Zooms normal but sales poor - and MANY refunds!

Kumar

Recent or older sales being refunded (if you don't mind my asking)?

Both - two in particular are causing me particular problems

Both sold at the same time for $180 each in October 2014 and refunded the same day

Both again sold together for $180 each in March 2015 and refunded same day

Both again sold at the same time in May 2015 for $180 each and both then refunded; AND BOTH THEN REFUNDED AGAIN a few days later.

I have queried this with MS as it appears that I am currently out of pocket by 2 $180 sales.

Details are:

Usage: Editorial

Media: Book, print and/or e-book 

Print run: Unlimited

Placement: Inside

Image Size: 2 page spread

Start: 31 October 2014

End: 31 October 2039

All terms and rights granted as per the Alamy Preferred Vendor Agreement dated 26th January 2010 prevail. Flat rate per image, license period 20 years.

MS tell me the project has been cancelled and have apologised - and I understand that Alamy's transparent policy of sales reporting will sometimes result in sales and refunds, but my concern and point is that these have been refunded more times than they have been sold....

Kumar

Zooms normal but sales poor - and MANY refunds!

Kumar

Recent or older sales being refunded (if you don't mind my asking)?

Both - two in particular are causing me particular problems

Both sold at the same time for $180 each in October 2014 and refunded the same day

Both again sold together for $180 each in March 2015 and refunded same day

Both again sold at the same time in May 2015 for $180 each and both then refunded; AND BOTH THEN REFUNDED AGAIN a few days later.

I have queried this with MS as it appears that I am currently out of pocket by 2 $180 sales.

Details are:

Usage: Editorial

Media: Book, print and/or e-book

Print run: Unlimited

Placement: Inside

Image Size: 2 page spread

Start: 31 October 2014

End: 31 October 2039

All terms and rights granted as per the Alamy Preferred Vendor Agreement dated 26th January 2010 prevail. Flat rate per image, license period 20 years.

MS tell me the project has been cancelled and have apologised - and I understand that Alamy's transparent policy of sales reporting will sometimes result in sales and refunds, but my concern and point is that these have been refunded more times than they have been sold....

Kumar

I've had something similar bu not quite the same. A refund early this month and then it showed up again as a sale/refund early this week. I suspect it's an artifact of their reporting system, with the refund showing up the day the image sale was cancelled and then again on the date it was due to clear.

Edited to add that sales have been zero so far this month - though I know of 6 usages not yet reported - but zooms have been excellent since early March.

I've bought lots of food in for a party. Unfortunately I've had to cancel the party. Do you think if I take the food back I'll get my money back?

Even for non-perishables there's normally a handling charge. :wacko:  

I've bought lots of food in for a party. Unfortunately I've had to cancel the party. Do you think if I take the food back I'll get my money back?

Even for non-perishables there's normally a handling charge. :wacko:  

Good point. I've never quite understood the stock photo industry in that respect...

Without going back through the years and checking, I believe I'm having my best month ever as far as number of sales. Two more dropped in today and I have two more coming tomorrow.

What's neat is one image has sold 3 times this month. At first I thought there would be refunds, but no, each sale is different than the others. $100 each. I'll take it.

Without going back through the years and checking, I believe I'm having my best month ever as far as number of sales. Two more dropped in today and I have two more coming tomorrow.

What's neat is one image has sold 3 times this month. At first I thought there would be refunds, but no, each sale is different than the others. $100 each. I'll take it.

Well done Betty!

I've had a repeat sale too this month from my most popular image, it's good to get some regular sales that you can rely on.

John.

The Alamy search engine algorithm changed at the start of April 2015....

the effects are only now becoming clear

km

Keith, are you saying the change is hurting everyone in general or just some? Or is it purely guess work on your part? This isn't sarcasm, just trying to understand tis all.  :unsure:

The Alamy search engine algorithm changed at the start of April 2015....

the effects are only now becoming clear

km

Could you explain a bit more Keith please?

Kumar

not guesswork....

anyone who has been doing regular searches on their own images will have seen the impact of the changes since the first week of april....

km

How do you think the algorithm has changed? What impacts have you noticed?

Still a bit cryptic, Keith.

I'll say. Guess we'll have to wait for the next seminar.

I tried a few regular searches and didn't notice any major differences in the results. My images seem to be roughly where they usually are. 

Try a search for 'Nigel Farage' - can anyone explain the first result?

Nigel and Farage are in his keywords?

It's RF so it jumps to the front of the queue?

For a strange result, try Washington White House at night. And observe that those 82 images of the US Capitol now come up as a clump quite high, with lots of good sellers behind that clump, getting buried.

So: wrong result and clumping not at the back like it used to be, but obstructing good results from a good pseudo that have a good selling record.

wim

Try a search for 'Nigel Farage' - can anyone explain the first result?

Nigel and Farage are in his keywords?

It's RF so it jumps to the front of the queue?

For a strange result, try Washington White House at night. And observe that those 82 images of the US Capitol now come up as a clump quite high, with lots of good sellers behind that clump, getting buried.

So: wrong result and clumping not at the back like it used to be, but obstructing good results from a good pseudo that have a good selling record.

wim

Good detective work, wim. I see what you mean. This may not necessarily a bad thing, though, at least where general searches are concerned. I just tried a general search for "Mexico City," and my rather large clump of images now comes up near the top of page one, whereas it used to be much farther down the line (if memory serves me well).

It is very good news for some who have had no or almost no sales. That is what we are seeing in this thread as well.

So far it's like a see saw.

My second ranking pseudo is at the front of this search. Ok that's fine. But hey then there are some from a pseudo that has not sold in years and is quite low on the BHZ scale.

My main pseudo is now sitting behind not just those, but also behind that clump of wrong results.

With the same keywords and better sales; zooms; everything I can think of!

So behind how many clumps are my images sitting in how many other searches?

This was not detective work but sheer coincidence while keywording. I would not call it luck so far.

wim

Archived