May 2022 - Favourite uploads.

23 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

The year we took my mother with us on an east coast trip, on the way, Interstate 40, we picnicked on cold fried chicken on the east bank of the Mississippi near the Interstate watching the big boats go by.

10 min from there.

wim

• Love 1

30 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Spotted on a walk along the Cleveland Way near Whitby, I think that they are bullocks but cattle for sure

young-cattle-grazing-amongst-wildflowers

Looking at the one on extreme right I would say bullocks to the lot of them.

Allan

1 hour ago, Jill Morgan said:

Had a Baltimore Oriole breeding pair visit the feeder.  First they were kissing, then it was a fight for the Smuckers grape jelly.

male-and-female-baltimore-orioles-fighti

Jill

Foreplay I guess.

We argue over the chocolate but it never gets as far as beaks.

Edited by spacecadet

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Foreplay I guess.

We argue over the chocolate but it never gets as far as beaks.

I don't have anyone to argue with. Over anything.  It's ALL MINE.

Allan

Here's a few so far from this month.

Sizewell, Suffolk. Spotted above the beach rally. 

leiston-suffolk-uk-15th-may-2022-protest

From Glastonbury's May Day Beltane celebrations. Shame it rained most of the day.

glastonbury-somerset-uk-1st-may-2022-gla

During a relatively mild spring I was able to get my outdoor tomatoes off to a good start, here's a shot of the first flower trusses appearing on trailing/bush tomato Tumbler, taken yesterday.

first-truss-of-flowers-appearing-on-outd

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

During a relatively mild spring I was able to get my outdoor tomatoes off to a good start, here's a shot of the first flower trusses appearing on trailing/bush tomato Tumbler, taken yesterday.

first-truss-of-flowers-appearing-on-outd

Do you go round with a feather pollinating the flowers?

Allan

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Do you go round with a feather pollinating the flowers?

Allan

My grandfather used to use a rabbit's tail tied to the end of a stick to pollenate the flowers, but I haven't found it necessary to hand pollinate tomatoes.  This brings back memories of him, of whom I was very fond,  in his large home made greenhouse, the scent of tomatoes and pipe smoke takes me back to my childhood. I can recall some of his gardening advice, such as drown in the cabbages when planting out, and plant one for yourself and one for the birds.

• Love 3

5 hours ago, Bryan said:

My grandfather used to use a rabbit's tail tied to the end of a stick to pollenate the flowers, but I haven't found it necessary to hand pollinate tomatoes.  This brings back memories of him, of whom I was very fond,  in his large home made greenhouse, the scent of tomatoes and pipe smoke takes me back to my childhood. I can recall some of his gardening advice, such as drown in the cabbages when planting out, and plant one for yourself and one for the birds.

And another 20 for the cabbage white.

Allan

• Like 1

This set of pics was taken during Aboriginal cooking classes at the Taste of Kakadu Festival, Northern Territory, Australia

Water lilies

2J9JKC6.jpg

Water lilies roots being chopped, green ants in the bowl

2J9JKC9.jpg

Gathering green ants for the salad

2J9JKDA.jpg

Aboriginal guide teaching tourists how to catch green ants for the salad. They do bite!

2J9JKDC.jpg

Barramundi fish will be stuffed with silver eucalyptus and lemongrass and cooked on embers

2J9JKA4.jpg

The finished dish: barramundi fish, buffalo meat, damper (bread), star fruit, water lilies, yams, green ants. De-li-cious!!

2J9JKFR.jpg

• Love 4
  • Like 1

On 06/05/2022 at 07:24, Michael Ventura said:

I shot this fern yesterday while on a magazine shoot about a home garden in Virginia.  This is a common fern in the eastern U.S., does anyone know the Latin name for it?

plants-garden-gardens-fern-in-the-spring

ostrich fern. common.  they look like ostrich feathers due to tapered shape, much bigger than new york fern of same shape. the most common fern to get if you want a big fern looking fern in your garden

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, gvallee said:

This set of pics was taken during Aboriginal cooking classes at the Taste of Kakadu Festival, Northern Territory, Australia

Water lilies

<>

Water lilies roots being chopped, green ants in the bowl

<>

Gathering green ants for the salad

<>

Aboriginal guide teaching tourists how to catch green ants for the salad. They do bite!

<>

Barramundi fish will be stuffed with silver eucalyptus and lemongrass and cooked on embers

<>

The finished dish: barramundi fish, buffalo meat, damper (bread), star fruit, water lilies, yams, green ants. De-li-cious!!

2J9JKFR.jpg

What!? No grubs?

😁 

Great set! Fantastic food! Wish I was there.

wim

7 hours ago, wiskerke said:

What!? No grubs?

😁 

Great set! Fantastic food! Wish I was there.

wim

The meal was wetlands food, no grub there. Aborigines used to catch ducks by going under water (in croc country), breathing through a reed, and pulling a duck down by the legs. To catch a goose, they would climb up to the top of a tree and hit the bird with a stick when flying over. 

The cooking classes and meal were a truly magnificent experience. I have a lot more pictures but I can't upload them all. On Saturday night, at the same location in the forest, they have another event which is fully booked: dinner under the stars with didgeridoo playing. I am crushed.

The beautiful Keep River National Park, Northern Territory, Australia, a bushwalking paradise

2J9PAYK.jpg

Boabs along the rough walking trail 

2J9PAMD.jpg

Spinifex

2J9PAT4.jpg

2J9PB2E.jpg

• Love 1

I love when assignments have me up and out of the house early, since otherwise I wouldn't have the motivation.  Yesterday I had a shoot at the Lincoln Memorial, in DC, at 8am.  It's been photographed millions of times but I liked this one I took while walking back to my car.

usa-washington-dc-lincoln-memorial-at-th

• Love 3

I’ve always liked that angle. Years ago I took a photo with a cheap point and shoot from about that very spot, but it would certainly never come anywhere close to matching the perfect beauty of yours, Michael. Lovely!

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Cecile Marion said:

I’ve always liked that angle. Years ago I took a photo with a cheap point and shoot from about that very spot, but it would certainly never come anywhere close to matching the perfect beauty of yours, Michael. Lovely!

Thank you Cecile!!

Washington is a beautiful city when you look away from the politics 😒

Edited by Michael Ventura
  • Like 1

On 25/05/2022 at 01:03, gvallee said:

The beautiful Keep River National Park, Northern Territory, Australia, a bushwalking paradise

2J9PAYK.jpg

Oooops!  Read that as "a bushwhacking paradise".

Allan

Forgot a few.

Margery Allingham's house

2J75EDD.jpg

Felix Dance Band, 1927. The pianist is my grand uncle.

2J6MRPK.jpg

Bonzo Band, 1927. I have the names but they mean nothing to me. Except I've just found a reference to the family in the county archive. Hmm.

2J6MRR2.jpg

Posh friends of my grandmother, about 1930

2J6MRGC.jpg

.............and chap third from left with his wartime bride, 1941

2J6MRPP.jpg

Friend of my grandmother's, about 1935, tinted

2J6MRPE.jpg

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

OK! You asked for it. Oh no I didn't.

Late QC so just made it with these eight photos from my last uploads of 36 images in May.

People seated resting at midway point on Steep Hill Lincoln

people-seated-resting-at-midway-point-on-steep-hill-lincoln-2022-2J7XWJK.jpg

Window cleaner on ladder cleaning windows Steep Hill Lincoln

window-cleaner-on-ladder-cleaning-windows-steep-hill-lincoln-city-old-town-2022-2J7XWRE.jpg

The Usher Gallery from danesgate Lincoln

the-usher-gallery-from-danesgate-2022-2J7XWN5.jpg

Student with electric blue hair with friend Steep Hill Lincoln

student-with-electric-blue-hair-with-friend-steep-hill-lincoln-2022-2J86X2A.jpg

Note man leaning back following leaning lamp post.

The Cardinals Hat public house and restaurant top of High street Lincolnthe-cardinals-hat-public-house-and-restaurant-top-of-high-street-lincoln-city-2022-2J86X3H.jpg

Woman asleep on bench seat Castle Hill Lincoln

woman-asleep-on-bench-seat-castle-hill-lincoln-city-2022-2J8TK46.jpg

Strelitzia flower or Bird of Paradise flower

strelitzia-flower-or-bird-of-paradise-flower-2J8TK28.jpg

Lucy Tower part of the wall and fortifications of Lincoln Castle

lucy-tower-part-of-the-wall-and-fortifications-of-lincoln-castle-2022-2J8TK0B.jpg

That's all folks.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 1