May 2022 - Favourite uploads.

Apollo Pavilion, Peterlee, by Victor Pasmore, 1969. A reprocess of an old seller. Surprising what the 2012 LR process does to a jpeg from 2009.

The original, of course, remains, with a reference to this one. It's so unsharp by today's standards that I wouldn't submit a RAW this bad;)

2J70CT5.jpg

I didn't notice what the dog was doing (the Guardian and the county magazine didn't notice either) until an infringement case in which it had been photocopied from said magazine. The dog was lost in the centrefold, so was missing from the Photoshopped infringing image. That small oversight got me nearly 4 figures. It would have been more but I balked at suing a widow.

St. Botolphs, Iken, Suffolk. 

Same rare dedication as one in my home town.

When I first went in 1988 it had no floor. By 2002 it had one. Now it is flourishing. I'm sure with that story geog will allow me this one.

2J6W6GP.jpg

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 2

3 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I shot this fern yesterday while on a magazine shoot about a home garden in Virginia.  This is a common fern in the eastern U.S., does anyone know the Latin name for it?

Plantnet app says Boston fern nephrolepsis cordifolia but that's photographed off the screen and only a 1% probability. 

• Love 1

8 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I shot this fern yesterday while on a magazine shoot about a home garden in Virginia.  This is a common fern in the eastern U.S., does anyone know the Latin name for it?

plants-garden-gardens-fern-in-the-spring

8 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Plantnet app says Boston fern nephrolepsis cordifolia but that's photographed off the screen and only a 1% probability. 

I was thinking a New York Fern,  Parathelypteris noveboracensis, found throughout much of the United States and Canada, and  most common in the northeast, but as noted, they are really tricky to identify. So many look very much the same.  So, it's just a guess. I have ferns in my own yard I'm not sure of. Lovely fiddlehead! I was hoping Covid would be completely gone by now so I could take a botany class at the NY Botanical Garden. We had an amazing greenhouse at Smith College and I never took a botany class - would do things so differently today!  Raining again today - can't wait to get some nice weather to garden and shoot photos. 

• Love 1

6 hours ago, Cecile Marion said:

Fiddlehead fern came to my mind, rather than Boston, but my knowledge is slim and not to be trusted. 🙂

Fiddlehead is fern growth stage, and the part you eat.    There's a fiddlehead in the shot, but it's something else. 

Boston fern is a tropical fern, so wouldn't grow outdoors in Virginia year round. 

Parathelypteris noveboracensis has its Wikipedia page here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parathelypteris_noveboracensis 

Ferns are tricky. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NYCat said:

So wonderful, Gen. Thanks for sharing them.

Paulette

My pleasure. I spent many hours in a bird hide overlooking this wonderful wetland. It's just the end of the monsoon season in the north, so there is still quite a lot of water around. It was a bit tricky to get to it, definitely four wheel drive, so tourists haven't arrived yet. We had the hide to ourselves. Lots going on on the water, fights, families with ducklings, birds of prey harassing ducks. It was never boring. The frustrating bit was when a lovely flycatcher caught 3 yellow butterflies and ate them a metre from me. I was shooting with my 500mm lens! I could have touched him! I've got so mamy pix of fighting ducks, it's hard to select keepers.

• Love 1

On 07/05/2022 at 11:59, Michael Ventura said:

Great series Gen, wow!

+1

We took our granddaughter for a trip in the water taxi from Leeds railway station to the Armouries museum, used to be free, now infinitely more expensive at £1 per head ! Man fishing a useful accompaniment. 

a-leeds-dock-water-taxi-passes-under-the

• Love 2

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

+1

We took our granddaughter for a trip in the water taxi from Leeds railway station to the Armouries museum, used to be free, now infinitely more expensive at £1 per head ! Man fishing a useful accompaniment. 

Hope you don't mind the comment, but I'm getting a rather light image- is your monitor a bit dark? Could be me of course.

My version

Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by spacecadet

57 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Hope you don't mind the comment, but I'm getting a rather light image- is your monitor a bit dark? Could be me of course.

My version

No problem. The original was overexposed using my point and shoot Sony RX100, my error, but I tend to prefer them lighter rather than darker !  Looking at the two, my preference would be for somewhere between them I guess.

5 minutes ago, Bryan said:

No problem. The original was overexposed using my point and shoot Sony RX100, my error, but I tend to prefer them lighter rather than darker !  Looking at the two, my preference would be for somewhere between them I guess.

I would just slightly darken the sky only. Grad filter.

Allan

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I would just slightly darken the sky only. Grad filter.

Allan

That was my usual highlight reduction in LR ( and my secret sauce as well;)) but it has flattened the jpeg a bit- I would expect it to work better on the RAW. I was a fan of grads until I discovered it.

If there were any colour in the sky I might have done a bit on the blue in HSL, except those blu elements centre frame would have hurt the eyes. Maybe just an adjustment brush saturation boost over the sky.

There may be nicer things in LR now but I'm still on LR5.7.

Edited by spacecadet

4 hours ago, spacecadet said:

That was my usual highlight reduction in LR ( and my secret sauce as well;)) but it has flattened the jpeg a bit- I would expect it to work better on the RAW. I was a fan of grads until I discovered it.

If there were any colour in the sky I might have done a bit on the blue in HSL, except those blu elements centre frame would have hurt the eyes. Maybe just an adjustment brush saturation boost over the sky.

There may be nicer things in LR now but I'm still on LR5.7.

I usually work on the RAW in LR. The tools have com on in leaps since your version.

A touch of Haze removal would help the background a bit too. (More mid tones contrast) but only a touch.

Allan

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

I can't compete with all of those super exotic bird photos, but this one, taken in our back garden, took my fancy.

2J7K2NK.jpg

Beautiful image Bryan. Should do well in UK magazines.

• Love 1

Bryan, if you have Photoshop, there's a very effective tool that I suggest you explore to improve brightness levels and contrast.

Open Image at top of page > click on Adjustments > click on Brightness/Contrast.

I found this tool better, more intuitive, than those that come up earlier in LrC and PS. I look at my images there as my very last editing step.

Edo

• Love 1