Would you put your laptop computer or camera in the luggage hold on a flight?

I found this article on the BBC website which suggests that the US are introducing a ban on any gadgets bigger than a mobile phone being allowed in the cabin on flights belonging to some airlines. I assume a camera would fall into this category.

The article suggets the UK could follow with their own rules:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39343971

From what I read it only affects flights from certain countries.  Whether camera gear would eventually be included, I don't know.  

I went to Calgary not too long after 9/11 and had to turn my laptop on at security before it was allowed through.  When I went to Africa a few years ago, I didn't have to do that, but did have to go through a full body scan in Amsterdam.

The day may come when we have to fly naked.  :D

Jill

While it is true that it only effects flights from certain countries, that country might not be your final/original destination. For example, if you fly Emirates and are going to The Philippines, you would probably change at Dubai or Abu Dhabi so would likely be effected.

Cameras are on the list by the way.. articles updated:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39343971

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39336518

And Jill, if flying naked is 'your thing' then options are available:

https://www.scoopwhoop.com/Weirdest-Airlines-In-The-World/   :)

I don't understand how putting devices in the hold will solve this problem.

Also, lithium batteries can be unstable. What happens if one goes into meltdown down in the hold?

No doubt cameras will eventually be banned from cabins as well.

Flying is no fun these days, clothed or naked. B)

From what I read it only affects flights from certain countries.  Whether camera gear would eventually be included, I don't know.  

I went to Calgary not too long after 9/11 and had to turn my laptop on at security before it was allowed through.  When I went to Africa a few years ago, I didn't have to do that, but did have to go through a full body scan in Amsterdam.

The day may come when we have to fly naked.  :D

Jill

From what I've heard it's only certain airlines going to certain countries. No word as to whether this will be permanent or temporary.

Anyone who believes they may be affected by this should probably choose their airline accordingly.

They'll have to choose their country carefully, that's the problem.

A few days after 11/9, we arrived late at Montpellier and were rushed to the flight, bypassing security, and put inBA  business class for speed where of course we got the appropriate lunch. Happy days.

I managed to avoid flying for 2 1/2 years until recently and I was very pleased about it. Most recently I hadn't put my toiletries in the proper size bag so the goon emptied them out on the table and made me put them in a smaller one. The point of the rule is presumably to limit the size of the contents, not the size of the bag, unless polythene has become lethal in quantities over 128 square inches. Twit.

Only if they stop throwing luggage from 6 meters high down on the tarmac; throwing it from 5 meters into the trolley; missing it; driving over it; opening it; nicking stuff; losing it; only paying $500 for $15,000 worth of kit. And so on and so forth.

What are they thinking?

wim

edit: before you ask: yes has all happened to me - and more.

Don't fly.

Allan

Relatively easy to do if you live in the compact UK with easy access to Europe (for now, anyway). Not so simple over here in the wide-open spaces. I don't fly much these days. When I do, I try to book nonstop flights. Going through US airports can also be a real hassle (and it only promises to get worse), so I try to avoid them if possible. If I had my druthers, I'd travel by donkey cart.

Don't fly.

Allan

Relatively easy to do if you live in the compact UK with easy access to Europe (for now, anyway). Not so simple over here in the wide-open spaces. I don't fly much these days. When I do, I try to book nonstop flights. Going through US airports can also be a real hassle (and it only promises to get worse), so I try to avoid them if possible. If I had my druthers, I'd travel by donkey cart.

You are joking :) - easy access if you want to go to Belgium, Holland or northern France maybe. A land trip from England to Finland, Greece, southern Spain, Bulgaria would take days. To the Canary Islands, around a week. And very, very expensive. It's around £50 to fly to the Canary Islands, by road it would cost well over £1000 one way.

Don't fly.

Allan

You are joking :) - easy access if you want to go to Belgium, Holland or northern France maybe. A land trip from England to Finland, Greece, southern Spain, Bulgaria would take days. To the Canary Islands, around a week. And very, very expensive. It's around £50 to fly to the Canary Islands, by road it would cost well over £1000 one way.

I guess it shows that I don't travel in Europe. I should have qualified my statement with "Western Europe" (i.e. the nearby countries that you mentioned).

An overland trip from Vancouver to Iqaluit would also get very expensive indeed and require numerous forms of transportation. B)

More convenient and cheaper to endure the humiliation and fly long distances.

Hate to say it, but one doesn't know what to believe about anything that originates in the U.S. these days. Wild goose-chases seem to be the order of the day.

Yeah.. but the British government has put a ban in place too... so this isn't just coming out of the US.

Hate to say it, but one doesn't know what to believe about anything that originates in the U.S. these days. Wild goose-chases seem to be the order of the day.

Yeah.. but the British government has put a ban in place too... so this isn't just coming out of the US.

Yes, but the UK is reportedly following the US's lead.

My camera gear simply stays with me. Period.

No way it gets thrown in with checked luggage.

I check with airline beforehand for their rules

It's not about flying from one European country to another, or even flying from the US to Europe. It's specifically directed towards several majority Muslim Nations and their airlines. The Washington Post speculates it may have more to do with business and subsidies than security, at least for those of us in the US. Why the UK is participating in this is anyone's guess.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2017/03/21/trump-wont-allow-you-to-use-ipads-or-laptops-on-certain-airlines-heres-the-underlying-story/?tid=sm_fb&utm_term=.deef182680b7

It's not about flying from one European country to another, or even flying from the US to Europe. It's specifically directed towards several majority Muslim Nations and their airlines. The Washington Post speculates it may have more to do with business and subsidies than security, at least for those of us in the US. Why the UK is participating in this is anyone's guess.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2017/03/21/trump-wont-allow-you-to-use-ipads-or-laptops-on-certain-airlines-heres-the-underlying-story/?tid=sm_fb&utm_term=.deef182680b7

Who the heck knows what`s really going on. You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried. All we can do is look on in amazement.

Sounds like yet another ill-conceived, confusing mess-in-the-making to me.

Who the heck knows what`s really going on. You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried. All we can do is look on in amazement.

Sounds like yet another ill-conceived, confusing mess-in-the-making to me.

Every day is an ill-conceived, confusing mess-in-the-making south of the 49th Parallel.

fD

A bomb, controlled either by a timing device, or from a passenger's phone, and placed in the hold, seems the obvious way to bring down a plane. Wrapping the thing in a sealed plastic container will, presumably, foil the sniffer dogs.

We have had to unpack our hand luggage as the security people have detected a false positive on a few occasions, but I've no evidence of our hold cases ever being tampered with. I wonder just how rigorous the hold luggage inspection is?

Not clear to me how these restrictions on hand luggage are going to help.

Happy to report that I have no plans to get airborne in the near future, they unreasonably refuse to carry my car and caravan....

Archived