this is what i am seeing, and find it reproducible over a wide range of searches:

page 1 + 2 : a mixture of often random images, many of low quality, with a significant amount of 'clumping' of similars in many cases. Pseudo rank playing a low part in which images are shown.

page 3 onwards: pseudo rank kicks in  again

it looks to me as if the new algorithm is designed to throw up a different mix of images on page 1+2 for any search you can think of, and then the 'old' algorithm takes over for pages 3 and deeper...

km

Sorry, Keith, but you're making assumptions. How do you know that all the images appearing on the first couple of pages aren't from high ranked contributors? They may not be brilliant shots but the photographers may have a high AR.
<>

Ian D

Ian,

That's simple if the bad or wrong images from the bad pseudos are one's own. As it was in my case.

Contributors with great memory or good book keeping / archiving skills (not me) will probably know where the competition used to be on the page for certain "bellwether searches". And what the competition was worth as well.

wim

this is what i am seeing, and find it reproducible over a wide range of searches:

page 1 + 2 : a mixture of often random images, many of low quality, with a significant amount of 'clumping' of similars in many cases. Pseudo rank playing a low part in which images are shown.

page 3 onwards: pseudo rank kicks in  again

it looks to me as if the new algorithm is designed to throw up a different mix of images on page 1+2 for any search you can think of, and then the 'old' algorithm takes over for pages 3 and deeper...

km

Sorry, Keith, but you're making assumptions. How do you know that all the images appearing on the first couple of pages aren't from high ranked contributors? They may not be brilliant shots but the photographers may have a high AR.
<>

Ian D

Ian,

That's simple if the bad or wrong images from the bad pseudos are one's own. As it was in my case.

Contributors with great memory or good book keeping / archiving skills (not me) will probably know where the competition used to be on the page for certain "bellwether searches". And what the competition was worth as well.

wim

Wim

Looking at the relative position of one's own pseudonyms in specific searches can be a little misleading, as there does now seem to be an overall contributor rank. I've had some anomalies where my lower ranked pseudos appear much higher in searches but, in all cases, I've found a rational explanation for it (which does seem to be a result of  tweaks to the search algorithm).

Despite some seemingly strange search results, the only way we can judge our apparent rank is if we appear near the top of searches - one word searches being the most objective. If one isn't appearing near the top then, in most cases, either one's rank, choice of subject matter or keywording is poor.

On a more general note, achieving a high rank is not impossible from a standing start. Not long ago, I created a new pseudonym and populated it with totally fresh images of a specific type. It started at the bottom of searches and had few zooms or views. A year later, it was appearing near the top and, with less than 300 images, was averaging 5 sales a month. Ultimately, Alamy's advice is right (I never thought I'd say that!) in that the best approach is to upload carefully edited shots, well keyworded, of subjects that buyers want (as Wim has frequently pointed out, AoA is excellent for researching that). What will kill rank and thus sales, is uploading random snapshots of everything without a thought to its possible end use. The old mantra of "anything can sell" is extremely misleading. Any subject can sell but, even if a poorly executed image gets licensed, there will always be a logical explanation for its use. Multiple similars are also a rank killer which, judging by another thread, some contributors haven't yet come to terms with!!

Ian D 

Hi All

This is getting more confusing by the day 

I live near a big city which I photograph, I managed under the old system to have an image at the bottom of page 7 now the best I can do is the bottom of page 14 [120 x 14 =a drop of1680] but that is a different image to the one that used to come up first.The original that used to come up first is now at the bottom of page 183 yes I did say 183 a drop of [176 x 120 =a whopping 21120]

I don't know what to make of this new system it would now seem impossible to sell under this new system. 

Is it worth putting in new images when it seems impossible to be seen under the new system it also seems to cluster strangely i.e. 2 different subjects 25 images submitted to each on one the new images are clustered in front of existing on the other they are behind I am perplexed .

Hardly worth it for 4 sales a year

Regards 

Jon

I'm still noticing that images from my main pseudo -- which is the source of almost all my sales -- usually come up on page one of search results. Whereas those in my secondary pseudo (I only have two pseudos) are often buried in the depths. So I'm not sure there is now an overall contributor rank.

I'm still noticing that images from my main pseudo -- which is the source of almost all my sales -- usually come up on page one of search results. Whereas those in my secondary pseudo (I only have two pseudos) are often buried in the depths. So I'm not sure there is now an overall contributor rank.

You misunderstand, John. I'm saying that there seems to be an overall contributor rank in addition to pseudonym rank - which still remains paramount. It's most noticeable when you create a new pseudonym - with a good overall rank, the new pseudo will appear higher up.

Ian D

You misunderstand, John. I'm saying that there seems to be an overall contributor rank in addition to pseudonym rank - which still remains paramount. It's most noticeable when you create a new pseudonym - with a good overall rank, the new pseudo will appear higher up.

Ian D

Got it. I haven't created a new pseudonym in a long time. Perhaps I'll give it a try.

Question: Why are you creating different pseudonyms? Is it useful professionally or are you trying to work the system?

Genuinely don't understand ( 1 Pseudo, 1700 images 7 good, but not unexpected sales so far in May)

Edit: 1 Pseudo = just 1 identity

Question: Why are you creating different pseudonyms? Is it useful professionally or are you trying to work the system?

Genuinely don't understand ( 1 Pseudo, 1700 images 7 good, but not unexpected sales so far in May)

Edit: 1 Pseudo = just 1 identity

I created a secondary pseudo mainly for organizational purposes. I use it for images that I don't feel fit well into my main collection, and for ones that I think probably won't get a lot of attention. I wasn't trying to "work the system" in any way. However, I didn't want to risk bringing down my main pseudo's ranking. I'm not sure this move was such a great idea since my secondary pseudo has not been very productive. Mind you, it has generated a few good licenses. At the moment, I'm thinking of either putting everything back in my main collection or breaking up my secondary one into a couple of additional pseudos as an experiment. I now have a lot of images in need of resuscitation.

The past week, indeed month has been slow compared to brilliant April but it speeded up today with 5 sales.

Kathy

I too had three small sales pop in today which were the first of the month for me.  :(

<>

I'm also wondering if picscout is kicking in as there seem to be many previous sales being relicensed?

Kathy

Maybe a discreet warning was enough?

BFAXN2.jpg

wim

Things have speeded up (sped up?) the last few days. Reasonable start, then nothing for 13 days, then (7) 8 sales over the last 4 days.

John.

Things have speeded up (sped up?) the last few days. Reasonable start, then nothing for 13 days, then (7) 8 sales over the last 4 days.

John.

Similar pattern here, although two of the sales were $15 "presentation" licenses. Better than nothing, though, and one was an image that I uploaded this month, which was encouraging to see. 

Does anyone else find they get a glut of sales at the end of a month?  Is there an accounting reason why this happens? :huh:

Yes I got a glut of 16 in last three days.  Still left me below average for the month though.

Pearl

Does anyone else find they get a glut of sales at the end of a month?  Is there an accounting reason why this happens? :huh:

I think I often see this pattern. Probably bookkeeping procedures end of month.

Archived