I'm getting loads of SLOW months just recently, no sales and not many views then at the end of the month there's a flurry of activity (a few sales etc. usually). I don't know if anybody can explain this monthly pattern.

It's not just me then. One $70 for I assume a travel book, but it's a picture I like. I know It's a bit unprofessional for that to make a difference, but there we are.

Also it's from a region that had been a bit thin for me, so extra hope there.

I've been keeping track of various All of Alamy statistics for many years now, including the number of pages of searches for each month (e.g., from June 1st to 30th, 2015, there were 8,906 pages of searches in AoA). Here's a graph of the averages for each month from 2010 through 2014:

Monthly.search.avgs.jpg

December is clearly slow, and January's not great either, but July has been, on average, one of the busiest months. This approach doesn't measure zooms, but I've never seen evidence that AoA CTR fluctuates much month-to-month (though some events, such as upgrading the quality of zoomed images, or switching to a default of 120 views/page, have definitely affected CTR), so I don't see any reason to expect that overall zooms would be down in July (looking at the AoA average, that is; individual contributors will of course see bigger fluctuations). And of course this doesn't measure sales, but I haven't been keeping sales data as long, and it can take sales so long to register that it can be harder to spot trends. In general, it seems reasonable to assume that trends in sales activity will at least roughly follow trends in search and zoom activity.

In case the graph doesn't post above, you should be able to see it at

https://picasaweb.google.com/109307643701841667101/AlamyStats#6173631693206834018

I think a lot of licences come in at the end of the month due to deadlines and payment dates mainly by the UK newspapers. The last Friday of the month is usually the big day - this month Friday is also the last day of the month so watch this space!!

Kumar

How long has it taking you guys to get 30,000 + images . A lot of hard work well done

Did the smart move of starting right away with 15000 images. As I said several times before, if you want to step in the stock business, make sure you have "stock".

Cheers,

Philippe

Philippe, doesn't Arterra represent several photographers?

Very slow for me. June was quite good but after i have a pretty good month the next is normally a poor.

mind you i'm still waiting for payment from a newspaper back in December 2014 so fingers crossed that will come through

"Yep, and that was my very first smart move. What's keeping others from doing the same?"

Nothing - except I would be uncomfortable with offering a wildlife photographer 50% of most of the fees available thro alamy!- Actually thats 50% of 50%!

Good luck to you but its agents selling thro agents and sub agents which helps to bring the prices down and then keep them down. 

Regen

Perhaps I'm wrong about this, but there seem to be two types of contributors doing really well on Alamy these days -- ones with tens of thousands of wide-ranging images, and those with relatively small, tightly edited/focused portfolios. The rest of us languish somewhere in between.

A slow month is the norm for me. A fast month would constitute 4 or 5 images. I never know until the last day of the month which it's going to be. It doesn't stop me checking every day though. So far zooms have been promising.

Archived