The Curse of the Covid Mask

35 minutes ago, MDM said:

I can understand the frustration of not seeing a GP. If it was not for the dermatologist I see through the NHS who referred me for investigations in other hospital departments then I would have seen nobody about long Covid to date. If you need a dermatologist and are willing to travel to Peterborough, I can highly recommend this doctor - he is the best medic I have ever had anything to do with and he has a private clinic as well as his NHS work. 

Thank you Michael, shame Peterborough is a bit of a trek for me but if I can't get anywhere, I may well take you up on it.  I uploaded selfie No. 2 to the surgery today but didn't get a call back.  I will give it until tomorrow and hope that the appointment with the dermatologist I found is still available, probably should have just booked it anyway for next Friday but thought would wait on the GP surgery getting back to me.... 

As for red and green arrows, maybe someone hit the wrong button, I never use them so not guilty your honour😉

Carol

• Love 1

53 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

It’s hard for me to figure out the red arrow applications to begin with. Why not get in a discourse as to why one disagrees?

i would generally agree, but the one time i tried that last year, had the person go through bunch of my posts with red arrows- regardless of the content- one was hilarious because not realising the context a few couldn't figure out what the issue was with a "thank you" kind of post .  so i just move on period most times now. 

Just now, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Thank you Michael, shame Peterborough is a bit of a trek for me but if I can't get anywhere, I may well take you up on it.  I uploaded selfie No. 2 to the surgery today but didn't get a call back.  I will give it until tomorrow and hope that the appointment with the dermatologist I found is still available, probably should have just booked it anyway for next Friday but thought would wait on the GP surgery getting back to me.... 

As for red and green arrows, maybe someone hit the wrong button, I never use them so not guilty your honour😉

Carol

No worries Carol. I didn't think you did hit the red arrow. It would not make sense. 

It is probably too far to come but I just thought I would mention the dermatologist. I won't go into my medical history here but this doctor saved my sanity when I had a crazy itchy rash and the GP had no idea what it was. They kept giving me cortisone creams which did nothing. If my recommendation for MacUpgrades was 5 out of 10 on a reliability scale, this doc is a 10/10 - the sort of doctor who really cares for the patient. 

2 hours ago, MDM said:

No worries Carol. I didn't think you did hit the red arrow. It would not make sense. 

It is probably too far to come but I just thought I would mention the dermatologist. I won't go into my medical history here but this doctor saved my sanity when I had a crazy itchy rash and the GP had no idea what it was. They kept giving me cortisone creams which did nothing. If my recommendation for MacUpgrades was 5 out of 10 on a reliability scale, this doc is a 10/10 - the sort of doctor who really cares for the patient. 

That was the care I got from my Oncologist. He was not only excellent, but was not afraid of giving his patients a non-sexual, very kind hug. In these litigious days, he was brave. Cancer patients need to connect with their doctor. No matter my concerns, when he walked in the room I always felt better. He saw me as a person, and when he found out we had season tickets to my favorite school’s football games, he set up my treatments on a schedule around the game schedule so I would feel well enough to make the most important ones.

Value these special docs, they’re rare.

2 hours ago, MDM said:

I'm so pleased you got it sorted, as above with the cortisone creams - they seem to make my problem worse, am not using them anymore and GP actually said not to.  Antibiotics seemed not to have any effect hence my frustration.   I actually resorted to putting teabags on my eyes tonight, maybe I should have attempted a selfie like that and sent to the GP😃.  Your recommendation for Macupgrades was 10/10 for me no way 5 !  Anyway, will see what happens tomorrow. 

5 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

That was the care I got from my Oncologist. He was not only excellent, but was not afraid of giving his patients a non-sexual, very kind hug. In these litigious days, he was brave. Cancer patients need to connect with their doctor. No matter my concerns, when he walked in the room I always felt better. He saw me as a person, and when he found out we had season tickets to my favorite school’s football games, he set up my treatments on a schedule around the game schedule so I would feel well enough to make the most important ones.

You were indeed very fortunate Betty and good to know.  

Carol

15 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I do Betty. Absolutely. 

3 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

I'm so pleased you got it sorted, as above with the cortisone creams - they seem to make my problem worse, am not using them anymore and GP actually said not to.  Antibiotics seemed not to have any effect hence my frustration.   I actually resorted to putting teabags on my eyes tonight, maybe I should have attempted a selfie like that and sent to the GP😃.  Your recommendation for Macupgrades was 10/10 for me no way 5 !  Anyway, will see what happens tomorrow. 

You were indeed very fortunate Betty and good to know.  

Carol

It sounds like it may not be a bacterial infection if the antibiotics are doing nothing. I had viral conjunctivitis some years ago and antibiotic drops were making it worse as they were irritating my eyes. It is very difficult still as the GPs have their hands tied in relation to referrals. The NHS waiting list for is now over 5 million - incredible. I think that is why the GPs might say go to A&E but that it is generally advised not to do that unless it is something really urgent as the A&Es get overwhelmed. Is there no walk-in health centre for minor injuries where you are? Not ideal but ...

You have my sympathy whatever good that will do. Best of luck with it.

1 hour ago, MDM said:

I do Betty. Absolutely. 

It sounds like it may not be a bacterial infection if the antibiotics are doing nothing. I had viral conjunctivitis some years ago and antibiotic drops were making it worse as they were irritating my eyes. It is very difficult still as the GPs have their hands tied in relation to referrals. The NHS waiting list for is now over 5 million - incredible. I think that is why the GPs might say go to A&E but that it is generally advised not to do that unless it is something really urgent as the A&Es get overwhelmed. Is there no walk-in health centre for minor injuries where you are? Not ideal but ...

Also, if you have a bacterial infection, steroid drops can make it worse. Most often a bacterial infection will cause matter (pus) to gather in the corners of your eye. If you have no discharge, it’s likely a viral infection. But the rash around it has me puzzled. I don’t think I saw that in the 10 years I worked closely with patients for my Ophthalmologist. 
OK, I reread what you said. Skin infection, not a rash. And I’m not a doctor. Good luck, Carol.

Edited by Betty LaRue

10 hours ago, MDM said:

I do Betty. Absolutely. 

9 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Also, if you have a bacterial infection, steroid drops can make it worse. Most often a bacterial infection will cause matter (pus) to gather in the corners of your eye. If you have no discharge, it’s likely a viral infection. But the rash around it has me puzzled. I don’t think I saw that in the 10 years I worked closely with patients for my Ophthalmologist. 
OK, I reread what you said. Skin infection, not a rash. And I’m not a doctor. Good luck, Carol.

Thank you both, I forgot Betty used to work with an Ophthalmologist.  The first week I had it, the GP said is was Belpharitis, the whole eyelid was swollen, this went down after a week, well in the corner of the eye at least but then it started to affect the skin at the outer edge of the eye.  It kind of looked like when you have been scalded by boiling water, also affected was under the eye above the cheek bone, looking like one massive eye bag much to my horror, I think this is why they think it's a skin thing.  My actual eye is ok and nothing actually hurts which I guess is a bonus, another reason why I don't really want to bother A & E.  Apologies if this is too much information😉 The puffiness has gone down a little this morning, maybe the teabags helped.  Very frustrating not even being able to get through to the GP surgery so far this morning to see if they have done a referral.  The message I have to listen to is 2 minutes 2 seconds long after which I am told I am No. 17 in the queue.  I am trying to keep my cool, all I want to know is if they have done a referral or I need to find one myself, to my a simple question but nothing is simple nowadays😄

Carol

2 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Thank you both, I forgot Betty used to work with an Ophthalmologist.  The first week I had it, the GP said is was Belpharitis, the whole eyelid was swollen, this went down after a week, well in the corner of the eye at least but then it started to affect the skin at the outer edge of the eye.  It kind of looked like when you have been scalded by boiling water, also affected was under the eye above the cheek bone, looking like one massive eye bag much to my horror, I think this is why they think it's a skin thing.  My actual eye is ok and nothing actually hurts which I guess is a bonus, another reason why I don't really want to bother A & E.  Apologies if this is too much information😉 The puffiness has gone down a little this morning, maybe the teabags helped.  Very frustrating not even being able to get through to the GP surgery so far this morning to see if they have done a referral.  The message I have to listen to is 2 minutes 2 seconds long after which I am told I am No. 17 in the queue.  I am trying to keep my cool, all I want to know is if they have done a referral or I need to find one myself, to my a simple question but nothing is simple nowadays😄

Carol

Carol, your eye symptoms sound very similar to mine. I’m not sure my dermatologist helped me much, other than prescribing a very mild cortisone cream and also telling me to use something petroleum based like Aquaphor or Vaseline on the eyelids a few times a day. The cortisone helped calm down the irritation, but I also used it as sparingly as possible. After that, not applying any makeup other than, eventually, mascara solved the issue. I don’t normally wear much makeup anyway, but it was as if I’d suddenly become allergic to it all, even brand new products.

58 minutes ago, Cecile Marion said:

Carol, your eye symptoms sound very similar to mine. I’m not sure my dermatologist helped me much, other than prescribing a very mild cortisone cream and also telling me to use something petroleum based like Aquaphor or Vaseline on the eyelids a few times a day. The cortisone helped calm down the irritation, but I also used it as sparingly as possible. After that, not applying any makeup other than, eventually, mascara solved the issue. I don’t normally wear much makeup anyway, but it was as if I’d suddenly become allergic to it all, even brand new products.

That is interesting. I was wondering if it might be something to do with an allergy to makeup on top of other factors (immune systems might be very reactive at the moment after vaccinations?). It is also hay fever season and the pollen is very high. If we can't get to the bottom of Betty's memory problems (computer memory that is), we are determined to diagnose Carol's eye/skin problem 😎.

I developed blepharitis after my lens replacement episode a few years ago but it is not bad. I just wash my eyes with warm water in the morning and remove crusty bits. I have very sensitive eyes anyway - pollen and dust really irritate my eyes. I have arrived at an age where I don't really care any more if I permanently look like I have been out on the town the night before. I know I haven't and I only drink coffee and orange juice. But it just affects my eyelids. I wasn't aware it could affect the surrounding areas.  

Edited by MDM

Back to masks. Keep wearing them people. Don't get complacent even if you are doubly vaccinated. Cases of the Delta (Indian) variant are increasing rapidly in Britain. Latest figures appear to show it is very significantly more transmissible and potentially more resistant to vaccines. 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, MDM said:

Back to masks. Keep wearing them people. Don't get complacent even if you are doubly vaccinated. Cases of the delta (Indian) variant are increasing rapidly in Britain. Latest figures appear to show it is very significantly more transmissible and potentially more resistant to vaccines. 

and this should be a wake up call for the rest of the world, vaccines are just one important layer in the Swiss cheese model of prevention, we need to continue other layers as well. 

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Cecile Marion said:

Eye makeup becomes contaminated after awhile. Bacteria is everywhere, even on our skin. Then in a moist environment, especially in mascara or liquid foundation, it multiplies until it’s toxic soup.  That’s why often you’ll see advice to throw it away and get new after 3 months or so.(maybe two?) In spite of my experience, I don’t follow that advice, but usually I need a new mascara about then anyway. I just don’t keep track of when I opened it for the first time.

The time or two I had an eye infection years ago, I did throw everything out because whether I got it from the makeup, I surely contaminated it after.

Michael, I’m like you. A multitude of allergies and sometimes my eyes itch like crazy. I’m blue-eyed (well, sometimes they look green) and very sun sensitive. I wear sunglasses outdoors or sometimes I feel absolutely blinded by the sun.  Once when I was 17, I couldn’t afford sunglasses. I was driving on a two lane road in the Mohave desert, the sun so bright I saw water and wavy shimmers on the road ahead (optical illusion) when I became so blinded I couldn’t see. I had to pull off the road until the painful spasms eased, tears streaming.

Edited by Betty LaRue

• Alamy locked this topic