Dutch PLR royalties

Just got an e-mail from DACS regard this subject.  I'm going to let this one slide.  No idea how to identify "work [that] must have been published in a UK book which has been translated into Dutch and published in The Netherlands".

Any other opinions?

I just asked them how to go about searching for these works.  But without knowing the title it seems rather difficult.

This is DACS reply:

To find out if your books have been translated into Dutch and published in the Netherlands you could try searching for them on www.worldcat.org.  Once you find your book if you click on "formats and languages" it will bring down a list of all the languages your book has been published in. Once you click on 'Dutch' it will show the Dutch ISBN and title.

The second website we use is www.bol.com. This is a Dutch website, if you type in your name or the name of your book in the search bar, then use the filter to show "Nederlandse Boeken", this will bring up all the Dutch books related to your search. Once you find your title, click on the publication and will bring up the publication details

Anyone have any bright ideas??

Kathy deWitt

I just asked them how to go about searching for these works.  But without knowing the title it seems rather difficult.

This is DACS reply:

To find out if your books have been translated into Dutch and published in the Netherlands you could try searching for them on www.worldcat.org.  Once you find your book if you click on "formats and languages" it will bring down a list of all the languages your book has been published in. Once you click on 'Dutch' it will show the Dutch ISBN and title.

The second website we use is www.bol.com. This is a Dutch website, if you type in your name or the name of your book in the search bar, then use the filter to show "Nederlandse Boeken", this will bring up all the Dutch books related to your search. Once you find your title, click on the publication and will bring up the publication details

Kathy deWitt

That's really useful Kathy, thanks - bookmarked for future use.  Now if only I knew in which titles my images were in English, I'd be laughing! :)

One wonders how much apart from Literature gets translated into Dutch. The Dutch don't even expect foreigners to learn it because it's so difficult, and of course they all speak perfect English.

Now I'm for it. We went to Belgium for ten years before even learning the Flemish for thankyou. It was written down for us by a waiter on the Graslei in Gent That reminds me I licensed the picture of his glass of Westmalle twice, first for $63 and second for 83¢. Such is life.

Alstublieft.

This is DACS reply:

Kathy deWitt

But how does this help find our images? Aren't those what we're looking for?

I think these websites help where you know the title of the book in which your images were published.  For the book that I was interested in checking it would seem that it wasn't translated into Dutch.

Yes John,

This is the puzzling question!  It seems like so much work just to find the books.  I thought I would post their reply anyway and it seems to have helped some people.

Yes John,

This is the puzzling question!  It seems like so much work just to find the books.  I thought I would post their reply anyway and it seems to have helped some people.

Yes, this sounds like looking for needles in a Dutch haystack (if there is such a thing B) ).

I located a number of books using my shots yesterday (by Googling my pseudo and alamy, but disabling alamy.com and discussion) and then used Kathy's site to check to see if each one had been translated into Dutch. No such luck, but not difficult to do.

Having obtained the titles did further research to get full details of ISBN etc and have now built a spreadsheet with details of all of the books for future reference.

I know of a couple of additional images that have licensed for textbook use, but not found above,  and will be using reverse image search (both Google and Tineye) in an effort to locate those too.

Edit - reverse image search proved to be a waste of time (in this instance)!

This is DACS reply:

Kathy deWitt

Many thanks for passing this on have had a quick look and found two so far so will be putting in a claim and will see how it goes.

Thanks again

Chris Burrows

Yes John,

Yes, this sounds like looking for needles in a Dutch haystack (if there is such a thing B) ).

Yes, it's called a "hooiberg". However, we have a rather laid-back attitude towards zoeken naar een naald in de hooiberg (D993C6).

This is DACS reply:

Kathy deWitt

I got the same reply as you Kathy.

Allan

EDIT: I have just emailed DACS asking them if it would be possible for them to provide an idea how our images can be linked to publications and if the information is readily available.

Allan

"EDIT: I have just emailed DACS asking them if it would be possible for them to provide an idea how our images can be linked to publications and if the information is readily available."

That's good Allan....thank you for doing that!

Kathy deWitt

Great, thanks Mr. Chapman!

"Put -alamy.com and -discussion.alamy.com in your Google search box."

You can also use + to or use quotes to force more exact matches. When I'm looking for usages I use the following in the search box.

"My pseudo name" -alamy.com -allcanadaphotos.com -dijitalimaj.com -worksinprint.com

It was written down for us by a waiter on the Graslei in Gent That reminds me I licensed the picture of his glass of Westmalle twice, first for $63 and second for 83¢. Such is life.

Hope you tipped him well...

The Dutch language is as awful as Danish - though spoken even lower in the throat.

A Dane who has been taught German in school can often partly read some of a Dutch newspaper and get the message. When spoken, nearly nothing can be understood. It is a worse throat inflammation than Danish.

Most Dutchmen are flying in English - and many Danes, too, so most often not a problem. German will also do.

"EDIT: I have just emailed DACS asking them if it would be possible for them to provide an idea how our images can be linked to publications and if the information is readily available."

That's good Allan....thank you for doing that!

Kathy deWitt

Will let you know outcome when I have reply. As it is weekend not holding out hopes for quick reply.

Allan

Yes John,

Yes, it's called a "hooiberg". However, we have a rather laid-back attitude towards zoeken naar een naald in de hooiberg (D993C6).

Dank je.

Call me thick, but shouldn't such a translated book/project simply turn up in the Summary of items sold list as sold to the Netherlands?

wim

That possibility crossed my mind as well. But doesn't the book have to have been published in the UK (not the Netherlands) before being translated into Dutch?

Coincidentally, my first sale on Alamy, back in late 2007, was to the Netherlands. Have only had a couple of others since then.

I located a number of books using my shots yesterday (by Googling my pseudo and alamy, but disabling alamy.com and discussion) and then used Kathy's site to check to see if each one had been translated into Dutch. No such luck, but not difficult to do.

Having obtained the titles did further research to get full details of ISBN etc and have now built a spreadsheet with details of all of the books for future reference.

I know of a couple of additional images that have licensed for textbook use, but not found above,  and will be using reverse image search (both Google and Tineye) in an effort to locate those too.

Edit - reverse image search proved to be a waste of time (in this instance)!

Bryan, how are determining whether the books were published in the UK? From "summary of images sold" on Alamy, or...?

Archived