Another PU rant

1 hour ago, Dyn Llun said:

Easy way to check if it's a genuine PU. It should not have been bought by an account client so will be paid by credit card before download. (They get a full size image of course to use in perpetuity ad infinitum). On that basis it should appear in your 'cleared balance' column right away. Doesn't mean that you will get paid right away of course, only when your balance is over $50 and at the end of the month.  

I always assumed that credit card sales didn’t clear for a certain number of days, to allow for refunds.

But looking at the Alamy contributor info it actually says ‘You’ll get paid when the customer pays us.’ So if that’s the case why don’t PU sales paid for by credit card appear immediately as cleared for payment? 

Perhaps Alamy can clarify this? 

• Love 2
  • Like 3

The other answer I would like is why PU prices vary so much? 

Exchange rates will make a slight difference but, for example, we have two PU sales with identical licence details, one for $19.99 and one for $10.65. Both are the same ROW region. 

Two others are $12.79 UK and $11.44 EU.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

Okay, this is getting silly! Another PU sale today from ROW ( with the licence details in Spanish) for $6.99.

How on earth can a PU sale be discounted? 

Try google: Alamy discount.

wim

edit: 8 presentations or PU out of 18 sales total so far this month is a bit weird for me. Is there maybe some marketing going on? Or is all that suspicion justified?

Has any of all those PU sales turned up on line? (I'm going to count and check all mine so far this year.)

Edited by wiskerke

1 hour ago, wiskerke said:

edit: 8 presentations or PU out of 18 sales total so far this month is a bit weird for me. Is there maybe some marketing going on? Or is all that suspicion justified?

Has any of all those PU sales turned up on line? (I'm going to count and check all mine so far this year.)

Of our last 25 sales 12 have been PU.

Of the 25 sales prior to these only 1 was PU.  Something going on....

7 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

Okay, this is getting silly! Another PU sale today from ROW ( with the licence details in Spanish) for $6.99.

How on earth can a PU sale be discounted? 

I had 6 the 1st of April exactly the same. 

3 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

Something very fishy is likely going on, 12 PU out of 25 sales obviously isn’t normal. If it was me I would query it with Alamy.

30 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

Edit.....OOPS! This is actually wrong...my spreadsheet has gone rogue and duplicated some sales! 

Of our last 18 sales 8 have been PU...nearly the same percentage!

Edited by Thyrsis

royal-bank-rbc-royal-bank-of-canada-sign

The above image of mine was sold for $ for the following honestly declared use.

Usage: Editorial, Global Capital website, Emerging Markets Printed Magazine & Printed Supplements
Media: Magazine - print, digital and electronic

It would havehad a higher price if it had sold at $$ for Personal Use. Lets have more dishonest Personal Use sales.

I think the original $ price is fair for this particular stock photo. I see my image as boring and uninspiring. The image is something that any untalented photographic poser with a camera could have accomplished on a bad day. A piece of dung that hit the fan, and was lucky enough to stick to the wall.

When we are discussing image prices it would be useful if the image was posted to the forum. That way forum members could make a better judgement regarding the quality of the image and therefore the reasonableness of the price under discussion.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 6

I've given you a red arrow. Something I have hardly ever done before.

No image is a 'piece of dung'. 

What an insult to the client, the agency, and all of us. 

If you contribute 'dung' images to Alamy then maybe you should stop doing so. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1
  • Like 3

Bill must be in a grumpy mood (or out of meds). As far as sign images go, I think his "wavy" RBC image is very good. It really caught my attention. Definitely worth more than $, especially from a "Global Capital" website. Should I give myself a red arrow?

P.S. I've had "dung" images license for PU and presentation that have also sold for $$$. It all depends on who the buyer is.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1
  • Like 3

I wonder if part of the problem is that Presentation Use isn’t very well defined and I can see an organisation that is t familiar with stock buying that license thinking it’s ok for web use. I have at least two such sales that I have subsequently found on an organisation’s website. In one case Alamy gave up chasing the customer and the other is still ongoing for months. 

1 hour ago, Sally said:

I wonder if part of the problem is that Presentation Use isn’t very well defined and I can see an organisation that is t familiar with stock buying that license thinking it’s ok for web use. I have at least two such sales that I have subsequently found on an organisation’s website. In one case Alamy gave up chasing the customer and the other is still ongoing for months. 

Could be the case with Presentation Use but our sales were all Personal Use. 

Also is it a huge coincidence that one of our images had a zoom the same day it was bought for personal use? 

Edited by Thyrsis

5 hours ago, Sally said:

Yes, I imagine that some people consider presentation and personal use to include web and social media use. Most people aren't familiar with image liscencing, especially these days when RF and microstock rule the roost.

6 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

Also is it a huge coincidence that one of our images had a zoom the same day it was bought for personal use? 

Actually this would be something expected.  Personal use should not be clients with accounts, so i would expect them to be paid through CC the day they are downloaded, and cleared 45 days later as per our agreement with Alamy.

actually this is the one positive of PU from my experience, they don't stay in the "uncleared" for months on end.

Edited by meanderingemu

1 hour ago, AlbertSnapper said:

Since I stopped allowing Personal Use licences, I haven't seen an upturn in Presentation Use licences.

I still allow PU sales, and I have noticed a bit of an uptick in Presentation sales during the past couple of months. They now outnumber PU. However, my lowest sales these days tend to be editorial websites,

• Love 2

On 28/04/2021 at 05:17, Bill Brooks said:

That way forum members could make a better judgement regarding the quality of the image and therefore the reasonableness of the price under discussion.

You sound a bit Elitist Bill....surely not ? so glad you're not editing my images as mine could end up on the Dung Heap 😃.....just tongue in cheek mate....come to think of it i would then sell more🤣

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

Could be the case with Presentation Use but our sales were all Personal Use. 

Same thing here. Search term, zoom, buy, PU. Of a sign?

2 hours ago, William Caram said:

You sound a bit Elitist Bill....surely not ? so glad you're not editing my images as mine could end up on the Dung Heap 😃.....just tongue in cheek mate....come to think of it i would then sell more🤣

Ah yes, but 'twould be the Dung Heap of History (alongside mine no doubt). 🤓

39 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Ah yes, but 'twould be the Dung Heap of History (alongside mine no doubt). 🤓

Ahh the old Dung Heap of History....now there's a Crappy story 😀

Thanks John we can only keep making images and hope  they rise above the Dung variety....BTW your images are great.