Not expecting any more sales to pop up in 2015 so.....

2014 was a good year, and 2015 was even better.

Added about 300 pics, income up (even without the biggie), and number of sales/licences up (to 91).

Plus 1 successful Alamy infringement payment (and more in the pipeline).

Still quite a few unreported uses from the summer (distro & UK newspapers)

So overall a Happy Bunny.

Happy New Year all !

My upload rate this past couple of years has been pretty modest so it's no surprise that volume of sales has dropped a little. It used to be about 125 sales per year over the ten years I've been with Alamy, this year was down to 114. Well, this is New Year's Eve so I guess that's it for 2015. Revenue: $100 per sale used to about the average, this year it's down to $55 which is a bit depressing but at least I haven't seen too many of the sub-ten dollar sales. Worthwhile? Well sure, the grand gross total isn't that far short of $150,000 so it would be silly to question if it had been worth doing. It's hard to be optimistic about the direction we are all going, but in any case, we shall be opening a bottle or two of bubbly tonight and torching a few fireworks.

all the best for 2016!

Assuming no more sales pop in today, 2015 shaped up to be a fairly bad year on Alamy, for me. Almost half the revenue of my best year (2011) and down $2,800 from 2014. Number of sales have also dropped from 2014, down by 17 sales. 2014's average gross sale price was $73 while 2015's was $63.

On the good news front, as a photographer, this is my best year ever in terms of revenue in my 30 years of only making money from photography!

Is this the official 'report your year end sales results' thread?

Number of sales:

2014 = 57

2015 = 76 (includes Stockimo)

Revenue:
2015 was exactly the same as 2014.

I had way more newspapers sales in 2015 and less textbook sales than during 2014.

My advice to others who didn't have many sales in 2015 would be to try shooting anything trendy. The number one search term on Yahoo yesterday was lung cancer. Today asthma made the top ten search word. Get creative on how to photograph those two topics. And if you need inspiration, you might want to watch a couple of my YouTube videos. It's a new year, why not try something new?

Happy New Year, everyone! 

The bare figures indicate a good year, volume up 21% to 142 and gross revenue up 46%

In fact my sales volume has increased year upon year since I began in 2007. So far so good.

I have substantially added to my portfolio over the last three years, so increases of this sort are perhaps to be anticipated.

However there are signs that things are slackening off.  My rate of increase of sales volume is significantly down on last year, while my number of $100 plus sales is also down. This year's sales figure includes a one off 4 figure deal, and how likely is that to re-occur in 2016?

Looking at the trends I suspect that I will be seeing a levelling off or possible decline in the future, but I never was an optimist  :unsure:

Have an invigorating and thoroughly pleasant New Year fellow Alamites.

Well, I have a feeling that the stout lady has sung now, and the numbers for 2015 don't exactly sound pretty. Both my sales and gross revenue are down by over 40% from 2014, which puts me back to 2009-2010 levels when I had less than half of the images that I have in my collection now. Average price per image dropped from $81 in 2014 to $69 in 2015.

On the plus side, monthly sales were consistent during 2015 (I averaged six per month), which meant that I had regular but modest payouts. Not at all sure what 2016 will bring. If the "yo-yo" theory is correct, I could be headed for a financial recovery. That would be nice. However, if Donald Trump becomes president of the USA, it won't much matter what happens. B)  

Happy New Year / Bonne année to all my fellow Forumites

Sales numbers are up in 2015 compared to 2014 (and better than all years back to 2011) by 80% and gross fees by 76% for effectively zero effort in 2015. I rejigged my pseudonyms and checked my keywords in August 2014 and uploaded next to nothing in 2015! Bear in mind that my figures are not based on statisically significant numbers; so I seem to have maintained my average fee as well (the 80 to 76% difference is well within the margin of error). There was steady improvement from the middle of the year (first 5 months of 2015 were effectively a write off :( )

As a result of the changed results I have now started uploading, very selectively, again. I will be monitoring things closely in Q1/2016. I will be exploring other sales channels as well.

though sales # up and revenue down for 2015 - the past month or so saw return to reasonable net per license, including one due to post in next update - so here's to continuation of that in 2016.... 

Ann

Sales numbers are up in 2015 compared to 2014 (and better than all years back to 2011) by 80% and gross fees by 76% for effectively zero effort in 2015. I rejigged my pseudonyms and checked my keywords in August 2014 and uploaded next to nothing in 2015! Bear in mind that my figures are not based on statisically significant numbers; so I seem to have maintained my average fee as well (the 80 to 76% difference is well within the margin of error). There was steady improvement from the middle of the year (first 5 months of 2015 were effectively a write off :( )

As a result of the changed results I have now started uploading, very selectively, again. I will be monitoring things closely in Q1/2016. I will be exploring other sales channels as well.

Glad to hear that your zero effort in 2015 paid off, Martin. Sometimes taking a refresher break is the best thing you can do.

Glad to hear that your zero effort in 2015 paid off, Martin. Sometimes taking a refresher break is the best thing you can do.

Thanks John, the break certainly helped me rediscover my photo mojo. It also reminded me that there is much more to photography than generic stock! I also started writing again and although fees are down ( a reason I believe you gave up) but signs are that the return on effort seems it might be better than straight editorial stock photography.

Well, I have a feeling that the stout lady has sung now, and the numbers for 2015 don't exactly sound pretty. Both my sales and gross revenue are down by over 40% from 2014, which puts me back to 2009-2010 levels when I had less than half of the images that I have in my collection now. Average price per image dropped from $81 in 2014 to $69 in 2015.

On the plus side, monthly sales were consistent during 2015 (I averaged six per month), which meant that I had regular but modest payouts. Not at all sure what 2016 will bring. If the "yo-yo" theory is correct, I could be headed for a financial recovery. That would be nice. However, if Donald Trump becomes president of the USA, it won't much matter what happens. B)  

John, if Donald Trump becomes the president of the USA, I will seek refugee asylum in Canada! If you guys will let me in!

John, if Donald Trump becomes the president of the USA, I will seek refugee asylum in Canada! If you guys will let me in!

No problem, there's no shortage of room up here. I'd do the same for sure. BTW, there's a movement to prohibit DT from entering Canada (not that he'd ever want to) after some of his comments about Muslims, Mexicans, and women. Vancouver's mayor and others also trying to get a local developer to remove the "Trump" brand name from a skyscraper that is under construction in Vancouver. So you might be able to find safe haven in the Great White North if the worst comes to pass. Bienvenue au Canada, eh!

P.S. You may not even have to pack your thermal long johns thanks to global warming.

I'm going to wait for the full-figured lady to sing before I attempt a proper year-end review. However, I can say that 2015 has been a wake-up call for me. Sales numbers and revenue are both way down from 2014.

I just had two sales drop in today so I'm still waiting till midnight, Eastern Standard Time.

I'm going to wait for the full-figured lady to sing before I attempt a proper year-end review. However, I can say that 2015 has been a wake-up call for me. Sales numbers and revenue are both way down from 2014.

I just had two sales drop in today so I'm still waiting till midnight, Eastern Standard Time.

I just had one sneak in through the stage door as well. Encouraging to see, but I don't think that it will bring the full-figured lady back for an encore. B)

Only in my 2nd year as a contributor but it has been pretty good year.  About 1200 images added since 31 Dec 2014, 52 reported sales for an average gross of $31.  One sale a week on average, with 6 payouts this year.  I'd like to do better next year.  6 more unreported sales out there (that I know of) so 2016 already has some in the bank.  No fortunes made but then I always believe that the best way to make a small fortune is to start with a large one  :)

Happy New Year to you all.

sales:

2013 - 202

2014 - 185

2015 - 222

2013 and 2014 almost equal.

2015 around $3000 better than 2014.

and around $1000 more than my best year so far (2007).

Thank you Alamy!

A happy new year to all from a very safe Brussels!

Cheers!

wim

2015 in brief, compared with 2014: 

- no. of images up more than 15%

- no. of sales exactly the same

- gross revenue (the one that counts) down to 56% of last year's

So, taking 15% off the gross revenue to roughly account for the 2015 uploads, we end up with around a

halving of revenue from the images that were there in both years. 

Hmmm. My numbers are low enough that hopefully this is just an (unlikely but possible) statistical blip. 

I'd previously put this dramatic decline down to the lack of $180 or so textbook sales ... I wonder! 

Archived