'Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life..'

I’ll be in London for a couple of days in October. I’m hoping to get around with my camera a bit, but also wondering if there an easy way to tell what areas are not suitable for stock photography due to restrictions. It looks like photos taken in the Royal Parks will be off limits for me unless I want to spend money on a permit (I don’t). 

5 minutes ago, Cecile Marion said:

I’ll be in London for a couple of days in October. I’m hoping to get around with my camera a bit, but also wondering if there an easy way to tell what areas are not suitable for stock photography due to restrictions. It looks like photos taken in the Royal Parks will be off limits for me unless I want to spend money on a permit (I don’t). 

Do not try to jump over the fence to get closer to 10 Downing Street !!!  😁

Edited by Ognyan Yosifov

My late wife and I were part of a small tour group that visited London some years ago.

A couple of things that stuck in my mind afterwards was - other than my wife falling and breaking her nose in front of Horse Guards at some notable location - was the apparent youthfulness of much of London's population that we saw on the streets.  And how most everyone seemed to wear mostly black or dark clothing.   Our small group of chatty Texan's stuck out like sore thumbs when riding the tube and most everywhere we went.  

My wife's fall busted the lens on her 35mm SLR as well as her nose.  A Bobby got her to a nearby hospital but she wasn't impressed with her treatment.

Edited by Phil
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Cecile Marion said:

It looks like photos taken in the Royal Parks will be off limits for me unless I want to spend money on a permit (I don’t). 

It's very unlikely that any images taken in the parks could be nailed down as having been taken in them. One tree and parched grass looks like any other.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Avpics said:

It's very unlikely that any images taken in the parks could be nailed down as having been taken in them. One tree and parched grass looks like any other.

How much is a permit as a matter of interest? Any idea?

8 hours ago, Jansos said:

How much is a permit as a matter of interest? Any idea?

£150 is mentioned as required for news coverage, headed by an image taken in the well known Mall Park? https://www.royalparks.org.uk/managing-the-parks/licences-and-permits/royal-parks-news-permit

Just a thought, but I assume those photographers who are using the steps of the Victoria Memorial signed releases for the image to be used commercially?

Edited by Avpics
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Avpics said:

£150 is mentioned as required for news coverage, headed by an image taken in the well known Mall Park? https://www.royalparks.org.uk/managing-the-parks/licences-and-permits/royal-parks-news-permit

I have had a parks permit for a few years.  However, the enforcement is patchy.  A lot of my London photographer colleagues don’t bother.  Speaking to a met officer she said they don’t enforce it, the Parks police do, and I have been challenged a couple of times by park staff.  The worst that can happen is you will be ordered to leave.  The price has just gone up to £150 (plus VAT) so frankly it does not make economic sense as in today’s climate you are unlikely to earn your money back….

• Love 1

15 hours ago, Ognyan Yosifov said:

Do not try to jump over the fence to get closer to 10 Downing Street !!!  😁

I remember the time when I was in London, 1962/3, I could wonder up Downing Street with camera in hand, (No fences then), and talk to the nice policeman outside number 10 then take some snaps.

Those were the days.

Wish I still had the film negs and slides from that period in my life.

Allan

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I remember the time when I was in London, 1962/3, I could wonder up Downing Street with camera in hand, (No fences then), and talk to the nice policeman outside number 10 then take some snaps.

Those were the days.

Wish I still had the film negs and slides from that period in my life.

Allan

It sounds quite romantic...