I have been away for a few weeks and while I was gone I understand that the search engine has been reviewed and some form of re-rank has occurred.

I used to get anything between 400 and 600 views per day, most days.

Today just 76 views. 

I am an optimist by nature but the search engine tweaks will kill off any chance of sales for me, even with a largish portfolio.  Even with the old suspect BHZ  I was usually on the first couple of pages , now on page 19 so how will anyone see my images. I feel very depressed.

There was definitely a re-rank about 3 weeks ago. My main pseudonym fell quite markedly (if you still use BHZ properly, it fell from p3 to p9). This has been reflected in a reduction in views to about 70% of previous, and a corresponding reduction in zooms. Effects on sales will take 2-3 months to start filtering through I guess. 

This was the first formal re-rank for several years. Hopefully they will happen much more regularly in the future!

For info, proper use of BHZ is (to my understanding): One image per pseudonym, RM, with the BHZ  as a supertag and nowhere else. When searching for your BHZ image, search on RM images only, and 100 images per page.

Alamy would say that BHZ is outdated and irrelevant and many other things affect image placement, which I am sure is true, but it is still a moderately useful tool

Kumar

Edited by Doc
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

There was definitely a re-rank about 3 weeks ago. My main pseudonym fell quite markedly (if you still use BHZ properly, it fell from p3 to p9). This has been reflected in a reduction in views to about 70% of previous, and a corresponding reduction in zooms. Effects on sales will take 2-3 months to start filtering through I guess. 

This was the first formal re-rank for several years. Hopefully they will happen much more regularly in the future!

For info, proper use of BHZ is (to my understanding): One image per pseudonym, RM, with the BHZ  as a supertag and nowhere else. When searching for your BHZ image, search on RM images only, and 100 images per page.

Alamy would say that BHZ is outdated and irrelevant and many other things affect image placement, which I am sure is true, but it is still a moderately useful tool

Kumar

You got the rules exactly right Kumar. I dropped 2 pages.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Kumar

Curious, is there evidence that RM vs RF has impact?

1 hour ago, meanderingemu said:

Curious, is there evidence that RM vs RF has impact?

I don't know about now, but in the days when BHZ was set up the RF images skewed the results as they were slightly advantaged in the search engine at that time. 

With the changes that have happened in licensing since then, that may no longer be the case.

Kumar

• Thanks 1

Has anybody else seen that the results of a search changed when you refresh the page? Yesterday this happened all the time when I was researching what images were already there.

I had seen this before on occasions, but had dismissed it as a fluke.

wim

5 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Has anybody else seen that the results of a search changed when you refresh the page? Yesterday this happened all the time when I was researching what images were already there.

wim

Yes - glad you mentioned it as I thought I was imagining things

4 minutes ago, ReeRay said:

Yes - glad you mentioned it as I thought I was imagining things

Interesting. Let's see if it persists and what it would mean.

wim

My zooms are still higher than ever. But I’ve only made 2 sales this month…so far. It might take a couple of months before I can see a few of the zooms translate to sales.

I’ve never done BHZ, so I can’t tell anything from that. It’s possible my images moved up after the rerank, because the zoom increase happened about then.

I must admit I don’t pay much attention to views or anything else except zooms and sales. 

3 hours ago, wiskerke said:

wim

Yes - I fell from page 1 to lower level of page 7.

Then down to 8, and now moved higher up on page eight so something is going on.

I thought views were down during the dashboard glitch but they look back to normal - interesting though the number of searchers who don't go beyond 100 images.

Wait, watch and see 

22 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Interesting. Let's see if it persists and what it would mean.

wim

There's something strange going on with measures still. Yesterdays view show that I have 7 images from 200 views (2 pages) for a subject that has 2 million views in total.

I have NO images on the first 10 pages, let along the first 2 !

The 7 images shown are actually amongst a recent upload/pass. Go figure

Edited by ReeRay

51 minutes ago, ReeRay said:

There's something strange going on with measures still. Yesterdays view show that I have 7 images from 200 views (2 pages) for a subject that has 2 million views in total.

I have NO images on the first 10 pages, let along the first 2 !

The 7 images shown are actually amongst a recent upload/pass. Go figure

Set tab to New?

wim

24 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Set tab to New?

wim

No - It's measures views that are showing the amounts which do not figure in the search engine

Edited by ReeRay

35 minutes ago, ReeRay said:

No - It's measures views that are showing the amounts which do not figure in the search engine

If the client has set the tab to New, would your 7 images be on pages 1 and 2?

wim

21 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

If the client has set the tab to New, would your 7 images be on pages 1 and 2?

wim

My images referred to were uploaded and passed on the 16th May. The current search engine for "New" Thailand (search in question) shows many live news pages covering the elections of the 22nd May. My images are on page 7 of 100 in this search mode.

Edited by ReeRay

17 minutes ago, ReeRay said:

My images referred to were uploaded and passed on the 16th May. The current search engine for "New" Thailand (search in question) shows many live news pages covering the elections of the 22nd May. My images not in the first 10 pages in this search mode.

Suppose the news images only have come online overnight, could it be that your images would have been on pages 1 and 2? If I'm correct now they're at p6 and 7 @100 for Thailand.

(I tried Bangkok first, but that gave only 521,136 results.)

wim

10 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Suppose the news images only have come online overnight, could it be that your images would have been on pages 1 and 2? If I'm correct now they're at p6 and 7 @100 for Thailand.

(I tried Bangkok first, but that gave only 521,136 results.)

wim

Under "new" that's correct - interesting. Thanks for the clarification

Edited by ReeRay

21 hours ago, Tony ALS said:

19 views reported today...19!

This is the lowest I have seen since I started uploading.

I know it's a bank holiday today but these are for yesterday I guess🤷🏻‍♂️

My Views too were atrocious yesterday. Hoping it's only a blip.