I am in a hole, advice needed

Mark Baigent

Question

Hi all

I have had a bum few months, five operations on one of my eyes, which now does not work. Now I have heart trouble that could keep me off work for months (assuming I live that long), I can't walk far or lift much.  
My finances have taken a hammering, I would really appreciate some ideas of how to earn some pennies from home, a bit of stock obviously (but out of ideas) and maybe some photoshop work of some type. But happy to try anything..

Feeling a bit lost and picked on to be honest 😞

Mark

9 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Maybe we all should have our home burn, leave our country, try to settle in a new country when we don’t know the language. Maybe that adrenaline cleans the pipes out. 😁

That does sound like a totally crazy idea, Betty. I do see from Mark, John, and you that I'm not the only human who has troubles. 

2 hours ago, David Pimborough said:

Also I'd take some of your more generic shots and change them to RF and stick them on microstock after removing logos or brands which opens up the commercial sales.

But if you can't then just submit them as editorial

You'll probably baulk at the low rates but frequency will tend to counter that.

Thanks David, I think that I will be looking at the micro option

I did not recognise the photo below, the "oh it's mine" doh

2 hours ago, David Pimborough said:

Some obvious candidates would be

Woman working with a calculator - Stock Image

Hi Mark, like others here I feel sympathy for what you're going through. As a young guy traipsing around in a septuagenarian body, I can relate. It's like driving a fine old automobile: in the shop a lot.

As to what to do with your time, I notice you've done a lot of excellent people shots. Are you still set up for that? Some stock shooters like Ralf Cornesse (stockfour.com) do that kind of work almost exclusively and appear to be quite successful with it.

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

That does sound like a totally crazy idea, Betty. I do see from Mark, John, and you that I'm not the only human who has troubles. 

True. But reading this, makes me realize mine are insignificant in comparison.

I'm facing some tests next month that will tell me if I need a stint, and in July I’ll see a neurosurgeon about the huge curvature that has developed at the bottom of my spine.  The move, and all involved with it from painting, moving heavy ladders, packing, lifting boxes, was not kind to my ailing spine.

6 hours ago, Mark Baigent said:

... I think that I will be looking at the micro option

Or, contrary to what I suggested above (I'm good at contradicting myself), create a different collection for micros -- i.e. don't submit the same images that you have on Alamy. That might be  better idea because you can leave you collection here as exclusive and take advantage of the 50% commission.  I think that is what I would do these days if I were so inclined.

8 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

We all have troubles / challenges, but different ones, also crazy ideas like pursuing stock photography. 😁

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I'm facing some tests next month that will tell me if I need a stint, and in July I’ll see a neurosurgeon about the huge curvature that has developed at the bottom of my spine.  The move, and all involved with it from painting, moving heavy ladders, packing, lifting boxes, was not kind to my ailing spine.

Stents are a breeze, I would much rather have stents than go to the dentist!

Good luck with your back.

6 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

True. But reading this, makes me realize mine are insignificant in comparison.

Here we think a stint is something else entirely. 😉

wim

Archived