Is it just me?

Allan Bell

Question

Or has anyone else got the impression that there seems to be less threads and posts on the forums since the new contract came into force?

Allan

• Love 1
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Ed Rooney said:

Alamy has been closing these storage-fee complaint threads.

Yes but they are not stopping people posting a thread in the first place. It just seems there are less replies coming in.

Allan

• Like 1

I suppose many forum contributors have walked away, and those that are left are disillusioned. 

In a sense any post and any upload is almost tacit acceptance of what Alamy has done and what they might do in the future.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

My storage fee has just been cancelled and I'm back in the black. Dio Mio! Do we need this extra stress? 

Definitely NOT!

Allan

22 minutes ago, Gorilla Dave said:

apologies for not paying attention - but what is this 'storage fee' you speak of ?

GD

Over the weekend several members had amounts deducted from their accounts, in some cases thousands of dollars, for "storage fees" which Alamy used to levy on certain commission plans. This has now been reversed, but there is some suspicion that it was a future policy that escaped from testing prematurely. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, DJ Myford said:

Over the weekend several members had amounts deducted from their accounts, in some cases thousands of dollars, for "storage fees" which Alamy used to levy on certain commission plans. This has now been reversed, but there is some suspicion that it was a future policy that escaped from testing prematurely. 

Many thanks DJ. 

I'll not join in the specualtion about the political affiliation of any rats thay may be involved !

GD

32 minutes ago, DJ Myford said:

The fact that they didn't offer some explanation of why it might have happened, or reassurance that it definitely wasn't in future plans before simply locking the thread has got my back up to be honest. Seems to be a recurring theme whenever anything crops up that calls our relationship with Alamy into question and is no doubt an operational/management decision to just lock and walk away.

• Love 2
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

there seems to be less threads and posts on the forums

"Fewer threads", Allan. Fewer. Perhaps all the other linguistic pedants have deserted the forum. 😄 😎

Edited by John Morrison
Can't even spell 'Allan' right...
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I suppose many forum contributors have walked away, and those that are left are disillusioned. 

In a sense any post and any upload is almost tacit acceptance of what Alamy has done and what they might do in the future.

This is exactly it. 

I posted something similar a week or so ago, Allan. I said the life seemed to be gone from the forum. Part of that is because so many people left, good people, (and we miss them and their posts) and the rest of us are disheartened.
There doesn’t seem to be many good things happening with our relationship with Alamy, and the bad things we post about, which are most prevalent, are soon locked.

It seems the only thing we have going is the Good Thing and Bad Thing threads, and frankly, I wonder when those will be squashed as irrelevant to stock.

There is no relationship anymore, at least one we can feel good or comfortable about. The “bad thing” is I fear it could eventually kill Alamy. There is little good will left among us.

• Love 4

3 hours ago, John Morrison said:

"Fewer threads", Allan. Fewer. Perhaps all the other linguistic pedants have deserted the forum. 😄 😎

Not all. I'm still here and I did notice it when I read the thread earlier but declined to comment. 

47 minutes ago, MDM said:

Not all. I'm still here and I did notice it when I read the thread earlier but declined to comment. 

FEWER THREADS.😮

There! Is that better.   I was looking for the correct wording but it would not come to mind.   It's and age related thing you know.

Allan

6 hours ago, Cal said:

The fact that they didn't offer some explanation of why it might have happened, or reassurance that it definitely wasn't in future plans before simply locking the thread has got my back up to be honest. Seems to be a recurring theme whenever anything crops up that calls our relationship with Alamy into question and is no doubt an operational/management decision to just lock and walk away.

Be fair, it would take a lot of time to make up a spin for the 'storage fee' occurrence.

And would people necessary believe their explanation or assurances, given their previous 'assurance' that our share of the pie wouldn't be reduced when PA took over? (though to be fair, as they only said they had no intention of reducing our share, that was only ever going to be temporary, until they made the decision.)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Or has anyone else got the impression that there seems to be less threads and posts on the forums since the new contract came into force?

Allan

Just about everything which is happening on Alamy now - commission cuts, lower prices, site problems, unfortunate leaks of possible forward plans, lowering of forum interest -all echo what happened in my 'other place' a few years back. The only thing which 'so far' isn't directly matching is rapidly lowering sales across the board.

Edited by Cryptoprocta
  • Like 1

Ignore them Allan...

When did you see: 

"I have been to Lincoln at the fewest ten times"

Or a supermarket checkout saying " Ten items or fewer"

In other words, don't worry about those people who seem to want to correct others.

Language is how it is used.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1
  • Like 2
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Ignore them Allan...

When did you see: 

"I have been to Lincoln at the fewest ten times"

Or a supermarket checkout saying " Ten items of fewer"

The Cambridge Guide to English Usage notes that the "pressure to substitute fewer for less seems to have developed out of all proportion to the ambiguity it may provide in noun phrases like less promising results". It describes conformance with this pressure as a shibboleth and the choice "between the more formal fewer and the more spontaneous less" as a stylistic choice.

In other words  don't worry about those people who seem to worry so much.

Oh I'm not worried at all, but I do like to have a bit of fun with them.😉

Allan