September 2021 Favourite Uploads

aphperspective

28 minutes ago, Dave Richards said:

Thanks Gillian. I am using Google Chrome. How do you source the image to start with? Maybe I'm missing a trick there. I've tried drag and drop, copy and paste but nothing sticks in the dialogue box.

I put the image code into the search box in the Alamy homepage or in My Alamy to open the image, then click on the image, and then click on enlarge. Then it can be dragged into the forum (open in a different window).

25 minutes ago, VbFolly said:

I put the image code into the search box in the Alamy homepage or in My Alamy to open the image, then click on the image, and then click on enlarge. Then it can be dragged into the forum (open in a different window).

Bingo!!!! That works, thanks Gillian. I was copying to my desktop and then trying to drag and drop from there which didn't work. I'm not the best with the mysteries of computers.

tour-guide-and-tour-group-stand-on-the-pavement-outside-the-colourful-jungle-theme-decorated-frontage-of-annabels-club-berkeley-square-london-uk-2GJHRTJ.jpg

Edited by Dave Richards
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Dave Richards said:

copying to my desktop and then trying to drag and drop from there which didn't work.

FYI, the image has to be hosted (have its own web address) so that the forum page can find it on the internet and insert it on your post. It can't do that from your desktop. Hope this helps.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dave Richards said:

Bingo!!!! That works, thanks Gillian. I was copying to my desktop and then trying to drag and drop from there which didn't work. I'm not the best with the mysteries of computers.

tour-guide-and-tour-group-stand-on-the-pavement-outside-the-colourful-jungle-theme-decorated-frontage-of-annabels-club-berkeley-square-london-uk-2GJHRTJ.jpg

You're welcome, Dave. I'm glad you got it to work. Lovely colourful image!

• Thanks 1

Not a beautiful thing, a brutalist coal bunker at a steel works. I spotted this heading past in the train and then shot it on the return journey through the train window.  Unknown to me at the time, a couple of days later it was to be controversially demolished - its listed status being revoked.  There were photos in the papers, but not mine, late to the party and not eligible for live news. 🙃

dorman-long-tower-a-listed-structure-tha

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Not a beautiful thing, a brutalist coal bunker at a steel works. I spotted this heading past in the train and then shot it on the return journey through the train window.  Unknown to me at the time, a couple of days later it was to be controversially demolished - its listed status being revoked.  There were photos in the papers, but not mine, late to the party and not eligible for live news. 🙃

dorman-long-tower-a-listed-structure-tha

Yes a very suspect process, demolished in secret at dead of night.

It's now archive, alas.

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Thanks, Chuck.

That's a film conversion and as far as I recall it's been on Alamy for a long time. 

Edo, great pic. To be fair, I misread your post too, assumed you'd only just posted it. Ahhh.... modern day attention spans...

15 minutes ago, cbimages said:

The male Satin Bowerbird I've been visiting was doing a spot of bower maintenance

male-satin-bowerbird-ptilonorhynchus-violaceus-building-his-bower-these-birds-use-a-bower-made-of-sticks-decorated-with-blue-and-yellow-objects-2GMRYCE.jpg

Great shot! They are amazing birds, I love their purple eyes.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

Great shot! They are amazing birds, I love their purple eyes.

Thanks Gen. We had a male with a bower next door to our fence for years. We and the neighbours called him "Blackie" and he came when we called. I used to chop a little apple or pear for him most days and would go into yard and he'd fly onto the fence when I called and then down next to his bower. The neighbours did better and hand fed him chopped grape. Very sadly, a cat got him a couple of years ago, but now the neighbour on the other side has a bower - one of Blackie's sons no doubt. We have up to a dozen at a time on our bird feeding/bathing area waiting for one of the three birdbaths to be available for them, Mostly green females and immature males but we also have one who is turning black now. He's quite skittish though, and hasn't allowed me to get a photo "yet".

1 minute ago, cbimages said:

Thanks Gen. We had a male with a bower next door to our fence for years. We and the neighbours called him "Blackie" and he came when we called. I used to chop a little apple or pear for him most days and would go into yard and he'd fly onto the fence when I called and then down next to his bower. The neighbours did better and hand fed him chopped grape. Very sadly, a cat got him a couple of years ago, but now the neighbour on the other side has a bower - one of Blackie's sons no doubt. We have up to a dozen at a time on our bird feeding/bathing area waiting for one of the three birdbaths to be available for them, Mostly green females and immature males but we also have one who is turning black now. He's quite skittish though, and hasn't allowed me to get a photo "yet".

What a wonderful story! Sad end though, I would have been gutted. I've lost track of the number of times I laid on my stomach trying to get the perfect 'see through' picture of the bower with the decorations in the foreground. I found the Great Bowerbird species very accommodating, not shy at all. I even got one coming to display underneath my chair. I kept telling him 'stand back, you're below the minimum focusing distance!' I love watching them doing their silly droopy wings dance, purple crest erect. Such a joy to watch!

• Love 1

On 21/09/2021 at 15:18, spacecadet said:

FYI, the image has to be hosted (have its own web address) so that the forum page can find it on the internet and insert it on your post. It can't do that from your desktop. Hope this helps.

Thanks Mark. Have got it sorted now. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, gvallee said:

What a wonderful story! Sad end though, I would have been gutted. I've lost track of the number of times I laid on my stomach trying to get the perfect 'see through' picture of the bower with the decorations in the foreground. I found the Great Bowerbird species very accommodating, not shy at all. I even got one coming to display underneath my chair. I kept telling him 'stand back, you're below the minimum focusing distance!' I love watching them doing their silly droopy wings dance, purple crest erect. Such a joy to watch!

It’s amazing what one learns about bird behavior through the lens of a camera, or camera down waiting for an opportunity.  The courting is especially wonderful.

• Love 1

Historical buildings in the old goldmining town of Cue, Western Australia

2GNNKHP.jpg

Old goldminers' cottages, Cue, Western Australia

2GNNKJP.jpg

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 1
  • Like 1