July Challenge "My Favourite Place"

Thanks to everyone who voted for the picture of me and my wife playing with the clear air and perspective in the gorgeous Salar de Uyuni in Bolivia. This months' subject is a nice, easy open subject - My Favourite Place. Its summer, holiday and travel time for many people, so send in shots of that special place where you feel really at home. It might be just down the road or it may be half the globe away. Its a very easy subject and everyone has a favourite place. New members, join in and send in your shots, and any members who haven't entered for a while (yup, I'm talking to you Philippe) can also post something. Rules are as usual, no more than three pics per person, you must (of course) be the owner of the pictures and the closing date is 31st July. I will then pick the top 8 and you will vote. Simple enough.

To get you all started, three from my favourite places

C4FWEY.jpg

Glorious Berlin, the eye of the storm of 20th century history and home to great nights out, great beer and some of the most easy going, polite and friendly people around. Go there after spending some time in aggressive England and be pleasantly surprised by the difference.

BXYM30.jpg

Salar de Uyuni in Bolivia. Just stunning, it was love at first sight for me. If you find yourself in this corner of the world be sure to go there, and don't be fobbed off by those who say that the north of Chile is just as good. Its not. Just don't go at the height of the tourist season.

DGJKK3.jpg

The Alps. An enduring romance for me, high peaks and deep valleys, long tiring days out in thin air, defeat and victory on the ridges and faces and beers back in town after. Grand days out that do fill the unforgiving minute with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Happy posting all and I look forward to seeing you favourite places, and if they are Berlin, Bolivia or the Alps, I'll see you there.

Cheers

Col

A fun subject.

First, one of my favourite places - the back of a horse

E0KCXA.jpg

The Toronto Zoo

DWJ3CC.jpg

And the Serengeti in Africa. I have only gone once but crave to go again. It changed my whole perspective on life itself and how I live mine.

DBMWRN.jpg

Jill

I have some favourite places but no images of them. ;)

Allan

Ditto

Well, there's an assignment for you guys.

Me, I'm having trouble picking only three.

I think Allan was alluding to the fact his wife won't let him photograph his 'favourite' places ;)

The beautiful Spanish colonial town of San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, is one of my favourite places. Have to admit, though, that I liked it better before everyone else discovered it. So please don't go.

BDNYMP.jpg

... and, yes, they now even have a Starbucks

BX107J.jpg

to be continued...

Fun concept for the challenge! I spent a fair amount of time in the Caribbean and here are a couple of my fave places and then a shot close to home.

One of the prettiest beaches I have every seen, this one is on Anguilla

AE9YA1.jpg

Nevis is the island that I went to most over the years and my very first tropical island experience, back in the mid 80's\

CTFGHP.jpg

Ten minutes from my home in Maryland (USA), sometimes it is easy to forget that home can be beautiful too!

A8963J.jpg

My favorite OUTDOORS spot is Norman J. Levy Park & Preserve - a reclaimed garbage dump in wetlands of Merrick, South Shore of Long Island, New York:

DPE9Y2.jpg

DPE9Y2: Norman J. Levy Park & Preserve

Manhattan's a close runner up, and among my favorite memories of spots are:

• Catskills mountain lake in New York during thunderstorm
  • Castle in Loire Valley, France during a Son et Lumiere 

fun topic, Colin!  - Ann

Allan

Ditto

I think Allan was alluding to the fact his wife won't let him photograph his 'favourite' places ;)

...and I would like to clearly state here and now that I wasn't :D!

Anyhoo, I might be able to scrape up one or two from old scans of slides/negs (so forgive the poor quality).

Going to be literal here, as this subject is just too huge to begin thinking laterally.  Many, many places I've travelled in the past that I'd love to return to, (can't see it happening, though :() among them being:

Hsinbyume Paya, Mingun, Sagaing, Burma

22.jpg

Inle Lake, Nyaungshwe, Burma

223.jpg

New York, NY, USA (1980! - from the World Trade Centre)

200.jpg

Sorry about the watermarks - lost the original scans and .jpgs in a hard drive crash a number of years back.

It's true, you don't have to travel across the globe to find profound beauty.  Here are two spots I've found in just the last year within driving distance of home.

Last Fall I stole a weekend and drove north into the Mountains of North Carolina and found Gorges State Park.  The walk back to Rainbow Falls took me over an hour (I'm sure others do it faster) but was well worth the effort.  I so want to go back when I have more time.

DHNB1W.jpg

Near Fernandina Beach and just a little north of Jacksonville, Florida I found this little creek that the business highway passes over.  Because of the color you might mistake this for an autumn shot but it's actually early Spring and the color is from the buds and new leaves. I so wish I'd had a kayak or canoe available to take a little trip up this backwater creek.

DX158G.jpg

I have thought about using images from three different places because I have had the wonderful good fortune to be able to go to Africa twice, to Alaska twice and to the Svalbard Archipelago where our Russian captain got our ship all the way into the ice to see polar bear moms and their cubs. I've decided to just do Kenya. A very long time ago I read a book called "Raising Daisy Rothschild" about a British couple who raised a Rothschild giraffe at their manor in an effort to save that particular kind of giraffe in that part of Kenya. When they let her go free to join the Masai giraffes that visited their property she just wanted to go into the house with them. Not possible, of course, but she would stick her head in the windows. It is a hotel now and when I realized that it is in Nairobi where my first Africa trip was beginning I decided to spend the extra money to stay a couple of nights there and fulfill a dream. The giraffes do stick their heads into the windows and I got giraffe slobber all over my hands as i fed them. Absolute heaven and I was in tears when I had to leave...

D5P2CH.jpg

D5P2CH   Giraffe Manor

Also in Nairobi is the Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage where elephant babies are brought up together until they can be moved to a large park and be integrated with wild elephants. They wear blankets to protect their skin because when they are with their mothers they are in the shade of her body...

D6D07H.jpg

D6D07H   Orphan elephant baby blowing bubbles...

Then I went on to the Masai Mara where on my very first game drive we came upon a cheetah lying on a termite mound. So beautiful… 

CNM1M5.jpg

CNM1M5   Cheetah...

Kenya is a very special place.

Paulette

Born and raised in Co. Durham, love to travel but always happy to come home.

AN3F6R.jpg

Durham cathedral and castle reflected in the river Wear.

DYJRNN.jpg

View from Lanchester railway walk

C913G8.jpg

Autumn colours Durham City.

Allan

Ditto

Unfortunately THOSE places were taken from me in 2000. :(

No, I was referring to other places and if I had the time I would go and get some images to load to Alamy for this comp but not telling you were in case you beat me to them. :P

Allan

C913G8.jpg

Autumn colours Durham City.

I like this image, it is so good I think you ought to enter it in a competition.

Oh! You have.

Allan (another Co. Durham born and bred. Give my regards to Sunderland.)

Allan

Ditto

No, I was referring to other places and if I had the time I would go and get some images to load to Alamy for this comp but not telling you were in case you beat me to them. :P

Allan

Sorry Allan. I should think sometimes before posting :ph34r:  :unsure:

Allan

Ditto

Allan

Sorry Allan. I should think sometimes before posting :ph34r:  :unsure:

Please don't worry Alex, you were not to know and I took it in the spirit that it was meant. :)

Allan

There's a certain theme here, but there we are.

Behind a pint in the curry house where OH and I had our first date

DXJH0W.jpg

Behind a glass of  Bernkasteler Doctor riesling on the Mosel

BE7NRE.jpg

Behind a round of late-night (or if you prefer early-morning) cocktails, Campo San Giacomo di Rialto, Venice

CTM8YE.jpg

I was seriously thinking of just picking my best shots (whatever that is) from around the world, because I love all the places I've traveled to.

I even had some contenders from my home city of Toronto.

But in my heart of hearts, what I really love are the Rocky Mountains, Banff in particular.  So my three selections are basically of the same place - Vermillion Lakes near Banff with Mount Rundle, Sulfur Mountain at sunrise, and evenings.

Panorama of red sunrise over Second Vermillion Lake in Banff Alberta

AK3X5H.jpg

Evening light on third Vermillion Lake with Mount Rundle and Sulphur Mountain

AKDA5K.jpg

Sulfur mountain yellow evening breakthrough light

A2R1R3.jpg

I was seriously thinking of just picking my best shots (whatever that is) from around the world, because I love all the places I've traveled to.

I even had some contenders from my home city of Toronto.

But in my heart of hearts, what I really love are the Rocky Mountains, Banff in particular.  So my three selections are basically of the same place - Vermillion Lakes near Banff with Mount Rundle, Sulfur Mountain at sunrise, and evenings.

Panorama of red sunrise over Second Vermillion Lake in Banff Alberta

AK3X5H.jpg

Evening light on third Vermillion Lake with Mount Rundle and Sulphur Mountain

AKDA5K.jpg

Sulfur mountain yellow evening breakthrough light

A2R1R3.jpg

Nice! I am hoping to be able to get there next year. i certainly have the airmiles just need to make sure the funds for the rest of it are there :)

A4MJ7J.jpg

My favourite place in the whole world is underwater, especially when I get the chance to swim with and photograph large numbers of sharks

DXFRFT.jpg

If I can't be underwater, spending time in a bat colony is probably my favourite "above" place

D15BE6.jpg

And when I'm travelling, visiting the Hindu temples of Bali is my favourite

Archived