Not exactly blowing my skirt up,

. . . never let it be said there is a dearth of photographic opportunities . . .

dd

Very weird pattern on Alamy....August was unexpectedly a great month, tons of zooms and 4 sales. A record for me. First half of September: 0 zooms and 1 sale. I am okay with 1 sale, but why the zooms have zeroed? Does it depend on the different ranking thing? I was doing so nicely, almost every day back in August I had new zooms and now the nothingness....i hope is temporary!

With my pathetic, undersized bag of snaps, and NYC being the second largest Alamy city collection, with over 1.5 million images (London has over 2 million), I had three sales in August . . . and then a nice $180 sale today -- of a bike messenger here in the city. Bikes, with and without riders, are a weakness of mine.

AA57YJ.jpg

But those of you who embrace irony, get this: I eat a lot of Mexican food, maybe three times a week, and most every time I eat some I snap a pic of the meal before I go to work with the knife and folk. Mexican cuisine is tasty, popular and colorful. A great subject, right? Okay, the irony.  Although a third of my sales are of food or related to food, I have never sold a picture of Mexican food. What's going on here?  :( 

With my pathetic, undersized bag of snaps, and NYC being the second largest Alamy city collection, with over 1.5 million images (London has over 2 million), I had three sales in August . . . and then a nice $180 sale today -- of a bike messenger here in the city. Bikes, with and without riders, are a weakness of mine.

But those of you who embrace irony, get this: I eat a lot of Mexican food, maybe three times a week, and most every time I eat some I snap a pic of the meal before I go to work with the knife and folk. Mexican cuisine is tasty, popular and colorful. A great subject, right? Okay, the irony.  Although a third of my sales are of food or related to food, I have never sold a picture of Mexican food. What's going on here?  :( 

I'm a big fan of most things Mexican, but I don't really have many food shots. However, this one of Yucatecan fare has leased several times even though I don't even know the names of the individual dishes. I don't think that any of my other Mexican food shots have ever sold.

How about a shot of a NYC bike messenger eating a burrito? That might work. B)

I wonder if Amazon will ship me up some of that from the Yucatan, John?

I deleted all the NYC and local references from my food shots, and frankly none are prize winners. But they are not studio art directed pics, rather travel food shots, a bit down and dirty. 

The other place I go to a lot is Parm. It's Italian, but all the line chefs are either Mexican or Ecuadorian. These are said to be the folks who can quickly pick up the special tricks of cooking dishes other than their own. A third place I frequent is pan-Asian up in Union Square. I like to watch people cook. These green-card holders (or maybe not) are a great addition to our local scene. 

D9MNX3.jpg

I wonder if Amazon will ship me up some of that from the Yucatan, John?

I deleted all the NYC and local references from my food shots, and frankly none are prize winners. But they are not studio art directed pics, rather travel food shots, a bit down and dirty. 

The other place I go to a lot is Parm. It's Italian, but all the line chefs are either Mexican or Ecuadorian. These are said to be the folks who can quickly pick up the special tricks of cooking dishes other than their own. A third place I frequent is pan-Asian up in Union Square. I like to watch people cook. These green-card holders (or maybe not) are a great addition to our local scene. 

D9MNX3.jpg

Looks muy rico to me. I'd buy it for sure.

My dearth continues which I still think is strange - no zooms or sales. However, taking up the reins of positivity, while out during the past week doing stock in fairly remote places, I've been approached twice to do small on the spot commissions. It obviously pays me to be visible with tripod and bags etc. In all my years of photography I can't remember this happening before and now lightening strikes twice. I'm now looking out for this kind of opportunity again. Anyone else experienced this?

Jim,.  :) 

My dearth continues which I still think is strange - no zooms or sales. However, taking up the reins of positivity, while out during the past week doing stock in fairly remote places, I've been approached twice to do small on the spot commissions. It obviously pays me to be visible with tripod and bags etc. In all my years of photography I can't remember this happening before and now lightening strikes twice. I'm now looking out for this kind of opportunity again. Anyone else experienced this?

No it's never happened to me - what were the commissions?

John.

Hi John,

They were small and diverse, but I like to call them commissions! I do lots of churches and one was in a churchyard for a shot of the grave of a mans late wife. The other was a bit more interesting - I was on the bank of a river in the Norfolk Broads doing 'scapes when a man sailed past in a small yacht turned around and asked if I would do some shots of him sailing as he'd never had any done before.

I think these just fell into my lap!

Jim.    

A couple of weeks ago I was photographing the cleaning of Big Ben and was approached by someone who ran a London website. He seemed really interested, took my card and website details and said he'd get in touch. He didn't.

Hi John,

They were small and diverse, but I like to call them commissions! I do lots of churches and one was in a churchyard for a shot of the grave of a mans late wife. The other was a bit more interesting - I was on the bank of a river in the Norfolk Broads doing 'scapes when a man sailed past in a small yacht turned around and asked if I would do some shots of him sailing as he'd never had any done before.

I think these just fell into my lap!

Jim.    

Oh well every little helps, as someone once said.......

A couple of weeks ago I was photographing the cleaning of Big Ben and was approached by someone who ran a London website. He seemed really interested, took my card and website details and said he'd get in touch. He didn't.

Did you ask what his website is called?  Would be worth having a look at it from time to time - just to see if an image of the cleaning of Big Ben appears there......

I have a special software from Barco which immediately will tell me if the search is in line or not. 

Details, if possible:  Barco?  Special software?  Search in line?

As to OP, thanks to surge in "textbookies", an :D above:lol: average half month.

Blimey, don't stop the Parade of Educational Licenses!!!!

(ALSO BOUGHT LOTSA SHARES OF FB THIS MORNING, A LONGTERM HOLD)

Barco? . . . Barco? . . . didn't they have software that allowed buyers to identify sets of photos that were simply slightly different versions of the same composite repeated over and over again, especially where said composites were all marked as NOT digitally manipulated? . . . maybe I'm mistaken . . .

dd

Archived