What happens if you die?

Martin L

Question

Not being morbid, it pertains to copyright/licensing, it was a question posed by my partner ( hmmm... hope she hasn't got anything planned for me although the curry last night tasted a bit funny).

Presumably copyright for the pics can be transferred in a will so she will have to let Alamy know?

If copyright isn't transferred what happens to any images subsequently licensed? Who benefits, Alamy?

Where does the copyright end up?

Can she still claim the funds even though she is not the copyright holder?

• Like 1

I have simply given my hubby all my passwords to my online accounts, as I have a few. To receive the income, he would simply need to change the Paypal account to his own.  As to the official copyright, I have that in my will so that should be all you would need for legal stuff.

Jill

DACS provide some detailed guidance on this matter as it pertains in the UK. In summary, it is prudent to make specific provision in your will for who will inherit both copyright and artists resale rights. 

I don't know what Alamy's policies are for dealing with the matter of  a deceased contributor. I guess it will be answered somewhere in the forum or Alamy website.

13 hours ago, John Morrison said:

If you die? You mean there's a choice??

That reminds me of an advert on TV about a direct cremation company.  In it the lady says "I don't want a funeral."  I reply "Neither do I, I want to live forever."

Allan

Yeh! I know it's sad talking to the television.

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, John Morrison said:

If you die? You mean there's a choice??

Sort of reminiscent of the conditional apology - e.g. "I'm sorry if I destroyed the economy" rather than  "I'm sorry that I destroyed the economy". The only thing worse than a conditional apology is not apologising at all or even worse not realising that you did nothing wrong especially when it was you who made the rules. There's a lot of it about.

• Love 1
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, MDM said:

Sort of reminiscent of the conditional apology - e.g. "I'm sorry if I destroyed the economy" rather than  "I'm sorry that I destroyed the economy". The only thing worse than a conditional apology is not apologising at all or even worse not realising that you did nothing wrong especially when it was you who made the rules. There's a lot of it about.

I am very sorry I got it wrong.

Allan

On 25/03/2023 at 14:32, Martin L said:

Not being morbid, it pertains to copyright/licensing, it was a question posed by my partner ( hmmm... hope she hasn't got anything planned for me although the curry last night tasted a bit funny).

Presumably copyright for the pics can be transferred in a will so she will have to let Alamy know?

If copyright isn't transferred what happens to any images subsequently licensed? Who benefits, Alamy?

Where does the copyright end up?

Can she still claim the funds even though she is not the copyright holder?

If you have left your residual estate to your partner there's no actual need to refer explicitly to copyright, because it is property and she will inherit it automatically.

You would only need to refer to it if you don't want her to have your ongoing royalties.

I have left my estate to my granddaughter and have included specific wording, but that's really to draw the executor's attention to it- there's no need to change an existing will unless it would need to be revised anyway.

If the amounts involved are small, then by recent experience I would expect Alamy to accept the executor's instructions on sight of the death certificate without the need for probate.

Quite unseriously, were she to engineer your demise, she could not of course benefit and bequests to her would be dealt with under the intestacy rules😉

Edited by spacecadet

Returning to the original question I've very recently been reminded of the need to make full provision after 2 TIAs (mini strokes) in quick succession followed by a 2.5hr operation (wide awake to monitor brain function) to remove a blockage in my right carotid artery.  My Alamy portfolio doesn't generate a fortune (who's does?) but enough money comes in to provide useful extra income to my wife.  I'd already set up full details of access to Alamy,  bank accounts etc to go with our wills but I've realised that I also need to ensure that she can get at the photos on my computer and back up disks, decide which to keep and which are rubbish and protect and hopefully benefit from my IP.  A job for my recovery!

29 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

Returning to the original question I've very recently been reminded of the need to make full provision after 2 TIAs (mini strokes) in quick succession followed by a 2.5hr operation (wide awake to monitor brain function) to remove a blockage in my right carotid artery.  My Alamy portfolio doesn't generate a fortune (who's does?) but enough money comes in to provide useful extra income to my wife.  I'd already set up full details of access to Alamy,  bank accounts etc to go with our wills but I've realised that I also need to ensure that she can get at the photos on my computer and back up disks, decide which to keep and which are rubbish and protect and hopefully benefit from my IP.  A job for my recovery!

This sounds horrible John. Hope you make a full recovery soon.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

Passwords and logins come and go so I have assumed that the executor's instructions will be sufficient for Alamy to provide access. After all, even the way login is done may have changed completely come the remorseful day.

Again from recent experience the bank (actually BS) process required only sight of the death certificate, with the provisos that I was also a customer, the amounts were small and there were no online accounts.

48 minutes ago, gvallee said:

This sounds horrible John. Hope you make a full recovery soon.

In for the op Friday, out Saturday so could have been a lot worse.  Because Derriford hospital in Plymouth is a teaching hospital I had a running commentary throughout the op.  Interesting!

Edited by John Richmond
typo
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Passwords and logins come and go so I have assumed that the executor's instructions will be sufficient for Alamy to provide access. After all, even the way login is done may have changed completely come the remorseful day.

Again from recent experience the bank (actually BS) process required only sight of the death certificate, with the provisos that I was also a customer, the amounts were small and there were no online accounts.

I've assumed the same and provided necessary instructions to my wife and daughter.  The bit that has now concerned me is preservation of the actual digital and other files of my IP.  Neither are brilliant at IT and may not understand the need for backups and maintenance of the material in the longer term.

Thanks everyone.

Sorry John to hear about your recent probs, hope everything works out.

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

If you have left your residual estate to your partner there's no actual need to refer explicitly to copyright, because it is property and she will inherit it automatically.

You would only need to refer to it if you don't want her to have your ongoing royalties.

I have left my estate to my granddaughter and have included specific wording, but that's really to draw the executor's attention to it- there's no need to change an existing will unless it would need to be revised anyway.

If the amounts involved are small, then by recent experience I would expect Alamy to accept the executor's instructions on sight of the death certificate without the need for probate.

Quite unseriously, were she to engineer your demise, she could not of course benefit and bequests to her would be dealt with under the intestacy rules😉

Thanks Mark, I was thinking about adding something specific to the will but it makes sense what you say, not sure how she is going to spend my massive Alamy income however.🙃

3 hours ago, John Richmond said:

In for the op Friday, out Saturday so could have been a lot worse.  Because Derriford hospital in Plymouth is a teaching hospital I had a running commentary throughout the op.  Interesting!

I have a friend who would have loved the commentary. I would faint. I get light-headed at any descriptions of medical procedures. I wonder if they would have to keep reviving me. Maybe just stop talking about it.

Paulette

2 hours ago, NYCat said:

I have a friend who would have loved the commentary. I would faint. I get light-headed at any descriptions of medical procedures. I wonder if they would have to keep reviving me. Maybe just stop talking about it.

Paulette

I have a nephew who’s much like that. Especially anything to do with eyes. He’s at the age where he could develop cataracts at any time. Will be interesting to see how he handles it if/when he develops them. “Dr., I can’t see well. Put me to sleep & fix it but don’t describe what you’ll do, please.”

I’m at the other end. Love everything medical. When the ophthalmologist I worked for had surgery for a kidney stone, I asked to see his incision while he was in the hospital. His eyebrows shot up, then he showed me. I’d worked for him long enough he knew how insatiable I was about medicine.

No worries, the incision was on one side of the lower back, entirely decent. :D

Edited by Betty LaRue

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

I have a nephew who’s much like that. Especially anything to do with eyes. He’s at the age where he could develop cataracts at any time. Will be interesting to see how he handles it if/when he develops them. “Dr., I can’t see well. Put me to sleep & fix it but don’t describe what you’ll do, please.”

I’m at the other end. Love everything medical. When the ophthalmologist I worked for had surgery for a kidney stone, I asked to see his incision while he was in the hospital. His eyebrows shot up, then he showed me. I’d worked for him long enough he knew how insatiable I was about medicine.

No worries, the incision was on one side of the lower back, entirely decent. :D

I was getting a lot of styes and my optometrist discovered I had an overabundance of face mites. She offered to let me see one under the microscope. No thanks. Bad enough I know they are there...Fewer I hope thanks to tea tree soap and shampoo. Take a look at the Introductions section of the Forum. A surprise waits for you.

Paulette

9 hours ago, John Richmond said:

John I am very sorry to read of your medical problems. Hope you recover quickly after your operation.

Allan

• Love 1

21 hours ago, John Richmond said:

Take care John!

Thanks for the kind words everyone.  Sorry to have slightly hijacked the thread but it has hopefully generated some answers for the original poster. 

As for myself I suspect my recovery will be enhanced with a reasonable $$$ sale that's just dropped in - though it's not a sales strategy I'd recommend..

• Love 1
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, NYCat said:

I was getting a lot of styes and my optometrist discovered I had an overabundance of face mites. She offered to let me see one under the microscope. No thanks. Bad enough I know they are there...Fewer I hope thanks to tea tree soap and shampoo. Take a look at the Introductions section of the Forum. A surprise waits for you.

Paulette

Thanks for the surprise! Done & done.

John, please follow doctors orders. I wish you a strong & healthy recovery. Just think. If you had been born 100 years before you were, the medical treatments you have now wouldn’t be possible. I am often amazed at the progress in medicine.