Dutch PLR royalties

Call me thick, but shouldn't such a translated book/project simply turn up in the Summary of items sold list as sold to the Netherlands?

wim

It says on the email they sent:

"To be eligible for royalties, artists must have had their work published in a UK book which has been translated into Dutch and published in the Netherlands. All types of visual artist can apply, including illustrators and photographers.

You cannot claim royalties for books lent through UK public libraries nor books which have been published in the Netherlands only."

Call me thick, but shouldn't such a translated book/project simply turn up in the Summary of items sold list as sold to the Netherlands?

wim

"To be eligible for royalties, artists must have had their work published in a UK book which has been translated into Dutch and published in the Netherlands. All types of visual artist can apply, including illustrators and photographers.

You cannot claim royalties for books lent through UK public libraries nor books which have been published in the Netherlands only."

Thanks, Kathy. Sounds like too much work for little or no gain. I'm gonna pass on this one.

wim

Yes I get that. My question is: shouldn't the client have paid for that new edition? Or the new Dutch editor / client for this new use?

Richard just mailed me, saying it could have been a worldwide license. Including translations. Could be, I'm not sure. But anything goes, I guess.

wim

Yes I get that. My question is: shouldn't the client have paid for that new edition? Or the new Dutch editor / client for this new use?

Richard just mailed me, saying it could have been a worldwide license. Including translations. Could be, I'm not sure. But anything goes, I guess.

wim

Hi Wim:

I don't know how it works either, but when I started to look for books, the same titles published in different countries did have different ISBN's sometimes. I imagine

they are covered by the worldwide license. I do believe new editions should be relicensed though. Many of mine have been.

Kathy

disabling alamy.com and discussion

Hi Bryan:

how did you disable these please?

In Google use Options, Advanced Search and use the "none of these words" option. Options appears as a little gearwheel at the top right of my screen (Chrome, Win 7)

I located a number of books using my shots yesterday (by Googling my pseudo and alamy, but disabling alamy.com and discussion) and then used Kathy's site to check to see if each one had been translated into Dutch. No such luck, but not 

Bryan, how are determining whether the books were published in the UK? From "summary of images sold" on Alamy, or...?

Not sure that it's foolproof but looking at publisher is a help.

I just asked them how to go about searching for these works.  But without knowing the title it seems rather difficult.

This is DACS reply:

To find out if your books have been translated into Dutch and published in the Netherlands you could try searching for them on www.worldcat.org.  Once you find your book if you click on "formats and languages" it will bring down a list of all the languages your book has been published in. Once you click on 'Dutch' it will show the Dutch ISBN and title.

The second website we use is www.bol.com. This is a Dutch website, if you type in your name or the name of your book in the search bar, then use the filter to show "Nederlandse Boeken", this will bring up all the Dutch books related to your search. Once you find your title, click on the publication and will bring up the publication details

Anyone have any bright ideas??

Kathy deWitt

I got the same reply as you Kathy.

Allan

EDIT: I have just emailed DACS asking them if it would be possible for them to provide an idea how our images can be linked to publications and if the information is readily available.

Allan

Now I have had a reply to the question I asked of DACS as follows:-

-------------------------

Dear Alan,

Many thanks for getting in touch.

Unfortunately we do not have a system where we can find out where your work has been published for you. We can only research for you based on the title of the book, or the ISBN. To find out exactly where your work has been used its best to contact your photo-library, as only they have access to these details.

--------------------------------------------------

So there we have it. Not much help I'm afraid but the question was asked. Now we have to find some way to persuade Alamy to allow us to have details of publishers etc so we may pursue the Dutch claims ourselves.

Allan

I just asked them how to go about searching for these works.  But without knowing the title it seems rather difficult.

This is DACS reply:

To find out if your books have been translated into Dutch and published in the Netherlands you could try searching for them on www.worldcat.org.  Once you find your book if you click on "formats and languages" it will bring down a list of all the languages your book has been published in. Once you click on 'Dutch' it will show the Dutch ISBN and title.

The second website we use is www.bol.com. This is a Dutch website, if you type in your name or the name of your book in the search bar, then use the filter to show "Nederlandse Boeken", this will bring up all the Dutch books related to your search. Once you find your title, click on the publication and will bring up the publication details

Anyone have any bright ideas??

Kathy deWitt

I got the same reply as you Kathy.

Allan

EDIT: I have just emailed DACS asking them if it would be possible for them to provide an idea how our images can be linked to publications and if the information is readily available.

Allan

Now I have had a reply to the question I asked of DACS as follows:-

-------------------------

Dear Alan,

Many thanks for getting in touch.

Unfortunately we do not have a system where we can find out where your work has been published for you. We can only research for you based on the title of the book, or the ISBN. To find out exactly where your work has been used its best to contact your photo-library, as only they have access to these details.

--------------------------------------------------

So there we have it. Not much help I'm afraid but the question was asked. Now we have to find some way to persuade Alamy to allow us to have details of publishers etc so we may pursue the Dutch claims ourselves.

Allan

I haven't a clue where to start looking to see if any of my images that have been used in a UK publication have been translated into Dutch.

I submit my DACS claim myself, rather than through Alamy and lose 50%, but if Alamy know whether any books have been translated into Dutch then I would gladly let Alamy take 50% as I would gain 50% rather than nothing.

John.

Archived