Three years on - 30 Keys article

Many new Alamites have arrived since I wrote the dphotoexpert blog page '30 Keys' to stock photography. I was asked today by a new recruit who had seen it back in 2010 when it was published, to remind him of the URL, so I took a look at it again - I saw no reason to revise any of the content, either, things are much the same.

Here's the article:

http://www.dphotoexpert.com/2010/12/31/thirty-keys-to-stock-photography/

Hope it helps!

David

That's a very good, well-thought-out article, David. Happily, I practice many of the suggestions, but a few were eye-opening.  Black&White! Who'd have thought? I just assumed that people were being pretentious shooting digital B&W.  Me, who spent most of my early years shooting B&W should have known.  Bracketing? With film, when doing that key Big Pic at the dusk of the day, I would always bracketed an entire roll of color, sometimes two rolls. Also, with film, I used to have a few hundred suns and moons ready to sandwich with scenes. 

I've been a suggester of bright, upbeat lighting, too. Too many shots by too many Alamy members are too dark for main stream stock. (You notice I never say IMO . . . if I use others' opinions I use quotes.) 

Robert Capa is credited with saying, "If your pictures are not good enough, you're not close enough."  But he may well have been quoting a source from an earlier time. 

From one finger-style guitar player to another, thanks so much, David. 

Many new Alamites have arrived since I wrote the dphotoexpert blog page '30 Keys' to stock photography. I was asked today by a new recruit who had seen it back in 2010 when it was published, to remind him of the URL, so I took a look at it again - I saw no reason to revise any of the content, either, things are much the same.

Here's the article:

Hope it helps!

David

David!

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Very interesting and useful.

Mirco

Looks very instructive as always, David. I've bookmarked your article for later study. Thanks.

Regarding black and white, I've found that it does quite well on POD websites. I've made several b&w print sales through FAA. Someone actually zoomed one of my b&w images on Alamy (a first) recently. So you never know, we may be completing the circle.

"The most important lesson I ever learned in photography was the simplest – you can not take a picture without being there."

Just have to add another vote of thanks. Well written article- Of course it's nothing new; just seemingly simple things we all know but often forget when it counts!

Good to be reminded. Has me reviewing a few recent shots.  :)

-Jason

As usual great advice David and I will be re-reading it several times and creating my own notes and ideas.

Much of it is not new to me but I have not always (or even often) paid proper attention, had forgotten it or just got sloppy. Fortunately your pointing out this piece is timely as I am actually working to raise my photographic game now I can work at it as full time as I wish.

Thank you, these comments and other ideas will play a major part in my business plan for 2014.

'Fraid so, I thought I ought to stop hiding behind my logo!

Sorry but you did know we were contemporaries from our comparing notes about magazines from the 70s that you and DK edited. It was always likely!

I recently scanned a "selfie" from 1970, my beard is  that old. Now that young geezer with a beard was REALLY SCARY!

This is beginning to remind of my first camera club!

But back to the thread. I am going to summarise the ideas in David's article down to a the key points and print them on a 6x4 card that can live in my camera bags to use as a jogger whenever I need encouragement.

^^^ Oh gawd, Martin, not another old geezer with a beard. It's like looking in a mirror... :unsure:

Any old farts here who don't have beards besides me?

Alan

If I thought it would do any good I'd have a shave. :unsure:

Allan

^^^ Oh gawd, Martin, not another old geezer with a beard. It's like looking in a mirror... :unsure:

Any old farts here who don't have beards besides me?

Alan

Maybe I should grow one again, saves time in the bathroom in the morning. ;)

I found the article refreshing. It also confirmed thoughts I had from reading stuff on here. Refreshing as a new way to think about it, but confirmation of how little time I actually put into it, the time it needs and thought it needs. Not to mention the experience needed to create the images. 

When I first joined Alamy under the News scheme, I thought it was just a news site like others. I then realised it was a stock agency too. I tried my hand at it, as you can see very early on in my portfolio. I used my good lady's dentistry instruments and set to work on grabbing some 'stock' images based on what I saw on sites before, but in my own way. I then started taking pictures of my guinea pigs too but they were mostly rubbish. 

I'm in no way a stock or news photographer. I get lucky with the news sometimes, and I'll sell a picture. I've sold 2 stock pictures since I joined, and I can accept that I'm not really very good at coming up with a good conceptual idea that will appeal to buyers.

Here's the article:

Hope it helps!

David

;-)

Archived