Primary and Secondary categories?

Anyone know if there are any published criteria regarding what should/shouldn't go in/under each category heading? I find some of them are a little hard to fathom and need a Dummies Guide!

Architecture and interiors (does this mean anything with a building in it or is is specifically an architectural shot?)

Archive or historical (what exactly constitutes archive / historical?)

Business (is this that different from industry?)

Industry and agriculture (primary, secondary, tertiary type industries? e.g. farming, shipbuilding, banking etc?)

Landscapes (Cityscapes, too?)

Lifestyle (Struggle with this one - it is so broad!)

Travel (sounds straightforward but is it?)

Thx in advance. John

I'm struggling with my hiking images.  Is it SPORT or LIFESTYLE or even TRAVEL?  None seem right but those are the closest.

Pearl

I see 'Lifestyle' as a bit of a 'catch all' category. I'd certainly put an image in there if I couldn't place it elsewhere.

Not using "Categories" until alamy says it is now searchable. Then I need to think about it.

Allan

They may not be "searchable", but Alamy offers numerous "categories" of images to buyers on its homepage if you scroll down. Many of these categories aren't even present as options in the new MI (why doesn't that surprise me?). How has Alamy been deciding which categories to put images in to date? Manual review, clever keyword/tag selection?

I'm struggling with it no end. 

Just been to the carnival. It's definitely celebrations, but life events? A life event? That would be granny's 80th birthday. Or does it mean live events?

I also shoot lots of theatre/dance etc. But it isn't just art. It's more commonly known as "culture".

And if I shoot a portrait, is that "lifestyle". 

I feel so dumb. 

Not using "Categories" until alamy says it is now searchable. Then I need to think about it.

Allan

They may not be "searchable", but Alamy offers numerous "categories" of images to buyers on its homepage if you scroll down. Many of these categories aren't even present as options in the new MI (why doesn't that surprise me?). How has Alamy been deciding which categories to put images in to date? Manual review, clever keyword/tag selection?

Yes I do not know how Alamy sort images into categories either but it seems they want to put the onus on the contributor in the future.

Allan

Just been to the carnival. It's definitely celebrations, but life events? A life event? That would be granny's 80th birthday. Or does it mean live events?

I also shoot lots of theatre/dance etc. But it isn't just art. It's more commonly known as "culture".

I feel so dumb. 

Join the big club. ;)

Allan

Sometimes I use both categories. Say a person on the beach of a tropical island, I may list as "travel" "lifestyle" or the other way around.

What's confusing is travel means to me when I'm away on vacation. Yet my city has a few places that someone from another place might list as "travel". The bombing memorial, the Cowboy Hall of Fame, for instance.

So those places, do I ignore as travel because they are local to me, or list as travel because they are an attraction to those from away?

Betty

Unless an image obviously and neatly fits into one or two categories, I don't bother with the "categories" options.

Travel is indeed a tough one. I think of it more in terms of tourism -- if the subject is something well-known that a tourist would likely be interested in seeing, then I include the image in the "travel" category.

Personally, though, I think that assigning categories is best left to Alamy since they no doubt have a better idea of what types of images they want to market as travel, architecture, business, etc. than we do. Too many cooks spoil the broth, as the old saying goes.

Sometimes I use both categories. Say a person on the beach of a tropical island, I may list as "travel" "lifestyle" or the other way around.

What's confusing is travel means to me when I'm away on vacation. Yet my city has a few places that someone from another place might list as "travel". The bombing memorial, the Cowboy Hall of Fame, for instance.

So those places, do I ignore as travel because they are local to me, or list as travel because they are an attraction to those from away?

Betty

I live very near to Cambridge England and take lots of photos of the city and people. Although it is my local area I still keyword with travel, tourist, tourism, etc. because it is a tourist city.

Allan

I don't bother with categories at the moment. Having trouble even getting my discoverability to go green; all are amber and I've run out of meaningful keywords for some. If I add anything else it would just be 'waffle' so I'm leaving them as is.

I don't bother with categories at the moment. Having trouble even getting my discoverability to go green; all are amber and I've run out of meaningful keywords for some. If I add anything else it would just be 'waffle' so I'm leaving them as is.

I'm not bothering about 'discoverability'. I've keyworded all my images with as many keywords as I need so I don't feel that I have to add superfluous tags to make the bar go green. 

John.

Betty

I live very near to Cambridge England and take lots of photos of the city and people. Although it is my local area I still keyword with travel, tourist, tourism, etc. because it is a tourist city.

Allan

Good to know, Allan.

I'm glad it is not just me that is struggling with this aspect. I wonder if Alamy will be posting some guidance to help us all.

I feel so dumb. 

I'm not bothering about 'discoverability'. I've keyworded all my images with as many keywords as I need so I don't feel that I have to add superfluous tags to make the bar go green. 

John.

Yup, I agree entirely but why would Alamy introduce this feature if it was merely for cosmetic effect (i.e. bar turning green). I'm assuming that 'discoverability' will enhance CTR and thus the ability to turn photos into sales?

John.

Yup, I agree entirely but why would Alamy introduce this feature if it was merely for cosmetic effect (i.e. bar turning green). I'm assuming that 'discoverability' will enhance CTR and thus the ability to turn photos into sales?

I suspect they have put features into the user interface now which they intend to fully enable/switch on in the future. Categories are one of these things. Discoverability might turn out to be another.

Archived