worse science stock photos?

I suspect that some of this is down to copying. The first photographer to do this may have seen someone using a logic probe and mistakenly equated it with a soldering iron. Others then saw the resulting image and assumed that that was the correct way to use the item. Hopefully no one tried it with an iron that was actually plugged in.

2 hours ago, DJ Myford said:

+1. That soldering iron image is bordering on criminal.

I used to know a guy who confessed to soldering in the nude and getting solder on an important biological part.  All the guys can go "Ouch."

I suspect that most of these are models and gear that neither the photographer or the model knows much about. 

39 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

The Elephant in the Room is that it you are soldering components into a board, these boards are upside down!

😚😀🤣

Not necessarily - could be surface mounted components...🙂

When I started my first job as an apprentice Radio & TV service engineer we were taught to solder, of course.  I think every one of us at one time dropped the soldering iron and, without thinking, automatically reached out to grab it.  You only do it once...💥

54 minutes ago, Vincent Lowe said:

Not necessarily - could be surface mounted components...🙂

When I started my first job as an apprentice Radio & TV service engineer we were taught to solder, of course.  I think every one of us at one time dropped the soldering iron and, without thinking, automatically reached out to grab it.  You only do it once...💥

As soon as I hit reply I wondered who would pick me up on surface mount. 👍

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sooth said:

first time I've seen this, "worst science stock photos"

https://twitter.com/ChemistryKit/status/1580308605416325120

The (the academic scientists) who posted and commented on the images seemed annoyed, finding fault with the content depicted in the stock photos. Personally, I see parody and humor, and I noticed there were no comments on the technical quality of the photos, nor the difficulty in setting up a photoshoot, let alone trying to illustrate whatever concept the photographers were doing with minimum props; I have a degree in molecular genetics and found nothing wrong here. those ivy tower academic types who commented are just too sheltered; academic science is bs, funding basic science classes in primary and secondary schools is a better use of money.

Chip on your shoulder much? Seems like you're just looking for an excuse to make a jab at 'academic types'.  It's fun to laugh at bad images or ones that comically fail to illustrate the point - there are no comments on the technical quality of the photos or photoshoots because these are by and large not interesting photos, hardly seems discussing the technical aspects. I also don't think any 'academic types' were annoyed much, rather they're poking fun at images that seem to merit it.  In this case, the images happen to be science-themed but for example, stock images on a construction theme of workers wearing their hardhats backwards or using equipment improperly would also be laughed at in a similar way just in different circles. 

1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

I would hesitate posting the watermarked images on this thread/forum.  Putting in a link to them is fair game but I would hate to see someone come after Alamy for an infringement. Happy that they are not mine!

Mine is indeed a deep link.

wim

16 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

I used to know a guy who confessed to soldering in the nude and getting solder on an important biological part.  All the guys can go "Ouch."

Yeah, you know how you try to grab something you've dropped? Just let a soldering iron go. Surprising how much surface area there is on a cylinder, it's a long burn.

On 24/04/2023 at 16:12, Rebecca Ore said:

I suspect that most of these are models and gear that neither the photographer or the model knows much about. 

If those images were licensed/sold the buyers also didn't know much about them either....

• Like 1