September 2021 Favourite Uploads

aphperspective

1 hour ago, aphperspective said:

How do I delete this image I wan't to move it to the correct thread (your thread you started and thats not showing on my end either)😥

You can edit the post, but you can't get rid of the thread unfortunately. You could ask Alamy to delete it.

Native Dawson's Burrowing Bees (Amegilla dawsoni) are a large bee species that nest in the arid claypans of Western Australia.
The bees' life cycle starts in July and involves the alpha males emerging from burrows first. Then a couple of months later, the females emerge to the mother of all battles as the huge, aggressive alpha males fight to the death to be the one to mate. Most of the males and even a few females die in the process.
The fertilised females then excavate a 35cm tunnel into the claypan in aggregations of scores to hundreds of burrows and construct brood chambers. The chamber walls are waxed, the young laid, and a store of nectar and pollen added for nourishment when the young emerge 11 months later. Their job done, the female bees then die by September.

2GK3D11.jpg

2GK3D15.jpg

2GK3D1R.jpg

2GK3D18.jpg

• Love 2
  • Like 2

Little Corellas (Cacatua pastinator) play fighting, Western Australia

2GKB60D.jpg

A threatened species.

A male Purple-crowned Fairywren (Malurus coronatus), Western Australia

2GKB5YG.jpg

Great Bowerbird (Chlamydera nuchalis) with a Butterfly Pea Flower

The Kimberley, Western Australia

2GKB5YM.jpg

Male Crimson Finch (Neochmia phaeton)

Western Australia

2GKB603.jpg

• Love 4
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Amazing, Gen. What a place to live and great images.

Paulette.

Thank you Paulette. We were extremely lucky to witness the Dawson's Burrowing Bees. They only live in specific parts of northern Western Australia near claypans. We were there by chance at the right place at the right time. We spent a couple of hours watching them over two days.

David Attenborough captured spectacular footage of the Dawson's Burrowing Bees for the BBC series LIFE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtpECWl-5v4

To see the Purple-crowned Fairywrens, we especially went to stay in an awesome remote reserve owned by the Australia Wildlife Conservancy. 

Feeling blessed in Australia.

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 1

Drying claypan in Kennedy Range National Park, Western Australia. And yes, it really IS that colour.

2GKBC45.jpg

Honeycomb Gorge, Kennedy Range National Park, Western Australia

2GKBC9X.jpg

Desert bloom in Western Australia between July and September

2GKBCA9.jpg

• Love 5

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Fascinating bees, gorgeous birds and outstanding scenery. And as the stupid say, “that camera really takes good pictures, doesn’t it?” 😂😁🤣

Good job, Gen, you rock.

Aww shucks! So much to see and enjoy in Australia, it's a privilege to be full time on the road, or preferably off-road, and fill our senses with these beauties.  There are exceptions of course, we're just back from the beach where a storm brought tons of seaweed, it's a real stink! Still there were oystercatchers and gulls to observe. And it's nearly Happy Hour now!! Life is good.

• Love 2

11 hours ago, Dave Richards said:

I would like to participate but I cannot get an image to stick in the dialogue box.

I've done it in the past, but whatever I try now simply won't work. Can anyone give me a clue as to what is going on?

Have you tried a different browser? I just drag and drop the image from a different window into here using Google Chrome.

22 hours ago, Dave Richards said:

I would like to participate but I cannot get an image to stick in the dialogue box.

I've done it in the past, but whatever I try now simply won't work. Can anyone give me a clue as to what is going on?

I drag and drop - Firefox. 

11 hours ago, VbFolly said:

Have you tried a different browser? I just drag and drop the image from a different window into here using Google Chrome.

Thanks Gillian. I am using Google Chrome. How do you source the image to start with? Maybe I'm missing a trick there. I've tried drag and drop, copy and paste but nothing sticks in the dialogue box.

Edited by Dave Richards
added text.