I don't think this thread is sufficiently gloomy, so I thought I would give you this:

"These three events put together show something very clear. Big companies are moving away fast from traditional photo licensing as well as from the pro/non pro distinction. Very soon, there will be no more of these platforms that sell you a license to use an image against a fee, besides maybe a few microstock platforms. Because the market will no longer exist. Either people will find images in the crowd – like they already do with Flickr or microstock – or they will get images from brands that have sponsored them. Or, they will produce their own, cheaply, via hardly compensated employees.

Either way, they will no longer go to Getty or Corbis to get images. At least, not in sufficient amounts to sustain their operating costs. That is over. Stock photo licensing as we know it is finished. That is what Getty, Corbis and Teru Kuwayama are telling loud and clear via their various public announcements. Because pro photography doesn’t matter anymore. Not enough for people to purchase it for a reasonable price. And it mostly doesn’t matter anymore because we consume so many images online that one image is not worth a lot. It’s gone the next day. Expensive to produce but of little value."

From: http://blog.melchersystem.com/2014/05/14/like-a-fly-on-your-nose/

I don't think this thread is sufficiently gloomy, so I thought I would give you this:

"These three events put together show something very clear. Big companies are moving away fast from traditional photo licensing as well as from the pro/non pro distinction. Very soon, there will be no more of these platforms that sell you a license to use an image against a fee, besides maybe a few microstock platforms. Because the market will no longer exist. Either people will find images in the crowd – like they already do with Flickr or microstock – or they will get images from brands that have sponsored them. Or, they will produce their own, cheaply, via hardly compensated employees.

Either way, they will no longer go to Getty or Corbis to get images. At least, not in sufficient amounts to sustain their operating costs. That is over. Stock photo licensing as we know it is finished. That is what Getty, Corbis and Teru Kuwayama are telling loud and clear via their various public announcements. Because pro photography doesn’t matter anymore. Not enough for people to purchase it for a reasonable price. And it mostly doesn’t matter anymore because we consume so many images online that one image is not worth a lot. It’s gone the next day. Expensive to produce but of little value."

Totally depressing but tough to argue with. Destroy its habitat and the species goes extinct, to put it in ecological terms.

"I've seen the future, brother: it is murder."

-Leonard Cohen

Now how's that for gloomy?

Whenever I read such predictions (and there's a few around), I wonder how long is "soon" . . . what statements like "no more platforms" and "the market will no longer exist" really mean . . . and how many times pro photographers can be pronounced dead.

The last  similar prediction I read about G* was earlier this year . . . several thousand dollars ago . . . not enough incentive to chuck it all in and join Facebook imo.

dd

Whenever I read such predictions (and there's a few around), I wonder how long is "soon" . . . what statements like "no more platforms" and "the market will no longer exist" really mean . . . and how many times pro photographers can be pronounced dead.

The last  similar prediction I read about G* was earlier this year . . . several thousand dollars ago . . . not enough incentive to chuck it all in and join Facebook imo.

dd

Yes, the fact is that no one really knows what's going on these days. No point in losing sleep over it. Que sera, sera.

Good news time!!

I've already sold 2 images this month (on the 1st and 2nd) one of which is the 5th highest ever sale (out of 200 images sold).

Zooms are almost at an all time high! My highest rolling monthly zooms figure is 39, i'm at 38 so far. Another couple this week and it will be a record high.

My income this year from Alamy is the highest ever by far (about 20% higher than previous years) and yearly sales are the highest ever, even though there are almost 4 months of the year left.

So all in all i'm quite happy with Alamy!

John.

"Good news time!!" Stokie

Months are a bit meaningless since I have sales coming in from a variety of sources that report at different times (daily, monthly and quarterly) and I would rather put my head in a bucket than just look at Alamy figures.

So the most positive results for what I would consider to be the shortest meaningful period (a year): of a particular set of 12 images, most placed exactly a year ago - simple lighting, simple composition, no expense, took about a week in total to produce - I have had 14 sales.  No small thanks to those two firms mentioned by PM.  Plus a few others.

Slightly less bleakness this evening, as two sales have appeared,  but QC situation looking distinctly dodgy over submissions dating back to the 6th. Mind you these 24 hr turnarounds never seem to apply to me.

Slightly less bleakness this evening, as two sales have appeared,  but QC situation looking distinctly dodgy over submissions dating back to the 6th. Mind you these 24 hr turnarounds never seem to apply to me.

Two more zooms materialized overnight. So positivity is in the air...

Considering I had a batch fail in an hour this morning but am still waiting for the subsequent ones from this afternoon, not good news for either of us.

The consolation is that MS will tell you if you're in the sinbin, sorry batch fail queue.

First sale of the month showed up today, and it was a decent one ($175, textbook) of an older image that has leased several times. So I'm trusting that the mini September dry spell is over. Couple of new zooms of more recent shots as well. Positivity reigns once more...

Bleakness continues to lift with four sales so far (non very lucrative, but every little helps) and batches past QC. zooms still down.

Have had one particular image zoomed several times, most recently by code, but no sale as yet. Suspect client is doing this to wind me up  :)

Got outline details of a $7 sale today. Not sure whether to engage in wild celebration as a Newspaper Scheme sale finally tops $7, or to bemoan the fact that a non newspaper scheme sale has fallen to this level....

Re the Metro, very handy for reading on buses and for starting garden fires on my allotment.

Archived