the licence purchased does not meet the Govt.uk own standards for purchase of digital images on more than 1 count but it comes close to their main criteria- free if possible.

Google image copyright standards for Gov.uk-Inside Gov.uk.

Regen

1 hour ago, Thyrsis said:

The image of ours that was mistakenly used was Rights Managed. What sort of license are Novel use sold under?

" Sell your images under unique and novel schemes
Our sales teams are always looking for new ways to evolve our business, whether that’s with the next big idea or a tailored solution for a key client. The images in the novel use pool give our sales teams the freedom to explore these schemes, prototypes and trials, with a variety of price points and licenses. "

https://www.alamy.com/contributor/how-to-sell-images/additional-revenue-options

1 hour ago, Cryptoprocta said:

" Sell your images under unique and novel schemes
Our sales teams are always looking for new ways to evolve our business, whether that’s with the next big idea or a tailored solution for a key client. The images in the novel use pool give our sales teams the freedom to explore these schemes, prototypes and trials, with a variety of price points and licenses. "

https://www.alamy.com/contributor/how-to-sell-images/additional-revenue-options

There’s no mention of license type though.

On your sales page the license type is usually stated as rights managed or royalty free.

For a novel use sale it gives the license type as ‘novel use’. What does that mean?

It worries me that a RM image of ours has been sold under a different license, without our permission.

1 hour ago, Thyrsis said:

There’s no mention of license type though.

On your sales page the license type is usually stated as rights managed or royalty free.

For a novel use sale it gives the license type as ‘novel use’. What does that mean?

It worries me that a RM image of ours has been sold under a different license, without our permission.

That quote says NU allows the sales team to explore a "variety of licences".

Anyway, as you know, the boundary between RM and RF is increasingly blurred on Alamy. For a long time, RF files can be bought with non-excusive RM licences, and recently more of us are seeing RM sales with wide uses and unlimited duration, but not for higher prices.

On 14/07/2018 at 19:26, Bill Brooks said:

Talk is cheap. Some members of this forum have been talking for years about not uploading, but surprise, surprise, keep on uploading.

I expect most that stop uploading don't talk about it on this forum. 

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I'm having a break at the moment. I expect I will resume uploading when I feel like it - maybe when the weather is less hot and dry and I am happy to spend more time indoors.

Having a break, trying something else, doing what you feel like, is probably healthy.

This whole thing can verge on becoming obsessive sometimes. And when there is a shocker such as Novel Use for a UK government magazine it is something of a knock-back for everybody and probably overall positive for Alamy to get some negative feedback about it from their contributors.  

After all, spending your time creating and uploading images to stock photo sites has never been compulsory :) Perhaps it is no bad thing for the agencies to be reminded of that now and again?

Always a good idea, not just for one's own sanity but to refresh one's photography from time to time too. Over the years, what I call my 'personal', self-initiated photographic projects, (not stock as here), planned and undertaken out of my own interests and research, have way overtaken, in terms of income any other 'commercial' work that I did. So, I have the happy position where 90% of my (very good) income is derived from this. Sales of prints and books from the galleries that deal in my work, private print sales to serious collectors and sponsorship, public and private, are all healthy. Of course I have to keep initiating projects and exhibitions etc. but as I have more ideas and plans that I have time left on this earth to complete them, that's not a problem. Of course, I also have the kind of work,  past and current,  that serious collectors wish to buy but I can honestly say that I have never initiated any project based on print sales potential. They all have been truly 'my own'. In the very early years of course, (a long time ago),  it meant I had to make certain sacrifices to produce this work, taking 'time out' from commissioned, directly paid work to devote to my projects. However, even this was good because it took you away from the grindstone for a bit and you came back a bit refreshed an invigorated. Nowadays I am permanently refreshed and invigorated! 

Pete Davis

http://www.pete-davis-photography.com/

http://peteslandscape.blogspot.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Usage: NU Editorial website and app multiple use, Editorial website and app multiple use
Media: Editorial website and app multiple use
Industry sector: Travel & tourism
Image Size: Any size
Start: 30 July 2018
Duration: In perpetuity

Online and app, any size, IN PERPETUITY. How can this possibly be 'novel use'? What is going on?

Just noticed I have received my first, of hopefully not too many, of these. 

Shot of Michael Gove MP at a cattle market.

Didn’t  think I would be able to sink below my usual pathetic fee from the Sun newspaper but the government has managed to get the image for half the distributor fee and a better licence...................

Usage: Novel Use deal, Magazine, print and online, single use, any size inside, 250,000 circulation, UK, Magazine, print and online, single use, any size inside, 250,000 circulation, UK 
Media: Magazine - print, digital and electronic
Industry sector: Government (local, regional, national)
Print run: up to 250,000
Start: 24 July 2018
End: 24 July 2023

Roger

7 hours ago, Phil Robinson said:

Usage: NU Editorial website and app multiple use, Editorial website and app multiple use

Online and app, any size, IN PERPETUITY. How can this possibly be 'novel use'? What is going on?

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/france/articles/the-best-hostels-in-nice/

A link to the use. How can that possible be 'novel use'?

1 hour ago, Phil Robinson said:

Looking through the website they don't tend to pay very often for images. Most images seem to come from the hotel / bar / restaurant they are showing with a good helping from Flickr ( almost certainly free). As such I cannot see how it is even worth Alamys time to supply this outfit.

49 minutes ago, BobD said:

Looking through the website they don't tend to pay very often for images. Most images seem to come from the hotel / bar / restaurant they are showing with a good helping from Flickr ( almost certainly free). As such I cannot see how it is even worth Alamys time to supply this outfit.

It would be worth it if Alamy charged them the normal price for website use. 

This is a website with 18 million visitors which is about to launch an online travel agency.

I have emailed Alamy asking for an explanation.

I am fully expecting the answer "you can opt out in April"

1 hour ago, Phil Robinson said:

This is a website with 18 million visitors which is about to launch an online travel agency.

Put it in your diary. :mellow:

13 hours ago, Phil Robinson said:

Got a response, not an answer.

On 7/31/2018 at 13:22, RogerG said:

Just noticed I have received my first, of hopefully not too many, of these. 

Shot of Michael Gove MP at a cattle market.

Didn’t  think I would be able to sink below my usual pathetic fee from the Sun newspaper but the government has managed to get the image for half the distributor fee and a better licence...................

Usage: Novel Use deal, Magazine, print and online, single use, any size inside, 250,000 circulation, UK, Magazine, print and online, single use, any size inside, 250,000 circulation, UK 
Media: Magazine - print, digital and electronic
Industry sector: Government (local, regional, national)
Print run: up to 250,000
Start: 24 July 2018
End: 24 July 2023

Roger

I know someone who recently had one of these "Novel" sales, I was Truly Shocked at the amount! Especially considering it could be a double page spread.

I'd wager that the Chief Exec of whichever bit of government this relates to, isn't on a "Novel" Chief Executive Salary!

Picture attached as illustration for fee:
chips fast food diet potato shop tray portion fat fatty foods fork ketchup portions size large obesity obese fat Stock Photo

21 hours ago, Phil Robinson said:

It's not. Alamy doesn't care as much for the contributor as their fans would have you think.

"Our sales teams are always looking for new and innovative ways to evolve our business, whether that’s with the next big idea or a tailored solution for a key client. The images in the novel use pool give them the freedom to explore these schemes, prototypes and trials, with a variety of price points and licenses.

70% of our contributors are opted in to the novel use scheme."

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎31‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 09:42, Phil Robinson said:

I've now got one of these. I accept NU for what it is, but for use in the Industry sector of Travel and tourism and all that goes with it, is someone here having a laugh? I am an elder statesman, if you like, in this business and this is an insult to my professionalism. If a true market price was paid for this work I would have no complaint, or even to the original concept of NU on it's own, but to almost give it away.......especially when NU and the whole sales scenario appears to just not fit. 

Jim :wub:

3 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Just checked my sales for the last year and can't see any NU at all. Am opted in. 

Can't be a  huge issue.

That's the thing. They must have made a decision recently to use NU to 'win' sales that they might otherwise have lost out on had they been offered at the correct licence value, hence this spate of NU reports.

Archived