worse science stock photos?

A stock photo can of course be documentary, but it doesn't have to be IMO. 
Even if we stock photographers always feel great when we imagine that we are photo reporters and important contemporary witnesses, this is not the standard for a good stock photo.
Above all, a good stock photo has to do one thing: generate sales.

The temperature of the soldering iron is secondary because a stock portfolio is not a tutorial.
And if the genetic researcher's bust size drives sales, that's more important than any authenticity

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spiegel said:

A stock photo can of course be documentary, but it doesn't have to be IMO. 
Even if we stock photographers always feel great when we imagine that we are photo reporters and important contemporary witnesses, this is not the standard for a good stock photo.
Above all, a good stock photo has to do one thing: generate sales.

The temperature of the soldering iron is secondary because a stock portfolio is not a tutorial.
And if the genetic researcher's bust size drives sales, that's more important than any authenticity

So if someone copies the image and takes hold of a soldering iron by the part that gets hot enough to melt metal rather than using the handle, it's fine for them to get severe burns because the photographer got paid for the image licence? Got it.

50 minutes ago, DJ Myford said:

So if someone copies the image and takes hold of a soldering iron by the part that gets hot enough to melt metal rather than using the handle, it's fine for them to get severe burns because the photographer got paid for the image licence? Got it.

We are talking about stock photos here, not tutorials or textbooks.
We never know for what purpose our images will be used. We are not trainers or instructors, we just sell images whose meaning may change in the context of use.
Therefore, we should not make ourselves bigger and more important than we are. We sell the images, no more and no less. Anyone who holds a soldering iron incorrectly was too lazy to read the instruction manual or didn't pay attention in shop class. To make a contextless photo responsible for this seems very far-fetched to me.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, spiegel said:

We are talking about stock photos here, not tutorials or textbooks.

Quite so, but it could end up in a tutorial. I agree we don't owe a duty of care, but surely we should know something about our subjects. You'd hope that the moderating factor would be that such an image won't be licensed. But it would be preferably if it weren't available.

Fortunately you do get a last-chance-saloon warning if you try to pick up a hot soldering iron- it's hot.

• Love 1

On 24/04/2023 at 14:57, wiskerke said:

Holding My Soldering Iron

yikes!

wim

I remember this from school. Thought I was doing really well until I noticed this weird smell.

Always keep your hair in a pony tail. 

29 minutes ago, vpics said:

I remember this from school. Thought I was doing really well until I noticed this weird smell.

When I got my hair caught in an electric sander I was excused from working on the sets and returned to the costume department. A happy result. Costumes were more fun and I was good at it.

Paulette

• Love 1

5 hours ago, vpics said:

This topic reminds me that I still have to take photos of my mangled work glove and shirt.

My almost absent hair is no risk anymore. However my glove got caught in my small drill press by a wad of long aluminium/aluminum chips. Again yikes!

wim

On 26/04/2023 at 11:12, spacecadet said:

Quite so, but it could end up in a tutorial. I agree we don't owe a duty of care, but surely we should know something about our subjects

The target market that is trying to be reached by images such as the soldering irons will have some degree of familiarity with the topic. Images that are poorly constructed such as the soldering images have poor credibility as a result.

Another example:   I used to go fishing a lot - have boat and lots of tackle.  Non-fishing advertising images/videos, etc with smiling models holding a fishing rod/reel upside down always puzzled me.    Spend all that $$ producing a slick advertisement without consulting someone that's at least remotely knowledgeable on how to properly hold a fishing rod/reel or which end of a hot soldering iron to grasp is goofy.  The credibility of the whole ad goes down the tube.

Edited by Phil
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, Rebecca Ore said:

I think the stethoscope against the plants was intended as a metaphor for watching the health of the planet.   If not....

Yes, I think that was meant to be a conceptual shot, not to be taken literally.