blood vessels at all??

54 minutes ago, NYCat said:

His wife was told to put their affairs together because he wasn't going to make it. He is now 90 years old. Much life lies ahead...

Paulette

I hope she made it....

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

Mark! John! My goodness things can go very wrong sometimes.

Ten stents, Mark? I have (only) seven, and I can say that I've not been ill at all during this past year. I hope some of the very clever people here can come up with a few helpful ideas. 

Edo

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Ten stents, Mark? I have (only) seven, and I can say that I've not been ill at all during this past year. I hope some of the very clever people here can come up with a few helpful ideas. 

Edo

Hiya, I had my stents in 2004, now they tell me that they don't last for ever 😞

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Edo

Maybe we all should have our home burn, leave our country, try to settle in a new country when we don’t know the language. Maybe that adrenaline cleans the pipes out. 😁

• Like 1

For some extra money.....are you in a position to do a bit of bed & breakfast ? ..with spring here people tend to travel more. If you have a spare room, it could help. You wouldn't have to do much more other than what you'd do for yourself anyway (bedmaking/food/cleaning).

Good luck.

• Love 1

9 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Maybe we all should have our home burn, leave our country, try to settle in a new country when we don’t know the language. Maybe that adrenaline cleans the pipes out. 😁

That does sound like a totally crazy idea, Betty. I do see from Mark, John, and you that I'm not the only human who has troubles. 

2 hours ago, David Pimborough said:

Also I'd take some of your more generic shots and change them to RF and stick them on microstock after removing logos or brands which opens up the commercial sales.

But if you can't then just submit them as editorial

You'll probably baulk at the low rates but frequency will tend to counter that.

Thanks David, I think that I will be looking at the micro option

I did not recognise the photo below, the "oh it's mine" doh

2 hours ago, David Pimborough said:

Some obvious candidates would be

Woman working with a calculator - Stock Image

Hi Mark, like others here I feel sympathy for what you're going through. As a young guy traipsing around in a septuagenarian body, I can relate. It's like driving a fine old automobile: in the shop a lot.

As to what to do with your time, I notice you've done a lot of excellent people shots. Are you still set up for that? Some stock shooters like Ralf Cornesse (stockfour.com) do that kind of work almost exclusively and appear to be quite successful with it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

That does sound like a totally crazy idea, Betty. I do see from Mark, John, and you that I'm not the only human who has troubles. 

True. But reading this, makes me realize mine are insignificant in comparison.

I'm facing some tests next month that will tell me if I need a stint, and in July I’ll see a neurosurgeon about the huge curvature that has developed at the bottom of my spine.  The move, and all involved with it from painting, moving heavy ladders, packing, lifting boxes, was not kind to my ailing spine.

6 hours ago, Mark Baigent said:

... I think that I will be looking at the micro option

Or, contrary to what I suggested above (I'm good at contradicting myself), create a different collection for micros -- i.e. don't submit the same images that you have on Alamy. That might be  better idea because you can leave you collection here as exclusive and take advantage of the 50% commission.  I think that is what I would do these days if I were so inclined.

• Like 1