How was your September 2018?

12 hours ago, Marb said:

One sale per week is a tad optimistic with just over 2000 photos. More like 1 per month if you are lucky. Sorry but just going off my experience and hard work.

Have a look at Wim's portfolio and his sales numbers. 

2 hours ago, Colin Woods said:

Hmm 25 for a disappointing 724.

Maybe not the best example at the moment.

Thanks anyway!

wim

7 hours ago, Colin Woods said:

Interesting subject matter with newspapers, books and other items. Good for reference saless etc. Something I haven't really thought of. 

22 hours ago, Rico said:

You could be right about the negative impact. It looks like most of the photos posted here by members  have European content.

This post and Gina Kelly's made me wonder, so I did a little calculating.

Comparing European with American subjects (leaving out Asian subjects and plants/tabletop that could have been shot anywhere):

Europe accounts for 56% of my collection, 61% of sales and 20% of gross income.

USA accounts for 25% of my collection, 27% of sales and 74% of gross income.

One USA photo sold for an usually high amount (for me), twice.

Taking those two sales to one buyer out of the equation, European subjects account for 56% of gross income and USA for 28%,

proportional to the number of images from each continent in my collection.

In other words, I can see no particular advantage to shooting European subjects versus American.

I have almost nothing shot in Britain and do not participate in the UK Newspaper Scheme, so can't comment on that.

1 hour ago, DDoug said:

Taking those two sales to one buyer out of the equation, European subjects account for 56% of gross income and USA for 28%,

proportional to the number of images from each continent in my collection.

In other words, I can see no particular advantage to shooting European subjects versus American.

I have almost nothing shot in Britain and do not participate in the UK Newspaper Scheme, so can't comment on that.

Thanks for your detailed reply:)

I was looking at the images from the "one per day" and "found any" threads. To me anyway, the majority of photos seem to be from the UK and Europe.

Totally unscientific yes,  but that's just my impression.

5 hours ago, Rico said:

I was looking at the images from the "one per day" and "found any" threads. To me anyway, the majority of photos seem to be from the UK and Europe.

It's maybe 'other man's grass' - I seem to have formed the impression that many of the large value sales are of US content, and indeed my biggest sale by far was one of my few US subjects.

35 minutes ago, funkyworm said:

Agree to a certain extent. My successful trips to the UK in the past years have tended to have a certain event which I have covered which have cricked up the numbers.  Without that then its very hit and miss.

In this regard I was recently discussing success rates of my more recent travel photography trips with Wim. Again if I can combine the trip with an event all the better but it is noticeable some trips are selling a lot better than others. One trip where I am barely getting off the mark was to Thailand, Cambodia and (mostly) Vietnam. It could be that I took rubbish images, but one of the main reasons for the lack of success I believe is that the Vietnamese are well educated, extremely tech savvy, and most especially have a very good command of English. As such they can take part in English language markets very easily and are happier with micro payments because the money goes further. 

The subject of language is really one which the "anglo's" neglect.

The UK is a relatively small, densely population region with oodles of picturesque villages, misty landscapes, crumbling castles, pubs with odd names, eccentric characters, etc. All of which make wonderful subjects for photography.  Consequently, Alamy is overflowing with this type of imagery, much of which is very good. I imagine that the competition for these kinds of images must be really stiff.

I don't know what it is about us Anglo-Saxons. We just aren't very good at languages. I count myself lucky, being able to get by (sort of) in Spanish and French. Dutch or Vietnamese? Forget it. 

3 hours ago, funkyworm said:

..........One trip where I am barely getting off the mark was to Thailand, Cambodia and (mostly) Vietnam.

Agreed. I live here (Thailand) and find demand very low. I've also turned to shooting IN rather than OF with a little more success.

On 10/2/2018 at 17:10, Gina Kelly said:

7 sales for $290 gross. With almost 9,000 images I feel like I should be doing better but perhaps what I'm shooting just isn't what is being sought? I've often wondered if being in the US has a negative impact, too.

Nah.

Maybe just throw in some keywords in funny UK-English (for images that could apply to UK taste of course).

The opposite is true also, native UK-English speakers often won't include US-English because it's wrong. (And maybe shoot British stuff that Americans like.)

A bit like US car makers (or US presidents) complaining the Japanese won't buy their cars without offering a right hand drive.

wim

On 10/3/2018 at 21:43, Cryptoprocta said:

It's maybe 'other man's grass' - I seem to have formed the impression that many of the large value sales are of US content, and indeed my biggest sale by far was one of my few US subjects.

Two of my highest value leases were of subjects taken in Scotland, both  very unexpected (and very welcome) !

However my small collection from the USA generally punches above its weight. The fees are generally higher, although, this month, one was savaged by the NU scheme....

On 10/3/2018 at 09:09, Rico said:

I have alot of content from both...so far, and very small sample...4 of 5 my are specific to Calgary/Banff...only 1 from Europe.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived