How is your August so far?

19 hours ago, rose22 said:

Alamy recommended to you what to shoot, maybe we should follow what they recommended 

What do they recommend? I've never even looked.  It's not worth spending a penny acquiring images in any case, let alone speculatively.

• Like 1

On 07/08/2022 at 19:37, John Mitchell said:

There's not much point in going around snapping subjects that have been done to death.

We used to say that it was if you had a decent rank, and I proceeded modestly along that path for some years. Now, though, I tend to agree. But then I've never recovered from the pandemic in terms of production. In 2016 I uploaded 1800 images. This year so far, 39.

19 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

Issue is many of us join Alamy because of their focus on editorial and educational imagery and now they are saying we should shoot "pretty marketing images", with no evidence of what revenue is, so not sure i am ready to invest in gear, props and models required for this.  

I think that Alamy will remain primarily an editorial agency even if it doesn't want to be one any longer, that is if Alamy doesn't succeed in committing harakiri with its new website, which is quite possible at this point. Personally, I have no interest in (or talent for) shooting "pretty marketing images," so I will continue to merrily bumble along. There are plus sides to getting old and curmudgeonly, I'm discovering. 👴

• Like 6

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

I think that Alamy will remain primarily an editorial agency even if it doesn't want to be one any longer, that is if Alamy doesn't succeed in committing harakiri with its new website, which is quite possible at this point. Personally, I have no interest in (or talent for) shooting "pretty marketing images," so I will continue to merrily bumble along. There are plus sides to getting old and curmudgeonly, I'm discovering. 👴

I agree, but i wish they understood that.  I had a set a photo i didn't have the opportunity to upload through LN from two events last couple of weeks, so you would think they would have interest in me uploading them, which obviously means using the Reportage track, but when you request access they seem to think this in mainly for Archive- like Reportage was actually Created for LN of people who lost LN access....  

considering a a quarter of my sales come from images loaded through the news stream, you would think Alamy would want more such images, but it seems no.  and don't get me going on the "may contain imperfection" note being a deterrent, LN images have that note, and it never affected , even on images that have no issues and i could have gotten through stock

oh well their loss.  Did manage to get some ready as LN, but missing quite a few niche images which are actually non existent on the database.  My impact of getting old, is i have no longer energy to fight it.....  

Edited by meanderingemu

On 10/08/2022 at 04:37, rose22 said:

should travel somewhere else to take great photos i am going to Philippines next year and i will shot every single thing 

Sorry to burst your bubble, but is never about going somewhere to take great photos. You will realise going out to unfamiliar to take picture is more difficult than doing it at your backyard. Have a theme, shoot in what you are interested in. Seems like you are living in Canda, is a huge potential out there for you to work on, am living on a tiny island, still I can shoot with a very specific theme in mind, build your visualisation too, it will help you to see better in your mind first. GL. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'm thinking of starting a new post: How Was Last Thursday for You between 2 and 4 PM?

SHhhhhhhh!

Allan

10 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

just got a low $$$ licence, slowly getting to the Silver level for the new Revenue Year based on Alamy interpretation of the agreement.  At this pace, might by end of Next month.  

I'm a bit confused by this.  When does the new revenue year start and finish ?

Thanks

16 minutes ago, ReeRay said:

I'm a bit confused by this.  When does the new revenue year start and finish ?

Thanks

The Calculation goes from July 1st to June 30, and due to a large cross year refund in July, Alamy claims that i am now  below zero in meeting my 2023 requirement (what is below Silver level?), though I am still waiting for clarification where they are getting their interpretation, since they even wrote that it's not "in the contract"- it all depends on the interpretation of "your total License Fees for that year, net of any refunds", since the refund does not relate to a Licence Fees for the year,

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

The Calculation goes from July 1st to June 30, and due to a large cross year refund in July, Alamy claims that i am now  below zero in meeting my 2023 requirement (what is below Silver level?), though I am still waiting for clarification where they are getting their interpretation, since they even wrote that it's not "in the contract"- it all depends on the interpretation of "your total License Fees for that year, net of any refunds", since the refund does not relate to a Licence Fees for the year,

Thank You

• Thanks 1

On 10/08/2022 at 20:06, rickygui said:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but is never about going somewhere to take great photos. You will realise going out to unfamiliar to take picture is more difficult than doing it at your backyard. Have a theme, shoot in what you are interested in. Seems like you are living in Canda, is a huge potential out there for you to work on, am living on a tiny island, still I can shoot with a very specific theme in mind, build your visualisation too, it will help you to see better in your mind first. GL. 

yeah i wanna go to playland and night market but to go this places you need money 

On 13/08/2022 at 17:04, rose22 said:

yeah i wanna go to playland and night market but to go this places you need money 

Theme parks don't usually allow you to use photos as stock.

I'm guessing (but may be wrong) that you mean this Playland:

https://www.pne.ca/playland-full-open/guest-services/conduct-courtesy

which says:

"Photography – Cameras and/or video cameras are not permitted on rides. Playland requires that all photographs or videos taken by guests be used for their personal enjoyment ONLY. Any use, reuse or reproduction for commercial purposes without the express written consent of Playland at the PNE is prohibited. While at The Fair, guests may be photographed or videotaped for future promotional efforts by the PNE."

Caveat vendor: there may (or may not) already be photos of Playland already in Alamy. Unlike some other agencies, Alamy doesn't reject images on content, and the supplier bears all responsibility. You may end up out more than the price of your entry ticket.

Or you might be able to negotiate consent, but don't hold your breath, and for sure don't pay more for consent than you're likely to earn.

In particular, be extremely wary of them reading on Alamy "The average image license fee on Alamy is $30" then insisting that they want $15 share per sale. In the first place, that $30 is gross, not your share (whic h would be a maximum of $12 for almost everyone). Secondly, that alleged $30 average gross includes Live News sales, which historically have sold for much more, but now even these prices are falling. Most (but not all) of us who do not supply Live News are averaging much less than $30 gross.

Or simply looking at the 'rack rates' on any Alamy photo page and asking for half of that.

Edited by Cryptoprocta
  • Like 6