The Curse of the Covid Mask

Having not taken any editorial images since last March (2020), I'm eager to go, but the majority of images of people will have at least one mask in the scene.  And buildings tend to include a sign of some kind regarding covid precautions.   This temporary blotch on editorial images is making it hard, I'm sure for all.  These 'covid' shots will be worthless in a few months or a year.

My whine for the day.

Michael

• Like 1
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, MilesbeforeIsleep said:

the majority of images of people will have at least one mask in the scene.

Worry not. With luck we may have another global pandemic... and your pix will be relevent again. 😎

10 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Worry not. With luck we may have another global pandemic... and your pix will be relevent again. 😎

And don't forget to mask up in public indoors or you may never see the next pandemic or the end of this one - scheduled for June 21 in England - St Sentit-Packing Day I believe.   

Edited by MDM

11 minutes ago, Avpics said:

The masks tell a story. There'll be a time [hopefully] when it's history, and editors will look for editorial images depicting that period in time.

Yes but by that time, we will be thrilled to be getting ¢¢¢ sales while no longer seeing $$$ sales. 😬

• Like 1

On 02/06/2021 at 18:44, John Mitchell said:

I have a growing collection of people's rear ends. 😎

This is probably a good thing. At least I don't have to worry about model releases, etc.

Oi, my rear end is protected by coproright.

Alan

When I wear a mask, I often get a lot of paper/fabric fibers on my glasses, so there are a lot of particles moving around when you breathe. On glasses, in lungs, up nose,...

Photos of some Asian cities have had people wearing masks for years. 

I think we have by now become accustomed to that all over the world. 

I don't think that the OP should stop taking photos because coronavirus will somehow invalidate them in the future. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Photos of some Asian cities have had people wearing masks for years. 

I think we have by now become accustomed to that all over the world. 

I don't think that the OP should stop taking photos because coronavirus will somehow invalidate them in the future. 

True, I was in China in the early 90s and many people wore clothe masks then....mostly in the big cities like Beijing and Shanghai.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

True, I was in China in the early 90s and many people wore clothe masks then....mostly in the big cities like Beijing and Shanghai.

same in Japan.  As soon as someone didn't feel well they would wear a mask out of respect of others.  

I've have people in my social network circles who say they are going to continue wearing masks, especially during flu and cold seasons - which I think is a good thing. So, photos may not be as outdated as you think. It may be one of those things that we retain from the pandemic. 

Agreed on the curse part.

As a glasses wearer it took me months to get used to, and mitigate, the steaming-up but there's no way to get rid of the hot sweaty feeling particularly just now.

Had mine not been made by the Beautiful Daughter I would have resolved to burn it at the earliest opportunity and dance on the ashes. I may well do that to the one I wore on set recently.

Edited by spacecadet

I don't wear glasses with the masks.  However, I am now in the fourth week of a bad eye/skin infection probably caused by wearing the dam things.  Three lots of different antibiotics, lotions and potions galore and still can't get a face to face with the GP, fed up of uploading selfies yet again, to be told oh it looks like a skin infection, I may need to be referred to a dermatologist.  Wow that's good I thought until the GP told me it would be through them i.e. they would send the pics to whoever and get back to me.  I will now seek out a private appointment with a dermatologist.  When I found a couple on line today even then the earliest appointment is 5 days away!  Someone suggested I go to A & E - no I don't want to sit there for hours wearing a dam mask and hope there is a dermatologist available.  So I will join anyone in the mask burning when the time comes...   If others choose to wear them when they aren't compulsory I don't have a problem with that either.

Carol

2 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

I don't wear glasses with the masks.  However, I am now in the fourth week of a bad eye/skin infection probably caused by wearing the dam things.  Three lots of different antibiotics, lotions and potions galore and still can't get a face to face with the GP, fed up of uploading selfies yet again, to be told oh it looks like a skin infection, I may need to be referred to a dermatologist.  Wow that's good I thought until the GP told me it would be through them i.e. they would send the pics to whoever and get back to me.  I will now seek out a private appointment with a dermatologist.  When I found a couple on line today even then the earliest appointment is 5 days away!  Someone suggested I go to A & E - no I don't want to sit there for hours wearing a dam mask and hope there is a dermatologist available.  So I will join anyone in the mask burning when the time comes...   If others choose to wear them when they aren't compulsory I don't have a problem with that either.

Carol

However horrible an eye infection may be and they certainly can be, it is never going to compete with Covid-19 in terms of the damage it can do both short and long term (from death to severe organ damage to endless long Covid). If you have a medical reason for not wearing a mask then you can get an exemption. I don't think many people like wearing masks but they provide essential protection in society against a most insidious disease.  

• Like 2
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Carol

I think it’s rather telling that Fauci’s emails recently come out state masks, the kind most of the public wears, does no good other than catching a few “large” droplets. If you remember, that’s what he said at the very beginning of the pandemic. I think it was likened to trying to stop mosquitos with a chain link fence. Why he changed that up later, who knows, but it’s been suggested politics were involved. Aren’t they usually?

So if someone coughs hard, a mask will catch the large droplets, while the fine ones in the same cough go right through.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Dislike 1

56 minutes ago, MDM said:

However horrible an eye infection may be and they certainly can be, it is never going to compete with Covid-19 in terms of the damage it can do both short and long term (from death to severe organ damage to endless long Covid). If you have a medical reason for not wearing a mask then you can get an exemption. I don't think many people like wearing masks but they provide essential protection in society against a most insidious disease.  

Yes I completely agree with you, just very frustrating not still being able to have a face to face with a GP.  I won't ask for an exemption at the moment, I have started using, probably too late, the cotton masks instead of the blue ones and trying to ensure they don't ride up and touch my eyes, which sometimes the other ones did.

Carol

58 minutes ago, MDM said:

The only thing I can make of getting a red arrow there is that somebody thinks that an eye infection is more serious than Covid. I can only think how idiotic.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MDM said:

The only thing I can make of getting a red arrow there is that somebody thinks that an eye infection is more serious than Covid. I can only think how idiotic.

It’s hard for me to figure out the red arrow applications to begin with. Why not get in a discourse as to why one disagrees?

13 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Yes I completely agree with you, just very frustrating not still being able to have a face to face with a GP.  I won't ask for an exemption at the moment, I have started using, probably too late, the cotton masks instead of the blue ones and trying to ensure they don't ride up and touch my eyes, which sometimes the other ones did.

Carol

I can understand the frustration of not seeing a GP. If it was not for the dermatologist I see through the NHS who referred me for investigations in other hospital departments then I would have seen nobody about long Covid to date. If you need a dermatologist and are willing to travel to Peterborough, I can highly recommend this doctor - he is the best medic I have ever had anything to do with and he has a private clinic as well as his NHS work. 

12 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

It’s hard for me to figure out the red arrow applications to begin with. Why not get in a discourse as to why one disagrees?

Yes I agree although there are certain subjects that no amount of discourse will resolve (e.g.politics as we know only too well) 

• Alamy locked this topic