'Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life..'

Things are pretty dire at the moment politically, geo-politically, environmentally, drought, famine, pestilence & disease ++. I think I'm In need of some inspiration as I'm beginning to agree with Dr Johnson — 'Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford.'

Anyone got any fun ideas about what to go and snap in London?

6 hours ago, Jansos said:

Things are pretty dire at the moment politically, geo-politically, environmentally, drought, famine, pestilence & disease ++. I think I'm In need of some inspiration as I'm beginning to agree with Dr Johnson — 'Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford.'

Looking at the photos used by The Times on a daily basis there is rarely an edition goes by without a photo or photos taken in London. In contrast it is something of a red letter day when a photo appears taken in one of the large cities/towns where I hang out. So, from that point of view, London is the place to be. 

Would I like to live there? Certainly not !

• Love 1

I haven't lived in London for 40 years but I usually visit at least once a year. Every year there is something new, and in recent years I've been using each visit to see a part of London I haven't explored before. And the pictures sell.

Alan

Edited by Inchiquin
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Jansos said:

Take a trip on the river taxi Clipper boats.

• Love 1

13 hours ago, Ognyan Yosifov said:

I  just love wandering around London. 

Once I measured my walking route, showing 35 km for the day...

Yeah, that's me!

Easy to clock-up the distance. So much to see but I've seen it so many times! Think I need to travel overseas a bit.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

I haven't lived in London for 40 years but I usually visit at least once a year. Every year there is something new, and in recent years I've been using each visit to see a part of London I haven't explored before. And the pictures sell.

Alan

You are right, the pictures do sell. There is always demand, I'm lucky in that respect.

19 hours ago, Bryan said:

Looking at the photos used by The Times on a daily basis there is rarely an edition goes by without a photo or photos taken in London. In contrast it is something of a red letter day when a photo appears taken in one of the large cities/towns where I hang out. So, from that point of view, London is the place to be. 

Would I like to live there? Certainly not !

It's easy to feel very small and insignificant in London. People are usually in a rush but I wouldn't like to live anywhere else. Whether I can move my arse to get out of the door these days is another matter! ;-)

8 hours ago, Jansos said:

It's easy to feel very small and insignificant in London. People are usually in a rush but I wouldn't like to live anywhere else. Whether I can move my arse to get out of the door these days is another matter! 😉

Develop an interest in something new - statues, tube stations, listed buildings, hotels, pubs, corner shops, places of worship - so that you are walking around with fresh eyes

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Jansos said:

They are great fun and cheap if you have an Oyster card.👍

A relative term!

Unfortunately an environmental disaster as they were allowed by guess who to bypass the speed limits. The envorinmental impact studies were fudged and the wash causes catastrophic damage to foreshore habitats, despite the greenwashing by the operators. Look to your consciences, please.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

§

On 26/08/2022 at 10:10, Inchiquin said:

Alan

I left London with my parents when I was 3. I used to regularly visit during the 60's and 70's, often staying over at my grandmothers in Wood Green until she passed away. I've only one London relation left in Finsbury Park, and he's pretty much a recluse, haven't seen him for some time. Now when I visit I try to combine as many activities as possible into the day. You are certainly right when you say the pictures sell.

• Love 1

Notting Hill carnival this weekend, if you dare!   I  work in London about three days a week, mostly the Westminster political beat.  it is rare i come home with nothing.  The Royal Parks are a constant source of material if you have a Parks news permit.  A friend of mine spends a lot of time taking pictures of church monuments.  Another spends a great deal of time (and gets a lot of publication)  at art galleries; a third works a lot of theatre and show openings and again, get a lot of publication.  All this in London....

Edited by IanDavidson
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Robert M Estall said:

I know them both well, Ipswich is OK, but it ain't London! Not even close.

It will make him appreciate what he has got in London! 😃😃

Edited by geogphotos

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

It will make him appreciate what he has got in London! 😃😃

You can say that about quite a lot of places in the UK. I've lived in some of them...

Alan

13 hours ago, geogphotos said:

"Sir, when a man is tired of London, try Ipswich for a day"

I'm coming that way towards the end of September.  Ipswich I mean.  Fancy slumming it for a bit.😒

Allan

3 hours ago, Dave Richards said:

You can’t beat London. I’ve been photographing it for years and still barely ‘scratched the surface’.

You can be fined for that.

Allan