Alamy Image Manager is live!

Just received an email advising of the above. Considering I've been using it for 3 months + I figure someone is a little late to the party!

Ditto! And the link is to a blog written in January!  :wacko:

I was hoping that they might be advising of some bug fixes..... B)

Phil

I did not know there were rumors of the opposite?

;-)

Anyway this may well indicate that everybody now has gone over. Even last week some people were migrating.

Or it could mean the trial period is over and we should all test it again.

In any case I was able to insert these keywords tags today:

The Hague Netherlands Parliament buildings (5 words)

Office of the Dutch Prime Minister (6 words)

So I got bold and added:

The Little Tower Office of the Dutch Prime Minister (9 words)

Wow! But will it still love me tomorrow?

wim

I received the email too and it was targeted as I was mentioned by name and told how many images I had on sale. Still uploading.

Allan

I received the email too and it was targeted as I was mentioned by name and told how many images I had on sale. Still uploading.

Allan

That doesn't mean it was targeted.

A single application probably just looped through every distributor in alamy's database and essentially did a mail merge.

Allan

That doesn't mean it was targeted.

A single application probably just looped through every distributor in alamy's database and essentially did a mail merge.

Matt, quit showing off those sharp brains. ;)

I think the interesting Alamy info here is “If you have this information embedded within your images then your images will go on sale with your default pseudonym and license type once they've passed through QC - you won't need to do anything further”.

This encourages, new to Alamy, professional photographers or other stock libraries, who have large collections of good photography already captioned/keyworded to industry standards. They do not need to obsessively fuss with BHZ, supertags, tags, order of tags, duplication of tags, placement in the search order, personal use, prices, RM or RF, phases of the moon, etc.

No substitute for good photography. Minimal work in image manager, so you can spend more time making better images. Good news.

I noticed it said, "Your license default is set to RF", and since I have no releases I selected everything and changed them all to RM.

I'm sure all my photos were RM previously!

Alan

I noticed it said, "Your license default is set to RF", and since I have no releases I selected everything and changed them all to RM.

I'm sure all my photos were RM previously!

Alan

None of your photos should have been automatically changed. "Your license default is set to RF" or "Your license default is set to RM" in the mail just states what you set as default for new images.

;-)

Anyway this may well indicate that everybody now has gone over. Even last week some people were migrating.

So I got bold and added:

wim

Yes, a test suggests that the character limit is now 150 with no word limit. Shame it's not retroactive to facilitate deleting excess legacy keywords.

;-)

So I got bold and added:

wim

Yes, a test suggests that the character limit is now 150 with no word limit. Shame it's not retroactive to facilitate deleting excess legacy keywords.

Again no feedback.

So just trial and error:

Breaking off after 19 words / 66 char.

Breaking off after 10 words / 71 char.

Not breaking off after 9 words / 89 char.

Breaking off after 10 words / 98 char.

Not breaking off after 13 words/ 135 char ?????

So breaking off after 10 words / 98 char. But not after 13 words/ 135 char.???

I give up

wim

edit:

I could not give up, but I'm unable to replicate the 13 words/135 char one. Maybe it was just teasing me.

Now the limit seems to be 10 word / 149 char, when pasted.

So it's probably 10 word / 150 char, if you just type it in.

I tried to make it a supertag, but it would not let me. That could however be because that image already had 26 supertags.

wim

I think the interesting Alamy info here is “If you have this information embedded within your images then your images will go on sale with your default pseudonym and license type once they've passed through QC - you won't need to do anything further”.

This encourages, new to Alamy, professional photographers or other stock libraries, who have large collections of good photography already captioned/keyworded to industry standards. They do not need to obsessively fuss with BHZ, supertags, tags, order of tags, duplication of tags, placement in the search order, personal use, prices, RM or RF, phases of the moon, etc.

No substitute for good photography. Minimal work in image manager, so you can spend more time making better images. Good news.

To take full advantage of this however, I wonder if it's better (safer) to set your default license to RM?

Suppose you upload an image that required model/property releases to be sold commercially... but you don't have the releases. If your default license is RF and you upload this image keyworded and captioned, then there is a chance that it will go on sale and be sold before you get the chance to log into Alamy IM and tick the 'editorial only' box. You can always change the license form RM to RF when you then get chance.

I guess the alternative approach is not to caption images that you know will need to be sold for editorial use only to prevent them going straight on sale.

I don't want my images to go LIVE automatically as soon as they pass QC. Is there a way to disable this (annoying) new feature?

Marc

Yes.. caption and/or keyword (or both) the images after QC and not before upload.

Mmmm ... yes, you're right, but that's not the answer for me. I keyword images in advance so I don't have to do it all again should I ever upload them to another library. 

What has happened to allocating number of people, property, etc and all those questions? What happens if you have a mixed bag of RF and Licensed images to upload?

I guess I can just let the images go live and then tinker with them in IM afterwards? Can you change an image from Licensed to RF? Has anybody actually tried that in the new IM?

Marc

I don't want my images to go LIVE automatically as soon as they pass QC. Is there a way to disable this (annoying) new feature?

Marc

Same here. Arterra is a small agency, so my pseudonyms are the names of the different Arterra photographers. My default pseudo is my name though. I don't want images to go live automatically with the wrong photographer's name.  

Cheers,

Philippe

If you upload images without captions (Descriptions), they won't go live automatically after QC.  

It is a pain but it seems that we have no choice.  I made the query regarding this to Member Service and it was their reply.

Sung

Am I the only one not to get this email? I never get the emails that others mention. Everyone talked about the contract change email last year but I never received it. I think there was another one others received quite recently too that I didn't get. Is it just me?

As for changes to the IM, I'm looking forward to checking that out when I'm home. :)

Geoff.

Presumably, you've checked your spam folder.

It might be worth checking with Alamy because for some reason, I had stopped receiving the QC e-mails. It was fixed after a couple of attempts. Not sure what the problem was.

Gen

Archived