Image sales to Russia

It seems that (only on request) Alamy is able set 'Geo-Restrictions', thus preventing your images being seen and sold in Russia, for anyone who wishes to make this minuscule gesture of solidarity with Ukraine. Email contributors@alamy.com

Alex

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Alex Ramsay said:

It seems that (only on request) Alamy is able set 'Geo-Restrictions', thus preventing your images being seen and sold in Russia, for anyone who wishes to make this minuscule gesture of solidarity with Ukraine. Email contributors@alamy.com

Alex

Thanks for that.  Still wish Alamy had at least done the simple process of allowing removing Russian and Belorussian distributors immediately, but this is a start.  

• Love 1
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Vincent Lowe said:

A possible alternative - don't restrict sales but pledge that any income from Russian and Belorussian sales would be sent to aid Ukraine refugees?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60562260

Just reading in the Guardian that "more than £100m has been raised by the UK public".  I've added my donation, via DEC.

• Love 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Just reading in the Guardian that "more than £100m has been raised by the UK public".  I've added my donation, via DEC.

So have I.  I checked my records and I've only had nine sales to the Russian Federation totaling £70.03 net.  I've donated this, plus some extra, to DEC. 

• Love 1
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

Thanks for that.  Still wish Alamy had at least done the simple process of allowing removing Russian and Belorussian distributors immediately, but this is a start.  

Why don't you set up a pole page and when you get to a certain figure alamy agrees to do what you ask?

Allan

It would be nice to read a statement from Alamy about this unprovoked and unlawful slaughter of civilians.

Many big companies (Microsoft, Ikea, Google.. ) have acted with sanctions and/or donations, is there anthing Alamy can do to help?

• Like 2

Ukrainian foreign minister Dmytro Kuleba has called for a global boycott of international companies that have kept their operations open in Russia, Reuters reports.

In a briefing today, Kuleba said sanctions pressure should be increased on Russia and called for international ports to bar passage to Russian ships and cargo.

Kuleba said:

International businesses must leave Russia, both for moral and practical reasons.

• Like 5

Agreed. Alamy should provide a statement on its dealings with any Russian agency. 

I am sure that the vast majority of contributors would not want their images to benefit any Russian agency or business.

Quite apart from which there is always a possibility that an image could be used to promote the Russian government lies.  

Edited by BobD
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, BobD said:

Agreed. Alamy should provide a statement on its dealings with any Russian agency. 

I am sure that the vast majority of contributors would not want their images to benefit any Russian agency or business.

Quite apart from which there is always a possibility that an image could be used to promote the Russian government lies.  

I agree that Alamy needs to clarify its position. However, something to consider is that Alamy images are a source of legitimate coverage of the war in Ukraine and of protests around the world. Contributors' images could be used for propaganda purposes as you suggest, but they might also help educate people inside Russia about what is really going on. It's a bit of a double-edged sword as these things often are.

P.S. How many Russian distributors are there? I've only been able to find three.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Nodvandigtid said:

Should Kremlin Pool, Tass, Itar-Tass images not be removed by Alamy?

There was a thread about this a fortnight ago. As a result the propaganda images with contentious captions (lies in other words) seem to have disappeared from the news feed, at least. Obviously Alamy would have to abide by any future sanctions.

Edited by spacecadet

11 hours ago, Robert M Estall said:

One thing for sure; if you sell a photo to Russia you ain't going to be paid. They never were much cop at paying for rights, and now they couldn't pay even if they wanted.

I can safely estimate 2 of my recent uploads certainly wouldn’t be licensed by the Russian state. No worries there.