What has happened to Alamy search results

I have just been doing a couple of searches and it seems like the diversification logarithm has gone to pot.

Searches now seem to be showing images obviously from the same photographer / shoot all bunched together rather than spread  throughout the results. I would have thought that this makes life a lot harder for the customer.

• Like 1

I may be completely wrong, but I have the feeling that the "re-rank" was Alamy dropping back to a previous version of software. There seems to have been several instances of different old behaviours since then, so perhaps there was an incident that forced them to revert the system. But that is just speculation.

3 hours ago, BobD said:

I have just been doing a couple of searches and it seems like the diversification logarithm has gone to pot.

Searches now seem to be showing images obviously from the same photographer / shoot all bunched together rather than spread  throughout the results. I would have thought that this makes life a lot harder for the customer.

I've noticed this happens at the end of the search results if the same photographer has A LOT of pictures in the specific search.

16 hours ago, Ognyan Yosifov said:

I've noticed this happens at the end of the search results if the same photographer has A LOT of pictures in the specific search.

Yes that was always the case but now it is happening throughout the results.

2 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

My test search shows the same 19 image spacing between my images as usual.

Mark

I never noticed that. I just checked and it is true for mine too... at least for a subject I have a lot of. Nice if I come up early because many images will be on the first page. Thanks for mentioning it.

Paulette

As an example a search for 'Tavira Portugal' the first 4 images are from 3 contributors.

Then from image 5 to image 36 are all from the same photographer.

After that the next 26 images are all from the same but different photographer.

A search for 'Madrid Spain' shows similar results.

Hardly a diverse and spaced out search.

Edited by BobD
updated

If fact a search for 'Madrid Spain' is totally ridiculous, the first 6 pages are taken up by mainly model shoots.

'Paris France' shows a first page of all tennis related images.

5 minutes ago, BobD said:

If fact a search for 'Madrid Spain' is totally ridiculous, the first 6 pages are taken up by mainly model shoots.

Bob, I  think you have the 'New' filter selected.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BobD said:

OOPS!, I don't know how that happened, I don't select a filter.☺️

It's a sort of a tab.

Just under where you have typed your search term are the words

New     Creative    Relevant

You can click on either.

Next to those are the other filters, each with a menu:

People   Location  Image  Viewpoint  Date taken  Advanced search

wim

8 hours ago, BobD said:

Madrid Spain for me (coming from a Nicaraguan IP address) shows architectural photos.  Same for Paris France (no commas in the searches).   No model released shots on the first page.

IP sensitive?   Country sensitive?   Or some random rotations?   Or filtering for new?  (I didn't pick a filter, either).

Edited by Rebecca Ore
more information

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Nodvandigtid said:

Odd looking today - all my views (288) have no zooms but  there are no total zooms either.

Anybody see any total zooms in their update?

As an observation, I had my first zoom this morning since the middle of last week. This is quite unusual for me to go that long with a nil zoom return. I do have zooms in the total column but they appear very spasmodic being a mixture of zeros higher numbers. It seems to be quite inconsistent since the 're-rank'.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Broad Norfolk said:

Today my main pseudo is all zeros in both zoom columns. This is now affecting my CTR and views are also dropping significantly. To me this is now more than an observation. Something is just not right.

Same here bar one or two exceptions.

Edited by ReeRay

On 02/06/2022 at 06:41, BobD said:

i know this was resolved as having the "New" tab, and all the image being from Live News, but this shows how Alamy lets the News Agency do whatever they want in the LN upload, and in total impunity.  Like the current Madrid Spain, starts with 39 image of the same model, in maybe 2/3 poses.....  and on and on......  

so much for

Make a tight edit.
a. Previsualise your shoot so you know the ultimate set of images you want to send.
b. Make sure you have a nice variety of overall (wide shots that tell the story), action,
reaction and details all in a combination of uprights and landscapes.

c. Make sure each picture is unique. DONOT SEND DUPLICATE OR SIMILAR FRAMES

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

Like the current Madrid Spain, starts with 39 image of the same model, in maybe 2/3 poses.....  and on and on......  

And I just searched with defaults and got all architectural for Madrid Spain.   Selecting "New" gets the results you got.

Edited by Rebecca Ore
more information
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rebecca Ore said:

And I just searched with defaults and got all architectural for Madrid Spain.   Selecting "New" gets the results you got.

how does that make the spamming OK, when Alamy's guidelines clearly states it isn't

If i was a buyer and this is what i faced, i wouldn't start trying other tabs, i would go elsewhere..... 

Edited by meanderingemu

2 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

how does that make the spamming OK, when Alamy's guidelines clearly states it isn't

If i was a buyer and this is what i faced, i wouldn't start trying other tabs, i would go elsewhere..... 

I suspect agencies get different rules, but yeah, it's flooding results for searches for new photos.

3 hours ago, Broad Norfolk said:

Today my main pseudo is all zeros in both zoom columns. This is now affecting my CTR and views are also dropping significantly. To me this is now more than an observation. Something is just not right.

Today I have 2 zooms and also rather less than normal views. The total number of searches resulting in any zooms is markedly down on the "norm". The last few days have also been intermittently reduced.

I am certain Measures is not working properly again.

Hopefully ALAMY can sort this out please?

Kumar

I don't know about Measures, but something behind the scenes has definitely changed for me. My sales numbers have fallen over 50% during the past two months after being consistent for several years. I'm hoping it's just a temporary blip, but...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

I don't know about Measures, but something behind the scenes has definitely changed for me. My sales numbers have fallen over 50% during the past two months after being consistent for several years. I'm hoping it's just a temporary blip, but...

John - how did the recent change in ranking affect you? (Not that that would be expected to affect sales yet...)

Kumar